RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .224 65gr SP Pointed Tip Mould Group Buy!

Boolit Bub

.224 65gr SP Pointed Tip Mould Group Buy!

Attached is a mold design from NOE Molds, for a 5 cavity SP Pointed Tip .224 65gr boolit. With Hi-tek lube should shoot perfectly! need 15 buyers to get the price. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	224 mold design.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	80696 Add your name and email if you want a set. When I get 15 names I will submit to NOE and get a price. Will figure out the Paypal/whatever payment methods we need from there. I can pay for all and take people's orders if need be. Let me know!!
    SSG Tenney 11B3P "Only the dead have seen the end of war" ~George Santayana~

Boolit Bub
    $99 for a 5 cavity mold.

Since you posted this in the mold maintenance and DESIGN section and not in the GB discussion section, I'll offer my $.02 worth.
    1. Not everybody is in love with the latest, "new & improved" method of bullet lubrication, since I haven't seen any posted proof ie; groups that the various PC methods offer any improvement in accuracy, velocity maybe, but not accuracy. And to get the required 15 for a GB you should consider designing it with conventional lube groves.
    2. I think there have been two true SP molds, the NOE 311365 and the NOE 338365. If you will do a search on both, I think you will find that there aren't any great praises on either bullet as far as accuracy goes. That goes to designs like the 311299 and 31141/311041
    Now, for the 25 ft. to 25 Yd. "zombie killers" bright colored bullets might be "kool"
    just my $.02

Wayne
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Bub
    I don't know about the "kool" effect, nor do I care. I know that with the new hi-tek lubricant, you no longer need to buy, or seat gas checks on rifle rounds. As far as long range effectiveness, I have not shot my .308 past 500 yards with the hi-tek coated boolits, but I have shot it out to 300yrds. There may not be an increase in accuracy, but there surely is no degredation of it either. I am going to the range today and will get some data for you. Positive I will be shooting under MOA at 100yrds with the new lube. No if I am turning 2 steps, (lubing and seating gas checks) into one step of lubing, and not having to buy the gaschecks, I think that is a pretty good trade off. As far as stability of this specific design at higher velocities, I can't tell you until I shoot it! I know the store bought projectiles of this shape are doing ok at 2800fps+ I'm hoping to be able to keep this design in the 1800-2200fps range and find a good sweet spot.

Boolit Bub

.224 SP Pointed 5 cavity Mould. $99

Attached is a mold design from NOE Molds, for a 5 cavity SP Pointed Tip .224 65gr boolit. With Hi-tek lube should shoot perfectly! Add your name and email if you want a set. When I get 15 names I will submit to NOE. $99 for the Mould!
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	85 
ID:	80724

Boolit Master

I was thinking that such a boolit would be great with Hi-trek, some of the epoxy coatings, or powder coating. I will have to give this some serious consideration.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Since this is in the mold design section, I will point out that this design has a bearing length of less than 41% of its length....... otherwise known as nose heavy. Several Lyman designs like this are not known for accuracy above the 1600ish fps area.

Made in U.S.A.
    Bob

The design is wide open
    Just a first draft for DrewTenney to see what the interest is
    Your comments are noted

May want to get this thread moved to the group buy section

Swede Nelson
    Last edited by SwedeNelson; 09-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Bub
    I put this thread on here so people would see it, and comment on any design recommendations, such as what 45 2.1 said. I also posted this in the Group Buy Section.

Boolit Master
    I am sitting on the fence for the new HT coating. Accuracy has been my sticking point. But havent most testers used GC on there rifle bullets? Kevin

Moderator Emeritus
    Merged and moved.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    Will the original poster be honchoing this or will you be running it Al?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I would put a small radius or flat on the nose of the boolit. A sharp point will deform easily when dropped and may cause the coating to chip easily at the tip. It will help to remove some weight from the nose also.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry for late response, just moved to FL, DKF, you think a flat nose would be better than a pointed? I really just want a reliable mould for my .223, 5+ cavity... shooting 300yrds or less. I know my Flat nose .45acp boolits turn out really well... if anyone has advice on a different 223 mould I'm totally open to suggestions.

I just think having a sharp point will be problematic. It will get damaged very easily and may be hard to fill out completely. A small radius on the nose or small flat would help prevent that. With the powder coating I have done I noticed that sharp points chip the powder off first.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrewTenney View Post
    Attached is a mold design from NOE Molds, for a 5 cavity SP Pointed Tip .224 65gr boolit. With Hi-tek lube should shoot perfectly! need 15 buyers to get the price. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	223 
ID:	80696 Add your name and email if you want a set. When I get 15 names I will submit to NOE and get a price. Will figure out the Paypal/whatever payment methods we need from there. I can pay for all and take people's orders if need be. Let me know!!

DrewTenney:

I have been following this thread with interest since you started, and there seems to be limited response so far to this concept. I have an idea for a "Test Bed" on validating the potential for this mold to work when using a Powder Coat or Epoxy coating as you advocate.

I Swage .224 bullets using a Corbin die and 22LR cases for jackets. Along the way a couple of years ago I used my Corbin dies to swage some .224 lead boolits (no Jacket), and lubed them with Lee Liquid Alox. The boolits formed were similar in weight to your mold design. I abandoned the project because of the terrible accuracy I experienced, and other projects that offered better return on my time investment were more interesting pursuits. What has changed to spark my interest? Simply put, there is now tremendous, and surprising interest here in the Cast Boolit forum in the area of Powder/Epoxy coating bullets. Several posters have advocated good accuracy with these coatings (although I have not seen groups posted from many who are claiming good results). I believe Powder/Epoxy coating might turn around the poor accuracy I was getting from Swaged .224 all lead boolits in my past testing, and validate a mold for the same purpose.

My Proposal:

Mustang
    • I will swage 100 rounds of .224 boolits weighing approximately 65grains. Nose will be 6S Ogive.
    • I will swage 100 rounds of .224 boolits, with a gas check, weighing approximately 65 Grains. Nose will be 6S Ogive.

DrewTenney (or other interested member):

• Will Powder Coat and/or Epoxy Coat the swaged boolits provided by Mustang
    • Will shoot 10 round groups and post results of the boolits to this thread.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

This will create a Test Bed to validate that a Powder/Epoxy coated boolit similar to your design will shoot an acceptable group. From this effort, I believe we should be able to generate additional interest. Additionally, it will validate design (ID any design flaws?) before investment in building consensus on producing a mold that some believe may not work well.

Respond on this thread if you think this is a good idea. If needed, at a later date I can step up/reduce the weight for further refinement tests.

If others might want to step up and do the proposed test, drop me a PM so we can coordinate.

Mustang
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 10-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I'll shoot them to help out. I have a 24in bull barrelled AR and a bolt gun we can see if they will hold up to feeding in the AR platform too. I currently have the most recent jt mold in 223. think it is 55gr I know it is Gas checked. I'll add it in to the testing too. I have never powder coated or epoxy coated so I'll pour some and send them to who ever is going to powder them up for us and we can add some to it.

I know I'm new here but I usually have a lot of off time for work. I work on call 27 days a month and don't have to go in unless they call me. It leaves plenty of range time and I really enjoy shooting and loading.

Boolit Master

Bigdaddyq:

So far no takers. Seems both you and I are un-knowledgable, inexperienced, and untooled in the Powder Coat/Epoxy coat arena. That is why I offered to provide swage bullets for someone to powder coat as a Trial on this particular design (approximated by swaging lead as a test).

Offer still applies, but I'll be away from my Swaging/Casting location until 1st of November starting mid-week. If there are any takers, I'll swage and get test bullits/boolits out early November.

Mustang

Boolit Mold

I'll powder with advice and opions as what powder to use for the coating

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Bigdaddyq:

So far no takers. Seems both you and I are un-knowledgable, inexperienced, and untooled in the Powder Coat/Epoxy coat arena. That is why I offered to provide swage bullets for someone to powder coat as a Trial on this particular design (approximated by swaging lead as a test).

Offer still applies, but I'll be away from my Swaging/Casting location until 1st of November starting mid-week. If there are any takers, I'll swage and get test bullits/boolits out early November.

Mustang
    I have access to powder coating equipment. I need advise as to what powder coating to use, but would do the powder coating.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stuken3 View Post
    I have access to powder coating equipment. I need advise as to what powder coating to use, but would do the powder coating.

Stuken3.

I have been perusing the Powder/Epoxy Coat threads with interest, but have not entered into the realm personally. My experience in Powder Coating is limited to appreciation for the Tough Finish it provides on reloading presses, other reloading equipment, and other items I have purchased that are powder coated.

Send me a PM with your mailing address if you want to experiment with the powder coating of a Swaged Lead projectile that will be similar to the design that DrewTenny posted. I'll make up a few hundred and send to you for development and see if they have potential. I would want a few to try after you have developed some PC coated rounds. I would envision both of us posting results we achieve.

Mustang.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-08-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast