Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube groove not filling! Urgh... Please HALP!(Star lubesizer)

Boolit Man

Lube groove not filling! Urgh... Please HALP!(Star lubesizer)

The right holes in the die are plugged and I have the punch set correctly. I tapped the bullet down into the die until the lube groove was visible through the holes. Then I lowered the punch to the bullet in the machine. Everything worked great for about 5,000 bullets or so and now it's not filling up the groove all the way.

The Air pressure setting is at 100psi and the heater base is at about the perfect level. Not too runny not to solid. I have no idea what the hell is wrong. Sometimes the first few bullets will be great and then it will start spitting them out with the groove only partially filled.

I know that the air pressure doesn't effect the lube filling the groove. What I'm wondering is how I would increase the pressure that forces lube into the groove? Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get this fixed?

I've tried turning up the heat and it gets too runny.

Do you need to add more lube?

If some debris got into the reservoir, it could have plugged the lube holes. Try pulling the sizing die and check the holes.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDorado View Post
    Do you need to add more lube?
    haha no, I've checked that.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    If some debris got into the reservoir, it could have plugged the lube holes. Try pulling the sizing die and check the holes.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I will do this as soon as I get home. Good idea.

Boolit Bub
    I've found when lubing a large batch sometimes I need to wait for the lube heat to catch up. It will start getting a whitish hue, so I'll take a 5 min break to let it get hot enough again.

Boolit Master

That same thing drove me nuts for a while - until I realized the lube gets squirted at the very bottom of the stroke. I was short stroking mine. Lesson learned. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    That same thing drove me nuts for a while - until I realized the lube gets squirted at the very bottom of the stroke. I was short stroking mine. Lesson learned. Mike
    You, me too. Watch the action of the machine and see that it is compressing the bottom spring where the long lever is. The bottom of the stroke compresses the spring and pushes the piston that pushes the lube into the chamber. Keep making minute adjustments till you get what you want (Punch depth).

Boolit Master
    Further to what the captain said, you need to put emphasis on the bottom of the stroke sometimes, I do it all the time as it is a habit.

Boolit Mold
    perhaps your top punch has backed out a bit so your not activating the piston to open fully.

Banned
    The operation of the Star/Magma is very simple. First before operating with the die out push a bullet into the die and use a needle or very small pin to see that the bullet lube grooves are aligned to the lube holes in the die. Once this is done re-install the die back into the sizer and srew the punch into the ram so that it will NOT touch the bullet when the ram is in its lowest position. Once this is done and the ram is at its lowest then start to lower the punch by unscrewing it until it touches the bullet. At this point tighten the punch nut. Now you need to find the point in which the lube will flow without running out of the sizer in liquid form and when you find this record this temp and save it. Lastly the pressure.... you now have the correct height in the die for the bullet, the correct temp on the lube so now you simply adjust the working air pressure. Try 60 or lower for a softer lube as a starting point and higher pressure for a harder lube.

Lube not filling the grooves? Two things to look at once the basic height has been set and that is the temp of the lube and the lube pressure. When you have the lube temp correct the only variable left is the pressure. Your not going to blow up the cylinder or the air cylinder so don't be afraid to turn it past 100psi or more depending on the lube. Milkey color? probably the lack of lube in the cylinder or the temp needing to be cranked up a bit.

It took me a while but I recorded the open height settings for my different bullets. I do however have ONLY dies with single rows of lube holes that I specified to be made. Now, once this is done a person can simply make either a piece of dowel rod cut to the length that is the same as your open height or one can machine a gauge out of a piece of brass or aluminum.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 10-07-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to keep watching as I have the same problem with mine and like your's it worked fine for about 4000 and I have not changed a thing and now its leaveing voids in the lube too

so I hope when you solve your problem it will help me solve mine too

John J

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by John J View Post
    I'm going to keep watching as I have the same problem with mine and like your's it worked fine for about 4000 and I have not changed a thing and now its leaveing voids in the lube too

so I hope when you solve your problem it will help me solve mine too

John J
    Could it be an air bubble? I have times that happens to me then it passes (my star also makes bubble popping noise when it clears up).

I am still new to my star, I am just on my 10th stick of lube.

It may be as simple as just giving it a little more dwell time at the bottom of the down stroke. The lube needs time to flow.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master

When I get air bubbles, I operate the star several times without a CB to let the lube and air come out. Then resume normal use. Usually works but sometimes have to do it longer. The lube is not wasted as it goes into the melt pot for refilling when lube is low ( I refill with melted lube and let it harden in the star).
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

It could likely be trapped air. It takes some trial-and-error to get to where the grooves fill completly with one stroke. I have some bullets that I just run through twice. The length of time at the full bottom of the stroke, where the lube valve is opened, is key. And, it is a variable of lube hardness, temperature, and pressure. Part science, part magic, and lots of learning. Just like a mold, your lube sizer is talking to you.

Banned

From eric:

are talking about running 120 PSI ran the temperature real low you would need that kind of pressure, 3 things to remember, heat, location and pressure, if the lube is too hot it will run, if the air pressure is to high you will be pushing the lube through the pump and in between the bullets (the lube passage is ALWAYS open from the lube tube to the die until you depress the pump piston, that is where the lubing pressure comes from, all you want to do with the air is replenish the lube you put on the bullets, if you are running a bullet with a very small lube grove you may run your pressure as low as 20 PSI, if on the other hand you are running a 45-70 with 3 large lube grooves you will need to raise the pressure) and the location of your punch can be a critical as 1/16 of a turn up or down on some bullets. You can look at the bullets and tell by where the lube is in the groove, if the lube tapers off to a point, either high or low, move the bullet punch the direction you want the lube to go.
    Best regards,

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Star for about 25 years but learned a new lesson yesterday. I have a .311" die that has 21 lube holes in it, lubing the RCBS 30 cal 180 FP with three lube grooves. I plugged the holes I didn't need, lined up the punch, pre-heated the Star, hooked up the air line & what the hay, very little lube in the grooves. Checked the punch depth & it was correct. Try again and little lube.

Unlike the OP in this thread where he had recently lubed a lot of boolits I hadn't used this die in years. What I discovered after a bunch of head scratching and a lot of cussing was that old lube had dried in the holes that I was trying to use. Cleaned it up well with a pick and brake cleaner and all is well. I had never had this happen before and it was a bit perplexing, frustrating and aggravating for a while. Just something for others to keep an eye out for.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    One more thing that can cause incomplete groove filling is the temp of the boolit itself. In winter I sometimes place a tray of boolits on a hot plate to warm them up a little to help the lube flow into the grooves.
    just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Same here.

Had me scratching my head and double checking everything before i realized i was short stroking on the downward pull just last weekend.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast