Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 9x57

Boolit Mold

Smile 9x57

Does anyone have information regarding casting bullets and loading 9x57? I have a nice Husky in that great old cartridge and just picked up a set of reloading dies.

Thinking of fire forming 8x57 brass and handloading.

OrenT

Boolit Master
    OK... I'm wishin I would come across something that that.

I think there are loads for the 9x57 in Pet Loads.

John in Oregon

Boolit Master
    http://stevespages.com/356_1_280.html

Or just use .358 Win data for starting loads.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Super Moderator

..............Just use 8x57 data to start. Being that silly millimeter larger in OD, that data will be lower in pressure (given similar boolits). You can fiddle around with that data to find what your rifle wants. You ALWAYS have the quintessential loads for full power military size cases and cast:

10.0/12.0grs of Unique
    16.0/18.0grs of 2400

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    You may not need to fire-form. My RCBS die set for the 9.3 x 62 Mauser has an expander ball with elongated form. Lube the inside of the case mouth a bit more than for conventional reloading, then run the 8 x 57 cases up into the 9 x 57 die as usual, with case walls lubed for sizing. The result should be 9 x 57 cases in one pass--at least reloadable "precursor" cases, then fire-form to chamber/shoulder dimensions if the shoulder comes up short.

This method works fine with 35 Whelen cases in the 9.3 x 62 sizer die, the expanding effort is negligible. It is supposed to work with 30-06 cases as well, but I haven't tried that yet. I blow the shoulder forward about 1/10" through fire-forming, using 9mm Makarov bullets with 90% loads of 4895/3031-speed powder to do this. The results on jackrabbits and ground squirrels of 90-100 grain pistol JHP's on rats at 2700-2800 FPS must be seen to be appreciated. It is often recommended to set a "false shoulder" with a slightly larger expander, then form the neck and load ammo. I might try that next time, but the previous loads shot well enough to disassemble small varmints to 125 yards with iron sights.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.