MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm mag surprise

Boolit Master

7mm mag surprise

My personal magnum gun is a savage 7mm remmag that I de-savaged. I never shot any cast in it
    and yesterday the surgon cleared me to lift 20 lbs so now I can shoot again and I decided to try some cast in it. I loaded a few with trail boss to start. Here is the first load and thru the scope I kept seeing one hole almost. Only loaded 3 with that load and I had 3 others loaded with rcbs 168 and 10 gr trail boss so I shot them thinking they would shoot somewhere else but they were right near the 135's groub so I stopped at 2 shots of that load. I never would have dreamed the maiden load would look this good but I'll take it.
    nekshot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	81026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	81027
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Looks like a keeper (135gr.)
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I kept playing with these boolits and the rcbs168 is simply to small I must beagle the mold. So I started upping the lee soupcan boolit and it kept on doing 5/8 inch 3 shot groubs to approx 1500fps. I then took 38.gr H4895 with the soupcan boolit and got a 1 inch groub. So I am thinking deer hunting if this keeps up and I shot one in my paper test devise. The paper books are half dried out but some moisture to the touch. I figured this would be a torture test if this little ww135 gr boolit could hold together. It went in 13 inches, swelled to about a 35 cal and weighed 100 gr when I weighed it. I imagine this was about 1800fps. I am impressed enough to consider using it for deer season. This is the fastest I found a good cast load in any gun. The case sure has room to spare!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I recall shooting my Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag w/cast bullets...using the RCBS 168 grain and 18.5 grains of Unique...I found I had to load the bullets "long" so they just touched the leade, to get the best accuracy. Once I did that I was busting a 4" wide steel plate at 250 yards regularly. I then tried the Lee 90360 (130R-GC) with 13.0 grains of Red dot then 15.0 grains of Unique...I was delighted with the results.

Boolit Master

When I am in the safe tomorrow I will look at my loads 135 Soupcan and Bullseye. Accurate, but velocity unknown.
    Typically 10 shots in an inch to inch and a half at 50 yards.

These are out of my Husky 5500 lightweight.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

excess650

If you could share a copy of the article I would appreciate it.

I plan to use it in Husky "Lightweight" model.

I have had this gun 15-20 years and just started shooting it in the last 3-4 years.

As a lightweight 7 mm Mag I have no interest in full power bullet loads unless they are light enough to make into a 7-08.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Welcome back to shooting shape and your shape looks good from here!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    For a guy with quite a few options in 7mm Rem mag, you've absolutely made my day with your success!

And yes, +1 on a welcome back to shooting, albeit light shooting!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Last nite I beagled the 168 mold and this morning made about 100 168 boolits. I really want this 168 boolit to work because I prefer a heavier boolit for deer but Paco declares the 140 is ideal for up to large mulies. He has more expierence than me so I guess the 140 would do fine. Anyhow the boolits gained enough diameter to be snug in neck so I am happy with that. I shot the original 168's and out of 2400, reddot, 4227 and h4895 the latter 2 shoot tighter. None of the groubs are more than 11/2 inch and the better powders are doing 3 in 1 inch at 8o yards. I did not shoot this gun other than original sighting in, I figured I did not need a magnum at present time and when I would need one it is there. I scoffed at the thought of cast in it. We use cast in ths 7-08's and the 7 mauser. What a pleasant surprise this is to me! After I got hooked on trail boss I figured if I ran into a cash strapped bloke with a huge belted beast for cents on the dollar I would give it a go with slow boolits. I am very happy with this performance and if I can get the right boolit mix I am using it on deer. Hard water dropped ww vaporize in the torture test. More work to be done!
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I am done, finished, no need to go fruther! Rcbs168, bens red, 24 gr. 4227, win primer lr,1800 +-fps, 5/8 inch groubs with odd flyer opening groub to 1 1/4 inch at 80 yards. Boolit shot in book torture box from 80 yards it mushroomed real nice to 50 cal diameter and weighed 140 gr. I am ready. Never dreamed I would end up with 4227 but thats cast for you. If any negatives on 4227 in cold or anything in general I am all ears.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I’m getting geared up for cast in the 7mm Rem mag. Going to start with the Lee mold. Anyone got any more favorite loads to add?

When the kid was little I'd load 12 gr Green Dot and the RCBS bore rider for her to shoot silhouette with in the 7mm rem mag. It didn't take long before she started beating all us old guys.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice to hear about the green dot. I just came into a full pound last week.

Quote Originally Posted by ipopum View Post
    Nice to hear about the green dot. I just came into a full pound last week.
    Good stuff. It works well in most rifle cartridges as long as you don't lean on it too hard. Pressures can build very fast if you go too far. It was awesome in my 243 win, easy sub MOA with the RCBS 95gr.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!!!

Interesting how accurate our cast bullet loads can be. And over a wide range of velocities.

You got great results in a cartridge that presents some challenges for cast. Good work.

I'll have to try cast in 7RM. I like the round but have been neglecting it since I've been casting.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Lyman 3rd lists a starting load of 17 gr of Red Dot with a 135g boolit for 1900 fps. Sounded a little fast to me so I dropped to 16g and loaded a few. Might still be a little fast, but maybe the PC will help me out…

Boolit Master

16g of Promo was okay, probably around 2-2.5”. Dropped to 15.5g and things really tightened up. This one is going in the book!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2F814CEC-2080-4521-84E1-B3F3C1F73EA8.jpeg  

Boolit Mold
    I'm pondering cast in the 7mm Rem Mag as well. With the shortage in powders I was hoping to search on here, but didn't find squat. I found this thread by going page by page. Love to hear more options. Anybody tried Titegroup? Also have some Accurate 4064 and Accurate 2200 on hand.

I recently passed on a Lyman 7mm spitzer I had never seen before on FleaBay, and it was around 170 gr with GC. Looked nice, but I was cheap and didn't go.

I had a similar experience with full case of Trailboss and LEE 309 200 hrs RN in my Rem 700 MTN in 300 WBY. About 1,700 fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast