Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trap Door Carbine found in Attic. What to do with it?

I found his web site and input my model number. It says I should hear something back in 1 or 2 business days.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsap View Post
    Here is a web site with a serial number look up option. The dealer will e-mail you the results.

http://www.trapdoors.com

The guy in charge is Keith Rush and he is trustworthy. There is a phone number on the home page. Close up pictures of the action, rear sight, and the stock marks (known as a cartouche) are helpful.

I will second the comment above, don't mess it up just trying to do something in a hurry. It has set for several years in the same condition.

Doug
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

The funny part and the sad part is that when I removed the stock the barrel and action have a very nice blue there but the rest oh my gosh. I wish the underside was the top side lol.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It’s hard to tell from the pics but it looks pretty good on the outside. If it’s real carbine and not a made up cut down it would start at $1,500.00 for a junker and it could go up a lot more for Custer era. With only one X Serial number puts it at 1875 to 1876 so it $3,000.00 may be on the low end unless it gets dicked up by improper cleaning. With two X's it's 1889 or 1890 and after the date for carbines.

http://www.gun-data.com/springfield_trapdoors.html

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/FAQ.html
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

Any idea the story behind the rifle or who put it away all those years ago? Sounds like an intriguing story may be there.

Boolit Master

It is post Custer. It doesn't have the "long grip". Just the same it may be a nice piece but needs to be carefully looked over. A ton of them were cut back rifles.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Any idea the story behind the rifle or who put it away all those years ago? Sounds like an intriguing story may be there.

Nope no real story to it lol. It belonged to my Fathers Wife's Dad and many years ago he just threw it up into the attic and there it stayed till years after his passing. When we were cleaning out the house a bit is when it was found and I saved it from the dumpster lol. As everyone else said it is just an old rusted rifle. But I thought heck maybe it can be saved and used again.

Boolit Grand Master

I have always had a soft spot of Trapdoors. I have a couple of nice originals and a hand full of parts guns. Real carbines stocks with the original finish bring big money. Better pictures would be helpful.

I am currently building a carbine parts gun and I have been looking for the saddle ring and bar. A nice original set will go for $150.00 to $200.00.

Rough shape infantry rifles are a dime a dozen but original carbine stuff even in rough shape has significance value.

If you don’t want to mess with it post it here. I think you would be surprised at the level of interest it would bring.

Well from what I have been told that to re-barrel the rifle with a good bore original would run about $400.00 or so or to have a Brand New barrel contoured and fitted would be around the $500.00 mark. I like many others do not have funds falling out of my pockets sorry to say. So I am just wondering if it would be worth the money to do this or would I and the rifle be better off selling it to someone else that likes to mess with these kinds of things?

I just thought that it would make a dandy carry rifle and hog gun now and then. But as normal I could be wrong lol.

What kind of pictures would you like?

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to sell it pictures with enough clarity to judge the condition of the stock and metal will be required to determine value. The first thing to establish is if it’s a real carbine stock or a cut down rifle. A good quality picture of underside front of the stock would be helpful. Pictures of cartouches help also. Good examples here http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/TrapdoorStocks.html

Next would be pictures to determine the condition of the other parts.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-29-2013 at 07:26 PM.

I contacted Keith at Trapdoors Galore and he informed me it was made in 1889. And it is a Carbine. He informed me that he could re- barrel the rifle with a good bore pull off of which would not effect the value except to raise it due to it being made into a good shooter again and he will clean it up.

Now to figure out if it is worth the $450.00 to me to do so. I know once fixed it will be a $1500.00 rifle. But I do not fix things for Re Sale just for personal enjoyment.

Perma-Banned

Jester, here is my 2 cents as a collector of Trapdoors. Leave it alone and sell it. If the bore is as bad as you say the chances of getting it to shoot even decent are doubtful.

Boolit Grand Master

Jester, If you do sell it I am very interested but I will still need good pictures. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    OK I'll chime in. Don't do anything drastic till you cruise Ebay for a while. If you don't want to reline or mess up what you have, just buy a medium quality barrel for $100, or barreled action for $150, swap out and go shooting. The original stock and action sound good, so why not. None of this will affect collector value 1 cent. It can all go back to stock. If you find a rifle length barrel cut down to carbine length (very common) it could be very cheap (and very uncollectable) on ebay.

In Remembrance
    For 450.00, I would have to, as in be forced to go with it, if it would make it a shooter. It would have to be that much fun.

When my dad was a kid, he would ride logs down the bosque river when it was flooding quite a few miles then hitch hike back. There was an old long abandoned homestead on the river that he would sometimes spend the night in. he said there was an old sharps, (no real way to tell exactly what it was) on top of one of the rafter beams. Back then they were not worth anything to speak of. I often wondered what ever happen to it, if it was saved or just collasped when the old house did.

Boolit Master

If it was me I would replace the barrel. They are fun to shoot and it would be a great investment as well.

gmsharps

Boolit Man
    Years ago I was able to clean the junk out of a 1889 TD with Kroil and some patience. The barrel did look like the sewer pipe but cleaned up to do well with the Lee 405 HB bullet. It is worth the effort.

Has anyone dealt with Keith at Trapdoors Galore?

He seems like a good fellow from the talk we had on the phone.

Well from the little search I did things do not look good for Trapdoors Galore. So I am still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    If it was me I would replace the barrel. They are fun to shoot and it would be a great investment as well.

gmsharps

Replace the barrel with what and by whom?

I know someone who has a 1879 rifle that was cut down. I want the rear sight and I believe the barrel looked good. I can inquire more of this weapon if your interested. Tell me the length of your barrel from the action to the muzzle and we will see if it is long enough.

Boolit Buddy

This is a story as told to me by my father.

Our old next door neighbor Bob was an gun enthusiast. He was at a gun show and noticed an old Remington Rolling Block in what he believed to be 45-70. He loved his 45-70's! He bought it for the parts as the condition was absolutely horrid rusted beyond belief but the wood was in good condition. He got it for a steal. When he got it home he put it in a closet and forgot about it for several years. He eventually found it again and decided to see if he could clean it up a bit to check the bore. A brush thru the bore showed that it was not rust but dried out cosmaline. With a lot of elbow grease and cleaning products he found that the barrel and action were in excellent condition. He also found that Theodore Roosevelts name was ingraved on the action and barrel. Bob placed a call to Remington to check the serial number and find out the background on this rifle. He was told that he would be receiving a call back within the next few days. The next morning he received a call from some higher-up at Remington and was offered several thousand dollars and a new firearm of his choosing for the rifle. This was pending someone from Remington flying out and verifying the rifles condition and authenticity. The story goes that the rifle was one that Theodore Roosevelt had taken on one of his expeditions. The rifle was crated up afterwards and shipped back to the states. The crate containing this rifle and a few others was lost in transit eventually making it into our neighbors hands. Bob refused Remingtons offer and the rifle remained in his ownership until his passing in May of 2000. I never found out what his family ever did with that rifle after his passing.

Mario
    dagunnut