Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Smelting Pot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    And I'd bet this route would be cheaper than a large contraption purpose-made for smelting large amounts of lead.
    This is not necessarily true. I have less money in my burner and pot build, than if I bought the fryer kit and dutch oven.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    This is not necessarily true. I have less money in my burner and pot build, than if I bought the fryer kit and dutch oven.

Shad
    Well, I wasn't thinking of a homebuilt thing. He was asking about a store-bought thing for smelting large amounts, I just figured a turkey kit and dutch oven would be cheaper. Building your own would definitely beat both for cost.

D Crockett pots look good

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Find a turkey fryer or fish fryer setup on clearance. Give the aluminum pot away to your wife or significant other or a neighbor, or goodwill. Aluminum pots are absolutely no good for melting lead. They will go soft and fail at temperature.
    Examine the stand from the turkey burner kit with an eye to it holding a pot of lead. Set it up and safely try to stand on it yourself. If it won't hold up your weight, it won't hold a pot of lead safely either. Bricks or concrete block stacked around the burner to support the burner will also shield the flame from wind and keep the heat under the pot. I got a massive increase in efficiency by piling brick around my smelter setup.
    I use a 3-gallon stainless steel stock pot I got from the scrap bin at the junkyard. Cost me nothing. May cost $5 or so as scrap value. Holds 200-250# easy. Find a nice stainless steel pot, fill it with wheel weights or scrap lead at the scrap dealer and buy the whole thing. Presto, instant first smelt.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

I wouldn't get rid of the aluminum pot, use it for cooking! That's what it's for. Frying turkeys, frying lots of fish, crawfish/shrimp boils, soups/stews, anything you need to make a lot of. The burner's just a burner, you can use lots of different vessels on it for different things.

Boolit Bub
    I use an old cast iron pot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12