Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Ross .500 Alley Cleaner Results

Ross .500 Alley Cleaner Results

I cast Alley Cleaner 473 gr as solid, 400 gr large HP pin. I size to .500 and shoot 1400-1500 fps. The alloy is WW equivalent and the solid version water dropped. HPs were air cooled. I get significant leading with the both.

How does it shoot for you?

There is only one small lube groove. Is it enough lube? I am using White Label BAC. Maybe I should add a PVC disc as a wad. Do you use wads? I am yet missing a .500 size punch to make them.
    Last edited by reader; 12-23-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    you may be sizing them too small at .500. I size for my 500 at .502. No leading so far.

Thanks. I found some problems with the gun. I have to fix them first.

Boolit Bub
    I am using the gas check version sized to .501 and am powder coating them with good results. No leading and 1.5 inch groups at 50 with 4198 powder. havnt been getting mushrooms with the hollow point though. Both the penta and large hp the nose just breaks up. I havnt done enough testing to see if its mold or alloy. What testing I have done was shooting newspaper, water jugs and soft dirt. Curious what you found with the gun?

Sorry, I did not notice your reply. Forgot to subscribe this thread. My gun had a defective barrel and very large cylinder side play. The barrel had machining marks through the full length.

A gas check and powder coating sounds great. That is an accurate load! I cannot shoot that well either, yet. Perhaps your alloy was too hard, or driving the boolits too fast and the nose blows up?

I've been registered here for a while and have gained a lot of knowledge from reading postings on the forums, finally wanted to give back to help others like I have been helped (mostly in spending $, lol). I had bought this mold from Mihec after the buy was over and worked up a few loads with it. I have the 5" John Ross 500 magnum and used it last summer to try the large HP version of the bullet on a small groundhog. (picture attached caution graphic) With a case full of IMR SR4759, I am getting 1350 fps with this 420 gr hp with 25 yard groups around 2". The groundhog was small and at 40 yards had a 3" exit hole. Mihec's molds are great and if anyone is thinking about getting one don't hesitate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1113.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	97317

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to see someone is getting some use out of these! I was hoping for more posted results with that cavernous HP.

I do not have a 500 S&W so have to live vicariously through you guys.

More photos of blowed up stuff required!

Longbow

I really like the bullet, hope to get it going faster this year out of my gun if my hand can handle the kick. I had made some solid nose for deer hunting but didn't get a chance to try them.

Boolit Grand Master

69Daytona ran two or maybe three group buys that I provided the 3D model and drawings for his design. He did the 700 gr. Grand Canyon hollowpoint and the 400 gr. Ross Alley Cleaner as well as a 385 gr. IIRC but I do not remember the group buy for the 385 gr. (I have the model and drawings though).

He sent me a beautifully expanded Grand Canyon HP (actually 610 grs. in HP IIRC but 700 grs. solid) and posted some video of things blowing up. Great fun!

I figured that Ross Alley cleaner in HP would be explosive to say the least. I debated buying a Handi Rifle in 500 S&W just to be able to shoot some. The 700 gr. boolit might be a bit too much of a good thing for me (hard on lead!) but that 400 gr. is a thing of beauty!

I have three Mihec Cramer moulds but just in puny .44 for my Marlin. They are works of art those are.

Feel free to post more photos of destruction (hint, hint). Like I said, I live vicariously through guys with 500 S&W's for this stuff.

Longbow

John Ross had seen my picture on my facebook page and replied that I should fill the hp with wax and crank it up to 2000 fps and shoot a melon, but to make sure I wear a raincoat.

Boolit Buddy
    using the 700gr conical HP pin (about 650gr lubed and checked) with i think 28gr of lilgun behind it made nice work of a jello filled pumpkin.

(click picture to play video)

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent! I love it! More!

Have you shot any critters with that Grand Canyon HP? Jack was planning to go hog hunting but he had some distractions and health issues so I don't know if he ever did get out. I haven't heard from him in a while now and I don't think he has been posting much. I should check up on him.

I sure like the photos and video. That 700 gr, boolit must be awful hard on the lead supply. Yikes! 10 boolits per pound. Even my shotgun slugs don't weight that much.

After all the hoopla during the group buys I figured there would be lots of posting of results but so far I haven't seen many. Those giant HP's have got to be fun shooting water jugs and well... Jello filled pumpkins. I know I would be out destroying things.

Thanks for posting.

Longbow

Makes me want to grow pumkins in the garden this year, haha.

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately the government says it's to dangerous for us simple folk to go handgun hunting, but a 50bmg or browning 1919 is no problem

I may try to make some soft hollow points and try it in ballistics gel, but not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    using the 700gr conical HP pin (about 650gr lubed and checked) with i think 28gr of lilgun behind it made nice work of a jello filled pumpkin.

(click picture to play video)

Could you please furnish me a link to the sale of this mold? I'd settle for just the solid point(no pins).
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

For those of you wanting good expansion from these John Ross Hps the boolit needs to be 8-10 bhn pretty much 50% clip ons and 50% stick on WW, that's what I was using and got good expansion as low as 900fps, try to use a powder that fills the case and use a this wad between boolit and powder. I keep mine sized to .501 and have had no leading problems and my John Ross molds are plain base.
    I had a few saved to send to Longbow but they got lost or pocketed when I moved. Still waiting for shoulder to heal after falling off my roof and shattering it and some ribs before I can shoot the beast again.

Boolit Grand Master

I appreciate the thought and effort but you better heal up! Yeah, I fell off my roof too but landed on my feet... tore up an ankle fairly badly but overall got off lucky (luckier than you for sure).

I was amazed at how many people have "roof stories" or more correctly "falling of roof stories".

You have certainly had your share of unpleasantness the last couple of years. I hope things settle down for you.

Take care and heal up!

Longbow