RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here is a fan of Skeeter Skelton and his writings?

Who here is a fan of Skeeter Skelton and his writings?

I ask for a reason.

I've been reading and re-reading all of articles and books and wanted to know his fan base.

Tom in Va.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Buddy

Skeeter, Keith, and Jordan are all good in my book.
    Noli Me Tangere

I prefer Kieth. His books are outstanding.

Skeeter is more of a story teller in his articles (stories of chasing bad guys on horseback, not my thing), whereas Keith is more about the facts and data IMO.

As far as hunting writers go...Capstack is the best I've come across.

Boolit Master

alleyoop
    I will second that. I miss reading those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I prefer Kieth. His books are outstanding.

Skeeter is more of a story teller in his articles (stories of chasing bad guys on horseback, not my thing), whereas Keith is more about the facts and data IMO.

As far as hunting writers go...Capstack is the best I've come across.
    The reason you don't prefer Skeeter is the reason I like his writings.
    To each his own, plus I know his son and respect and admire him and his writing.
    The LE angle is what I can relate too, generally.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Grand Master

Skelton Kieth Jordan Ed Mcgivern Oconnor all were good at getting information accross and used the written mediums very well. You knew when the wrote they had done it and been there. Some of the new writers I really wonder about the reason for them writing

Perma-Banned

Skeeter was the kind of man that drew a line in the sand of humanity, if you don't like him, I am probably not going to like you.

Boolit Master

I forget what Gun Mag Skeeter wrote for but I always looked forward to each issue and went to his column first. I have his book Good Guns, Good Friends, and Good Whiskey, and have read it several times. Got some hospital time coming up this month and may have to read it again. A few good laughs might come in handy for my outlook.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Skelton was a good writer and story teller being an English major at Texas Tech. I enjoyed his writing very much.

Keith provided lots of good information, but offered up much opinion passed off at facts. He had an ego as big as the country in which he lived.

My all time favorite was Townsend Whelen. He was the man who defined the American sporting rifle after WWI. In the period between the world wars, the was the authority on the subject. He also was an excellent writer and lived and wrote about good times in this country for men with rifles. He was in the twilight of his career after WWII and there are darn few left who read Whelen when he was in his prime.

My least favorite writer of the post-war years was Charles Askins, but that is another topic.

Gun writers today have become the advertisers whores, which was not the case "back in the day".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Writers like Skeeter made gun mags interesting. I don't read the current crop of magazines as they are just ads. The writers never find a bad gun only a good advertiser. I think this is why sites like this are so great.

Boolit Mold
    stories of jug johnson, shipp ranch, and ruger 357 blackhawks converted to 44 special. how can a shooter not appreciate his writings

Boolit Grand Master

I always enjoyed Skeeter's writings whether technical (he did a lot of those too) or story telling or a combination of both. I got a chance to meet and talk with Skeeter and numerous other big named writers at the NRA convention in Portland, Oregon back around '68 - '70. Was at a no-host bar for press ( I was credentialed as a photographer). All were deaf so the more rounds bought the louder the converstion got! What amarvelous time for me! ! Best conversation was the hoohrahing Keith took about his long range outhouse shooting. ......that was back when men were men and women were glad of it. ......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Skeeter, was a good writer, I always enjoyed his columns. I have some of his loads in .357 mag., but after several moves can't find the articles anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post

Couldn't have said it better! Bill Jordan was the only one I was fortunate enough to meet, but all three are great writers and sportsmen in my book!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

I always liked Skeeter's articles. They were kind of down to earth and reasonable. Skeeter had a turn about him of taking what he had and making the best out of it instead of throwing a bunch of money at something like many gun writers today do. I liked his characters; Jug Johnson and Dobe Grant too./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Perma-Banned
    elmer keith was an overcompensating egotistical blowhard who knew about 1/2 as much as he thought he did. o'connor was knowledgeable but too hung-up on one cartridge/gun. skeeter was the all-time & all around best gunwriter to ever hit the printed page!

honorable mention goes out to bill jordan & mike venturino.

my opinions & yer welcome to'em.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I would change the order to Keith, Skeeter and Jordan though. O'Connor was great but one of my all time favorites was John Pondoro Taylor's African Rifles And Cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Count me in on skeeters band wagon. My first handgun was a 357 and I am sure he is to blame because every thing else I do I always think bigger is better.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Love Life
    I enjoy the writings of Skeeter and Kieth. Not so much Skeeter's son...

The only gun writer from my era that I enjoy is Mike Venturino. You actually get useful tips out of his articles, and I absolutely love it when he writes non gun articles detailing life in his area.

My favorite write though, is Townsend Whelen. You read his writings and you get the feeling that he would tell all the gunwriters of today to quit being a bunch of sissies.

If you've never read "On Your Own in the Wilderness" I highly suggest you do.

Boolit Master

Skeeter was my all time favorite gun writer. I could and did read other that have been mentioned here but Skeeter will always be my favorite. Growing up in Texas I guess gave me a connection to his writing that I related to. I often do Internet searches looking for articals by him in hopes I will find new ones that someone has scanned from old Shooting Times magazine.

wcp