Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man

Boolit Master

Burning Man

If you ever want to see California in all of its infinite, decadent weirdness, Burning Man out in Nevada's Black Rock Desert north of Reno is the place to see it. I once harbored thought of going but recently looked at the price of tickets (I didn't even know you needed a ticket). Amazing. $380 for the weekend, $190 for a "low income" ticket, and over $600 for the delux ticket. Only Californians or a Californian want-to-be would be crazy enough to pay those prices to camp on a dry lakebed with all those rules. P.S. - apparently it is sold out with over 40,000 tickets sold. I will be looking for Jim in the pictures in his New Zealand hunting suit. If I see him, we may have lost him.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 08-29-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Bub

I had to ask the googles about it: http://www.burningman.com/

Boolit Master

Don't even look like something i'd even be a millionth interested in.

An orgy of drugs, promiscuity, leftist "artists", liberal decadence and stinking, filthy hippies coming together to celebrate all that is horrible about our new society.

Funny thing is the creators/founders of this thing are now butthurt it has become too "commercial", although they are more than happy to enjoy the evil "Capitalist trappings" the event has filled their coffers with......

A truly shameful, hedonistic display of the decline of western civilization.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    Cripes. I'd hope at least, for the price asked, that there would be a lot of "facilitators" drifting around making belitling personal comments and refusing me permission to go to the bathroom until I'd had my "spiritual breakthrough."

Supposedly, a lot of people used to live lives of quiet desperation. Now it looks like a lot of them live lives of utter meaninglessness, personally acknowledged and accepted. The organization that is fleecing these pathetic individuals for nothing in return would, of course, be first in line to denounce someone who offered a real, tangible, useful item for a price as a greedy, exploitative polluter.

An orgy of drugs, promiscuity, leftist "artists", liberal decadence and stinking, filthy hippies coming together to celebrate all that is horrible about our new society.

That sounds like my highschool in the late 60's and early 70's ...... man o' man I miss that free love and no worry about catching sumpthin'deadly. At least penicillin would fix everything. Those were the good years .......
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Lightbulb To paraphrase Obi Wan....

A more wretched hive of scum and villainy won't be found on this planet....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter973 View Post
    A more wretched hive of scum and villainy won't be found on this planet....
    So you've never heard of Washington DC then?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Made my day! Hahaha

Boolit Buddy

You would be surprised at what kind of people go there,i lived in reno several years ago and went with a few friends not knowing what it was and I must say you get all kinds out there,lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I wasn't quick enough. My thoughts exactly!
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Where do they get the money to build all that stuff? Some of that isn't cheap.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Many of the best photographers in the world show up at Burning Man and some of their work is positively amazing despite all the decadence, weirdness, and occasional depravity. I can't help but wonder as well where these people get all the money to do this stuff. Can't be working so must be selling drugs.

Boolit Grand Master

Remember it's the cereal state!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post

Funny thing is the creators/founders of this thing are now butthurt it has become too "commercial", although they are more than happy to enjoy the evil "Capitalist trappings" the event has filled their coffers with......

A truly shameful, hedonistic display of the decline of western civilization.
    Hhmmm . . . Yep, that about describes it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Well said,
    I would be driving through that part of the country on my way home to WY and see some of the "participants" at the truck stops/gas stations boy do they look like the leftovers from a Mad Maxx film shoot.

In Remembrance
    They are not all from Cali, they come in from every state in the union by the droves.

Well it is nice of them to take it out where they don't bother decent folks. It might be fun to have a giant cast boolit fest close by!!!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Oh Boy! A chance for a righteous rant!

Hey.....how do you think I feel? I LIVE up here! From what I've heard, this whole thing started many years ago when a guy jilted by his girl friend built a large wooden replica of her lover and burned it with the help of a few friends. Over the years it has evolved into "the thing" to attend and we reap the result. Oh, the local merchants have a field day, but the people living in these small communities end up with vandalized property and thefts. I have to admit that such activity has slacked off some, but I think that's due to increased law enforcement presence and community awareness.

On the positive side, the local high school kids have discovered that the participants don't like that white alkalai dust all over their vehicles. As a result, there are at least two roadside carwashes manned by kids looking to make some case for the next school year.

I don't know. I've driven through Gerlach and skirted the Black Rock Playa on my way to ghost towns and shooting adventures........and I understand why the early pioneers took their wagons through at night and as fast as possible. The playa is bleached bone white, flat as a billiard table and has wind blown dust that gets into everything. On top of that the temps can reach lethal highs, and yet thousands of people go out there for "fun"?

One interesting story....some years ago a few of the participants decided to close the road that skirts the playa in order to keep "looky lou's" out unless they bought a ticket. That road is a county access and an old cowboy pulling a horse trailer was stopped and told he couldn't go through without permission or paying. His response was to pull the 30-30 out of the window rack and clear a path. The road stayed open after that.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    At least the Rainbow People have left Montana for sunnier climes. When they left here, it cost the county over a quarter million bucks to clean up their mess.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast