Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout AAc 150 grain lead cast bullet load, Anyone gottem to cycle in a AR

Boolit Buddy

Arrow 300 Blackout AAc 150 grain lead cast bullet load, Anyone gottem to cycle in a AR

Guys I have a Ar 15 300 AAC rifle with a 16" barrel, full length gas tube. I have been pouring cast bullets, but have not tried the 150 grain lead cast as of yet. My mold is the Lee 2 cavity 309-150. Have any of you had luck with a good load that will cycle well with this mold size? I have plenty of "Lil Gun" powder, and have great success cycling with a 150 grain fmj bullet using 15.5 gr. Do you think the load will come close to the same as the fmj bullet I've been loading? I know I'm venturing into different territory here with a lead cast bullet, and also I am Epoxy coating these bullets, and going to be trying them out without a gas check.
    Thanks You Guys
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Also these are super sonic loads. No sub-sonic
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Master
    H 110 is your friend when it comes to reliable cycling in an AR.

Boolit Buddy
    I got some of that Jailer looks like I finally get to use it. do you have a recipe on this load for the cast bullet?
    Thank You Sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    H 110 is your friend when it comes to reliable cycling in an AR.

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    Capt,

I don't see any reason 150 grain lead wouldn't cycle/function your weapon. My biggest concern would be the length/size/shape of the nose. M4 type ramps could catch fatter/rounder noses and then there is the angle problems that I some tell of. The alignment bulge of the follower and or side ridge of some magazines supposedly push the feed angel off. I have never encountered this problem.

As for powder, I have used H110/296 with 147 grain GI pulls (and some 150 grain CoreBonds) as well as 'LitGun'. Of the two, I favor 'LtGun'.

I don't like to give untested charge weights, so no lead data will be forth coming from me.

Standard disclaimer here. I never trust some unknown loading data that is on the internet. Why should you? Always defer to known and trusted published data. That said... I will state that for 147 grain FMJBT GI pulls, H110/296 at 16.6 grains, I get 1945 FPS and same bullet with 'LtGun' at 15.0 grains, I get 1870 FPS. Both of these loads are with a carbine length gas system and carbine buffer, 16 inch barrel. With lead, I would want to run a little slower velocities, yet have full function. I think (my opinion only) that 'LtGun' would lighten up better than H110/296, maybe not.

This could be an interesting project to work on.

Load with care,

OSOK

Boolit Master

My goto powder is Reloder 7 for boolits from 155gn to 247gn. Lil Gun did not work as well.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Ok , we'll I appreciate you guys most definitely . Ill keep ya posted on what I come up with.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    15gr H110 is what works well for me.

Boolit Master

I use 15.3gr h110/w296 with the lee 155 312 boolit. Gives me about 1850fps in out 16" uppers.

Boolit Buddy
    Appreciate the info guys .. One more thing . I'm using an epoxy coat , should I resize before the coating or after I apply the coat ? What are you resizing down to ? Thanks guys .

I assume you mean "full length gas tube" as a carbine length as is normal for m4/AR's. There are 2 lengths past that, mid-length and "full" length rifle gas tubes. Either way, 15.5grs lil gun should get you 1850fps+ in a 16" barrel. Theyll cycle fine assuming the rifle is up to spec. I run the 312-155(160grs+) over 15.7grs lil gun, cycles fine by the hundreds. MY experience is lil gun gives higher velocity with lower pressures on the heavy bullets/boolits(150gr+). h110 is the go to for jacketed 110 and 125gr bullets, h110 works best at almost max case capacity.

Boolit Buddy
    yes sir Jupiter, sorry about that. Hey I appreciate this info man. Should I resize after I epoxy coat to .310?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I assume you mean "full length gas tube" as a carbine length as is normal for m4/AR's. There are 2 lengths past that, mid-length and "full" length rifle gas tubes. Either way, 15.5grs lil gun should get you 1850fps+ in a 16" barrel. Theyll cycle fine assuming the rifle is up to spec. I run the 312-155(160grs+) over 15.7grs lil gun, cycles fine by the hundreds. MY experience is lil gun gives higher velocity with lower pressures on the heavy bullets/boolits(150gr+). h110 is the go to for jacketed 110 and 125gr bullets, h110 works best at almost max case capacity.

I'd say that depends on what the mold drops and how much epoxy coat adds. I did a few hundred powder coat(piglet method), it was okay. If you mold is dropping near(.01-.02) what you're sizing to, I'd just coat as cast and size/GC one time. .310 seems to work for supers in most rifles. After swapping from tumble lube to Lyman 450, I went from .309 to
    .310, seems to have calmed down the flyers and leaves bore cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.hollis View Post
    yes sir Jupiter, sorry about that. Hey I appreciate this info man. Should I resize after I epoxy coat to .310?
    I just pulled my log book of chrono data and was actually interesting what I found. Data with the lee 312-155(160grs) tumble lubed straight LLA, sized .309, alum. gas check from 10" AR pistol.

14grs lil gun 1783 fps avg 61 ES
    14.5grs lil gun 1788 fps avg 50 ES
    15grs lil gun 1790fps avg 38 ES

For comparison

Hornady 150gr SST seated to bottom of cannelure
    16grs lil gun
    10" AR pistol
    1814fps avg
    ES 40

Looks like 15.5grs lil gun in 16" barrel may get you close to 2k fps.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone worked any 'LilGun' loads of this charge weight in "QuickLoad" or "Load from a Disk" to see what sort of PSI these are producing?

The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about trying Lil Gun in AK/SKS: 311-155 with hopefully the same velocity at an acceptable (ie: safe) chamber/port pressure.

I'm wondering how much faster 15 grains of LilGun is than the same amount of Alliant 2400 (the load from Ed Harris' article on AK's / SKS) and how it stacks up against AA-1680 and Rel-7.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting Jupiter.. Ill be loading up some tmrw night, and then be shooting Friday . Ill keep you posted on the load. I really appreciate the info, and the verification sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I just pulled my log book of chrono data and was actually interesting what I found. Data with the lee 312-155(160grs) tumble lubed straight LLA, sized .309, alum. gas check from 10" AR pistol.

14grs lil gun 1783 fps avg 61 ES
    14.5grs lil gun 1788 fps avg 50 ES
    15grs lil gun 1790fps avg 38 ES

For comparison

Hornady 150gr SST seated to bottom of cannelure
    16grs lil gun
    10" AR pistol
    1814fps avg
    ES 40

Looks like 15.5grs lil gun in 16" barrel may get you close to 2k fps.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry for jumping in late.

I usec18.8g og AA1680 with the Lee 2R 155's sized to .309, cycles, 1 inch groups at 100yds, this is where I stopped with the black hole I mean black out.

Boolit Master
    My ar load is 16gn of lil gun with lees 155-312 bullet(sized 309)-aluminum gaschecks. Super accurate in my 300blk ar

Boolit Buddy
    I am getting the same size groups with this boolit powder coated and a 17.0 grain charge of AA1680

Quote Originally Posted by jcunruh View Post
    Sorry for jumping in late.

I usec18.8g og AA1680 with the Lee 2R 155's sized to .309, cycles, 1 inch groups at 100yds, this is where I stopped with the black hole I mean black out.

Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    I am getting the same size groups with this boolit powder coated and a 17.0 grain charge of AA1680
    What OAL length are you guys loading the Lee 312-155-2R to? I'm starting to work this up with W296 and #41 primers. Water dropped wheel weight alloy and copper gas check sized to .309. Gun is AR15 16" parkerized heavy barrel, 1:8 twist, carbine gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast