MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: black power in modern 12 gauge once again, need info

Boolit Buddy

black power in modern 12 gauge once again, need info

Crazy Idea getting closer. Have cut down , single barrel shotgun ,gifted to me , Good shape , works well and have fired on occasion .
    Going to try some blackpower loads for the noise of it. Found a mold at thrift store that is for ball of .317 and 9 of them fit in a AA cup nicely (haven't weighed it but looking for about one ounce of shot. Going to use winchester AA hull cause I have plenty. One fella here suggested 82 grains (3 drams) to be the charge. From what I see that looks about right. Saw some on internet for 75 -100 as a charge. Now there's this , I have FFFG power and one site said that was dangerous , to fast a burn, to much pressure . 2F was what is needed, other sites no mention of what to use. Powder I have says good for pistols, rifles and shotguns. What say the experts here?.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bill, give this a read - the best there is about loading BP shotshells ...
    http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Remember the concept of square loads: equal powder to equal shot
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    The load I have been shooting for several years in both a Remington and Ithaca 12 gauge hammer guns from the 1890's is 80 grains of 2F and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I load #8's for trap,target and load #5's or 6's for my hunting. Both of my shotguns are damascus and currently have 2 3/4" chambers.

I choose a plastic empty that I pick up as scrap at my trap club. I usually load one of the 'promotional' empties as I load them with black powder only once and then discard them.

I size and prime and load my powder charge into the case. I then insert a predetermined non plastic wad column into the cartridge. Then I go to my MEC 12 gauge loader and in dropping my shot charge I also apply pressure to firmly seat the wad column. My wad column is just long enough to give me enough space remaining in the cartridge to apply a regular star crimp with my MEC loader.

So for me, this goes relatively quick and easy with no additional equipment needed beyond my regular 12 gauge loading machine. I have been shooting these for near to 10 years now and probably load around 200 rounds like this per year. I've been pretty happy with my hunting success on wild pheasants in South Dakota.
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Buddy
    Well , got out and shot my first black powder , mickey mouse, 12 gauge shells.Did work out, but advice was mixed on FFFG powder and .my shot was nine .317 balls I cast ( had the mold). Anyway put AA hull , 75 grains power, AA wad. shot and a poor crimp together and went to the range. Gun was a cut down New England single shot rated for 3 inch shells.
    Not being totally a fool I tied her down and cord shot the first one. Boom, no wait, I meant B O O M. Loud and smokey, but OK, success. Second one put 7 pellets on paper plate at 15 yards. Will try it again next time out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	82646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	82647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	82648

sounds like fun for sure but gotta suggest that you take your question to the "blackpowder cartridge section" as you may just get more info on your particular loading style. this is a paperpatching section and few paperpatch for a modern shotgun shooting shot of any kind. more info should be garnered over on that section of our wonderful forum.

to add to your post tho ... I shoot a muzzle loading double with GREAT success. I get #4's to pattern super out to 35 yards with my shotgun and it shoot ball's of .690 diameter rite to where I aim with either barrel out to 50+ yards.

mine just loads a little slower then yours but im bettin I can hit rite along with you at any reasonable shotgun range. I don't see why the loading of a plastic shell should be any different then in a barrel from the muzzle. I don't use any plastic at all and just the awful cardboard wads and over shot card. why not load a few using this antique method only in a plastic hull. you only shoot 1 at a time from your shotgun anyway so there should be no need for a crimp at the mouth should there ?

Boolit Buddy
    This here is a man at work. http://youtu.be/8uJouw9uh84

unclogumbill

Could you respectfully TAKE A HIKE to another forum??
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    No need to be pricks about it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    unclogumbill

Could you respectfully TAKE A HIKE to another forum??
    Could you respectfully TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE??

And on the way there, say howdy to Frank.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to see ya back Recluse!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Glad to see ya back Recluse!
    1Shirt!
    +1 to that