WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New to me Rem 760.....

Boolit Buddy

New to me Rem 760.....

Gents, I am now in possession of an older model Rem 760 30-06 Carbine. It was left to me by a friend, who passed on this spring, along with a few other firearms. It's in great shape with just a tad of bluing loss here and there. It's a "vintage" 70's model with the high gloss finsh, white line spacers and bastweave checkered monte carlo stock. Defintiely not "my taste", but a well kept, low round count example of a Rem produced 70's model. It does have an equally nice condition Redfield 2 3/4X low profile scope in weaver mounts. I guess my question is does anyone have experience with one of the with CBs. We can't use rifles here in MA for hunting, so this would be more of a fun range gun with CBs. I load for a few '03s in 06 with a few different Lyman moulds with good results. Just looking for input into this rifle, with CBs, doesn't have to be in 06. Thanks for your time - Bill in MA

Boolit Master

Pictures, we want to see pictures!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I had one in 308 in the 70's like yours . That was the better grade stock of that time. I had several and all shoot very good with reloads. 1 moa is very common if you do your part. I now have a older one in 35 remington and it loves cast. very accurate. Fondly called an amish machine gun because they and the conservative mennonites favor them because operate closely to their pump shotguns. You will enjoy it and be amazed at the accuracy it is capable of.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I've had great luck with the Lyman 314299 bullet shooting 1500 to 1700 ftps with many powders.
    Whats the twist and Barrel length?
    How far you wanna reach out?

Knifeman

Boolit Master

I am fond of 760/7600 pumps. At any velocity up to factory loads, they can be just as accurate as a factory bolt action rifle. My current 'all purpose' load for range and 100 yard deer and pig hunting is a 165 Ranchdog bullet tumble lubed and gas checked over 2400 or 3031 at around 1,800 fps.

You have an excellent gun, and an excellent scope. Cast bullet loads at woods hunting velocities will be noisy but not as noisy as factory velocity jacketed bullets. Do wear good ear protection. My childhood dentist killed a grizzly bear with the same gun that you have but with factory iron sights and a 220 gr. factory bullet. Note, I said one bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    The rifle is the standard Rem carbine length, I believe 18 1/2". This will be just a range, fun gun 50 yds or so and most likely with Lyman 311291s, as I already use those in a few 1903 Springfields. It is what a few friends consider, "a typical Northeast deer rifle", just not here in Mass. I did not realize they had a reputation for good accuracy. I will test that "theory" on my next range date - Thanks for the responses - Bill in MA

Boolit Buddy
    Never shot cast in any of mine but all 3 shot moa. 2 were 06 and 1 a 270. Have taken game at 250+ with all three. They were 22" barrel models. I sold the 270 and 1 of the 06s and now have the other 06 up for sale. It's the basketweave style wood. You may want to add a rubber recoil pad if it don't have one. I used a B&C plastic stock with a rubber pad I installed. Never wanted to use that beautiful wood in the field I guess. You will be happy with it.

Banned
    msp2640,

As you've doubtless discovered by now, the carbines in .30-06 are LOUD. - That's why I don't own a carbine in Model 760, as my Uncle R.A's (usually a single shot, per deer) "ought-six" carbine can be heard "all over the deer woods".

just my opinion, tex