Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating and Accuracy ??

Powder Coating and Accuracy ??

Seen lots and lots of pictures of various colored bullets, pictures of how to's, ect. What I haven't seen are pictures of groups shot past 50 yds.
    To paraphrase and old saying Only accurate bullets are interesting
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master
    I am tempted to send some bullets to someone who is coating bullets to see what I can do with them.
    Anyone willing to coat some bullets for me? I can size them after coating as I plan to try some for my 375 H&H.

Anyone?

Banned

Two members have recently started shooting them in their .308s, one in a rifle and the other with a belt-fed SA machine gun, the first reports on function, barrel condition, and group size at 100 yards at higher-than-normal cast velocity look very promising.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    That is what I want to investigate. The idea of a 265 gr cast at 2400 plus entices me. I have tried with "old school" lubes to no avail.

I want to see if the coating increases the ability of the bullet to hold the lands at speed. Is it more a coating like a copper plating? I think calling it a lube is wrong, it is more than that.

Boolit Master

I should be receiving my powder coat gun from HF on Tuesday. Would be glad to coat some up for you.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. I would also like to try some with the coating from Bayou bullets for comparison.

This coating thing intrigues me. Not enough to jump in yet but enough to make me want to investigate it further.

Boolit Master

I did purchase some of that VHT epoxy but haven't done anything with it yet. Once I checked out the powder coating I lost interest in the epoxy.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

I think "polymer jacket" would be an appropriate term for epoxy or PC'd boolits. These coatings do the same thing any jacket does, the provide a protective, cushioning, sealing barrier between boolit and barrel. It seems most people are doing the traditional sizing to larger than groove dimension on the driving bands, not sure if PC/epoxy is as robust as a copper jacket that can withstand the blowby and indeed needs to be right at groove diameter for pressure reasons. I'll bet that PC splits the difference in the way it works between copper and paper jackets.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I think "polymer jacket" would be an appropriate term for epoxy or PC'd boolits. These coatings do the same thing any jacket does, the provide a protective, cushioning, sealing barrier between boolit and barrel. It seems most people are doing the traditional sizing to larger than groove dimension on the driving bands, not sure if PC/epoxy is as robust as a copper jacket that can withstand the blowby and indeed needs to be right at groove diameter for pressure reasons. I'll bet that PC splits the difference in the way it works between copper and paper jackets.

Gear
    I was unable to find any info on any of the epoxy paints or The coating from Bayou on rifle boolits. I may be wrong. That's why I decided to put my efforts into powder coating. Have you seen any other info on those?
    Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

I haven't done much studying on it. I think most of these coatings end up doing the same thing, just some probably more precisely than others. I would definitely pursue the PC technique as you have if I were to attempt this for precision rifle boolits.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I haven't done much studying on it. I think most of these coatings end up doing the same thing, just some probably more precisely than others. I would definitely pursue the PC technique as you have if I were to attempt this for precision rifle boolits.

Gear
    Well, based on looks I would agree with you, but another guy shot some groups and had better groups with KK, then he did the electrostatic spray. Not that his groups are definitive by any means.

Boolit Master
    This is my resultsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	80710
    Shot out of a Rem 700 caliber 308
    Lee 170-309 Water dropped, powder coated, lubed with Blue Angel and gas check
    Bullet weighs 175.5 grains dropped
    Nothing special on lead alloy - 50/50 range scrap/Wheel Weights
    I let them age 6 weeks to harden then I resized, lubed and GC. Sized to .311
    Powder - 35 grs. of Win 748
    Primer -Standard CCI large Rifle
    Over all Length - 2.470
    Powder coat -Harbor Freight yellow
    Barrel was clean, group shot mid day 95 degree temperature
    Flyer was without a doubt me.
    Group shot off bench, distance 100 yards.
    Last edited by bayjoe; 09-01-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: error in data

Boolit Master
    The bullets weigh 180 grs. Powder coated with Gas Check and LubeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00458.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	80713

Boolit Master

I ran into a shooter at the range the other day with about 200 of them he was "shooting up".

They were coated with Hi-Tech coating and were very ugly - until he started shooting.

He put about 20 into a 25 yard group you could cover with a quarter.

Pretty is - as pretty does.

(Optical sight - Revolver)

You don't need to worry about accuracy.

He said he bought it from a member of this board but I can't find it in the Vendor's category.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    bayjoe if you are powder coating why are you lubging them as well?

Boolit Master
    I lubed the bullets because the lube was in the press. I have no other reason for lubing them

Boolit Master

Alas, I haven't launched any powder coted boolits from the 03-A3 yet, but will be doing so shortly. I've only been using flat black from HF and am now convinced 'black is beautiful.' I'd really like to get some copper colored powder but draw the line at 16 bucks a pound. If I find a better source I might buy some. For now, black is working just fine.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I was out at Dragon Man's yesterday. It sure was hot!!

Wayne - so far testing in LR-308 carbine (18" 1:10), yes they are as accurate as my normal lube. The alloy has to be up to the task. I'm not talking pansy loads. A 165 fn, GC, PC @ 2240 = 1" @ 50. 39 gr of H335 in mixed Win/Rem brass. Then I tried 41 gr in LC cases. Groups opened up appreciably @ 100, primers still OK but that is STOUT, Full Hodgdon jacketed load in mil case. Oh, no leading, clean bbl. Cast & coated some with higher Sb I want to test this week. I'll also drop back to ~38 gr and test @ 100. Got to turn down the gas and work on handling that much recoil. It's about the same as a full power heavy load in a lever gun. I posted some target results in the other threads.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Lots of words but NO pictures. Wanna see groups ON PAPER with ALL details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast