MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning for those who use the VA for Health Care

Boolit Buddy

Warning for those who use the VA for Health Care

I had an appointment with one of my VA doctors today. In the course of the appointment, I was subjected to a 5 minute Spanish Inquisition about guns. To give credit to my doctor it was obvious that he did not agree with what he was required to ask me, but he was forced to go through with this. In the course of that inquisition, I was asked if I owned a gun or guns, how they were stored, told about how dangerous they were, and just generally got the whole anti-gun lobby talking points. I answered all his questions with "I decline to answer" thought I felt like saying it was none of their GD business. The truly troubling part from the way the questions were phrased was any answer the Vet might give that was deemed unacceptable by the VA would have the potential to cause great harm to the vet's gun rights.

I have been using the VA for Health Care since I retired in 2004 from the Army and this is the first time I have ever received a grilling like this. I assume this is a recent requirement put on VA Doctors by someone higher up the food chain. I have contacted both my Senators, and my Representative to find out exactly what is going on here, but if experience is any guide I don't expect to get any answer back any time soon.

The only thing I can advise any Vet using the VA is be prepared for this. Also be very careful what answers you give to their questions. Any flippant answer or outrage you express over this line of questioning could cause trouble.

My answer to any intrusive questions is "no"...No is a complete sentence that needs no elaboration...I don't think I'd say "declines to answer" as that's just a red flag to the "fixit fairies" of the world and a reason to question further...I did business with the "Government" at several levels in my working career and found that if they get a straight and direct answer they just write it down and move on...I got lots of personal things in my life that I don't discuss with anyone...especially some paper pusher that is with the Government.

Banned

When forced, I like filling out forms. Use "N/A" a lot or something vague and/or obtuse. It is very hard for a form to get the best of me.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Been going to the VA for health care since about 2001. Have NEVER been asked any questions about anything to do with firearms or shooting. Last visit was 7 days ago, so I'm fairly up to date on what's happening there.

I have brought up target shooting to both my eye Dr. at the VA and the Audiologist also at the VA. The eye Dr. there is also a target shooter and we discussed local ranges and clubs in the area and what disciplines both of us shot. The discussion with the Audiologist was what hearing protection I used & went no further.

But then the only depression I suffer from is the price of gas. This statement does not imply anyone else is suffering from any depression, please make note of this.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Wasn't this posted here a few months ago?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Thanks for the update. I've got to stop by the VA this week to see an Audiologist. Army never let the VA know about my hearing aids they give me in 98' and I can't get the batteries from them.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

I've relied on the VA for my health care since the early '80s. I have a disability. I was first asked if I owned guns by the VA 3 or 4 years ago. My stock answer is '...I'm a VietNam Veteran...', and that is all they get. And, yes, they seemed embarrassed to have to ask the question. I haven't been asked that for a while, and if it's starting up again, I suspect it is in conjunction with the start-up of obamacare.

Boolit Master

Never got asked a straight up question like that, my last appt. was on 9-10. I DID get a questionnaire about was I contemplating suicide,, said no to EVERY QUESTION. If you even hint you're depressed, you can and will loose your CC(concealed carry) permit. And you WILL be contacted for psych evaluation!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Actually it was over 6 months ago . It is happening in non-VA offices too, my Dad got it some time back. The doc finished it w/'' the ACA just gave me another reason to buy more ammo .

FWIW OSHA just dropped an order for all of the employee clinic records for every employee 1/1/08 to 6/1/13 which includes a questionaire for hearing mine goes back to 95'.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I had a VA appointment today at 1300 with my Primary Care Provider. He asked first "did you get your head out of your *** and get a set of 308 dies for your Dillon and quit screwing around with a single stage press? Then he asked how I was feeling and do I need anything besides a cortisone shot today? After the shot, we talked about gardening, bullet casting and the advantages of owning dillons, one dedicated to small primers and one for large primers.

To be sure, there are some Vanderbilt residents and foreign born VA doctors with whom I would not discuss anything other than my immediate medical condition. Ditto for any private practice doctor that I did not know.

Boolit Buddy

Ha, I teach a reloading class and my VA doc and his son were some of my students.
    He and his son also came to my home for a class on bullet casting.
    That's all I have to say about that

Boolit Master

I got asked the same questions in April during my retirement physical from my Doc at Ft. Leavenworth. I looked at him and said, "I'm a 24-year multiple combat veteran. You are damn right I own firearms and I'll own them until the day I die as well. You want to ask any more stupid questions Captain?"
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Moderator Emeritus

I think this is done by the urging of the AMA.
    My Dr never asked me yet, But I've had a friend who uses a different Dr...I mean Doctors. He has been asked everytime he sees a new one. this has been going on with him since 9/11. Come to think about it... I wonder if there is a 'flag' on his chart ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

This came from Feinstein, she more or less said all vets have PTSD and should not own guns. I am not a vet but my last physical the questionnaire I was filling out asked if I own guns. I just crossed it off. Doc said that was what almost everyone was doing. Then he asked if I was going to the range after the physical, he was headed there soon as he finished with me.

She should not be allowed to waste air that a human being could use.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    She should not be allowed to waste air that a human being could use.
    I have no love for Feinstein or any other liberals. That being said, I disagree with the above statement. She has the same right to the oxygen in the air as well as the right to voice her opinions on this or any other topic of discussion. That is what defines this country and separates us from the rest of the world. Unfortunately, a Frenchman (Voltaire) said it best: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

My real concern is not over Feinstein's opinion, but rather that her constituents continue to reelect her and others of her ilk. It is a sad testament to the decline of our both our ideals and our education system when individuals have neither the critical thinking skills nor the desire for individual achievement and exceptionalism that is required for the continued existence of our republic.

Rant concluded. As you were.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with Bihica793, but only to an extent. Yes, she has a right to her opinion, and to voice it under the FIRST AMENDMENT. The problem stems from the fact that she is in a position of power and is trying to take away our right, granted by our creator and guaranteed to us by the SECOND AMENDMENT. She has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, and by her attempts to circumvent our rights, has broken said oath and should be scorned at the very least, regardless of her personal beliefs.
    JMHO

Boolit Master
    Which leads back to my concern for the people who continue to reelect her. If the people are willing to relinquish liberty for the illusion of security, they shall soon find they have neither (with apologies to Ben Franklin..).

Boolit Master
    I have been getting VA care for a number of years and have yet to be asked in politically correct Seattle. If asked, what my answer will be is that "up until a few years ago I was one of the senior outdoor hunting and fishing writers in the Pacific Northwest, what do you think." If asked about danger, my answer will be "my chainsaw scares me more." Recently I have been asked about a new program called "million veterans" or something like that. I looked at the multipage questionnaire and thought "no way".

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Ive been asked one time by a dr office about guns. I replied, duh, Im a Deputy. Shouldn't I have a gun? They didnt ask anymore gun questions....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast