MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxPBcastcoLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Velocity threshold for cast rifle boolits.

Congratulations and a great telling of the story.

Boolit Master

I'm sure I might get some grief for adding to an old thread, but so be it. I still look at old encyclopedias for knowledge. My first 'cast boolit' rifle doesn't count. Marlin 1894, 41 Mag, 30+ years ago, in fact my first rifle purchase. Back then, I wanted to buy an old 1896 Spanish Mauser re-chambered in .308 W. I had a buddy with an FFL who argued that 'the action wouldn't hold up to 7.62 NATO. I argued I would be shooting cast only, and lower pressure. So much for getting an inexpensive milsurp arsenal refurbished rifle in as-new conditioned for 79 bucks.

8 years ago, Dad loaned me his sporterized Springfield 03-03. I asked him if I could try shooting cast through his rifle and he said 'why not?' The only 30 caliber mold I had was a Lee C309-150 RF I had bought for 30-30 WCF for which I had no rifle. It was on sale so what the heck. Dad's rifle gave me 'minute of soda can' off hand at 100 yards using Javelina lube. Good enough for me. I loaded some 30 Carbine loads for a buddy which performed the same. Tin cans deserve to die, rifles deserve to be shot off-hand because game rarely presents itself stationary in front of a shooting bench.

Some years ago, I purchased a Springfield M1A. I had built an AR15 chambered in 300 BO which shot fine with the 150 RF but purchased an NOE 309-150 3R Spitzer mold which killed tin cans. Same 100 Yard Minute of Tin Can off-hand accuracy. Then I started powder coating, bring on the 308 WIN. My wife wanted a decent mule deer gun so I collected 1, then 2, then the third. As Dad's 03A3 wasn't part of the deal I figured she deserved her own rifle.

As mentioned, the M1A was picked up used, not abused, someone's obvious field gun. A week later, a friend offered me a Sig Saur 716 Patrol rifle. Pristine, 1000 bucks below market value, 20 rounds through it. He bought it as his SWAT duty rifle before realizing such a heavy rifle was not what he needed, he returned to his Noveski 5.56. Lucky me, well my wife.

I had always wanted a Scout Rifle on the order of Col. Cooper's design. I was rather disappointed when Ruger introduced theirs with proprietary magazines. I blame my local gun shop for having a Mossberg on the shelf with a mounted bi-pod, a rifle which takes both the M1A and AR10 mags. Groovy, I already had mags for both platforms.

My NOE 150 Spitzer boolit shoots well through all 3 rifles. Sure, a heavier boolit will shoot better for game but so far tin cans quiver in fear of these rifles at the aforementioned distance. IMR 4227 gives me 2250 FPS and better without approaching max loads. I like the combo of powder and boolit, it just works.

Several months ago, a dear friend have me an 1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65 X 53 MM. I finally got the milsurp bolt gun I wanted so many years ago. I already have a mold for this chamber, some brass collected for conversion, and am only lacking dies for the reloading. This may become the cast rifle of choice and I may purchase the heavier mold this rifle was designed for. That is only if the Lee C312-155 2R doesn't kill cans at 100 yards.

I've spent the past several days reading this thread from beginning to end. I hope to soon be able to add range reports with pictures in the very new future.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=fcvan;4822982].........30+ years ago, in fact my first rifle purchase. Back then, I wanted to buy an old 1896 Spanish Mauser re-chambered in .308 W. I had a buddy with an FFL who argued that 'the action wouldn't hold up to 7.62 NATO. I argued I would be shooting cast only, and lower pressure. So much for getting an inexpensive milsurp arsenal refurbished rifle in as-new conditioned for 79 bucks.

I paid a buck more than that for mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi, all,

I have been working with David White in Oklahoma. He rechambered my Henry single shot .357 Mag rifle to .357 MAX. I have been trying different loads but have had trouble because he likes W296 powder and Remington 7 1/2 primers. He says the spherical powder needs magnum primers and the Rem 7 1/2's qualify. He says he has had vertical stringing with other standard primers and he's right. I had the same thing. Best I can do is CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. I just loaded up some with the Lee .358" 200 gr GC bullet. Hoping to achieve 2,000 fps or more. David says he has pushed them to 2,200 fps. I have been casting using 90% lead, 5 % tin and 5% antimony, what the Rotometals calls their version of Lyman #2 alloy. I have some linotype but don't think I can get expansion form them. Anyone have any experience with this line of work?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112