Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP options for smelting

Works quite a bit longer than that.
    Actually, no it doesn't, since the propane cans I am talking about are about the size of your average can of WD-40 or hair spray. This is the type of burner you get at Asian markets for doing "hot pot" cooking. The gas comes in plastic packs of 4 cans, for about $4. Each lasts about an hour.

Boolit Master
    On the cheap??? That would be my set-up.

a 12 QT cast iron dutch oven with lid, a stainless steel kitchen ladle, a good garden rake, and a hot wood fire.

I can do 75# of assorted plumbous material in well under an hour(wheelweights, sandy indoor range lead, whatever). Could do much more, but don't have enough ingot moulds.

you get a good fire going, it only takes 15 minutes to melt. I use the rake to lift the pot out of the fire, fill moulds till the alloy freezes, or the ingot moulds get too hot.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking of building up a lead smelter based on this burner system. It's about $30 at Harbor Freight with a coupon.

Comments?

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44895.gif  

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfather View Post
    Actually, no it doesn't, since the propane cans I am talking about are about the size of your average can of WD-40 or hair spray. This is the type of burner you get at Asian markets for doing "hot pot" cooking. The gas comes in plastic packs of 4 cans, for about $4. Each lasts about an hour.
    Huh. Admittedly I use the "fat" propane tanks (vs the skinny "torch" tanks), but they are still only 1lb... and on the burner pictured I get a good 3 hours from a new can.

IIRC the can shown is the generic "American Camper" brand that comes in a shrink-wrapped 4 pack for about $8.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

Well, I guess I'll retire the aluminium pot then. Too bad, as it did a good job with that light burner.

Do aluminnium pots just come apart on the burner, or when you try to pick up a full one?

I never pick up a pot that has more than about 5lb melt in it, preferring to use a ladle to fill my ingots.
    1.618034 Fnord

In Remembrance
    Old Ironsights,
    I also use a heavy aluminum saucepan for small batches.
    Mine is just the right size to mix up 20 pounds of lead/tin alloy...and the interior is easy to keep clean.
    The handle is not beefy enough to pick up twenty pounds, so I also use a pair of pliers to grip the other side of the pan.

I have four Lyman ingots moulds, and pour them completely full. That allows me to empty twenty pounds from the pan in a single pour.
    My 'good stuff' ingots are solid five pound blocks with a 'segmented' shape.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

What size dutch oven works best with a turkey fryer? 10" diameter by 6 " deep? That sounds pretty close, but I'd appreciate dimensions from someone who knows. I've already got a turkey fryer and 20# lp tank, and using an old Lee bottom pour melter is both aggravating and slow.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master

If you check around at airconditioning servicing places (Residential or Automotive) they may have emtpy refrigerant tanks for free that you can cut the top off of and make yourself a fine smelting pot for a little elbow grease. Maybe even two or three of them if you like. Cut them about 1/2" above the center weld seam.

The diameter of the pan has to fit on your burning apparatus. Depth is dependent on the amount of WW you're going to put in it. Figure the lead at 24# a quart. You want enough room in it to stir in your flux and to use whatever dipper you have. I personally wouldn't even think about lifting a pan full of lead off the cooker to pour. Really, the size is up to you; the more lead WW you put in there, the longer it takes to melt. Just use what you're comfortable with.

Boolit Master

No kidding. I tried a couple of scrounged cast iron skillets and they were flat too flat.

Little burner would only spot-heat them.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Buddy

Low cost, High BTU approach?

Has anyone tried to use a small counter flow, cut down "gun type" hot air, fuel oil furnace, such as ones used in some camper trailers or mobile homes as a heat source? I think they run in the 60,000 to 75,000 BTU range. I saw one years ago cut down just above the top of the combustion chamber with fire brick aroound the top , that was used as a "forge" which could be easily transported. It seemed to "make a lot of heat" in a hurry. Used ones can be purchased (if you can find them) at low cost.

Has anyone used a REALLY heavy (yard sale) stainless steel "sauce pan" (one with a heavy stainless steel handle) or larger "cooking pot" as a lead melting pot? I have seen a few that appear to be some kind of "commercial" kitchen item, with lids. Also saw a few "very heavy" stainless steel mixing bowls that might be suitable. Cost is low but finding them is time consuming.

Cast iron muffin pans and cast iron "corn cob muffin pans" and individual stainless steel poached egg inserts make good expedient ingot molds, (use "vise grip" handles).

Just some ideas, safeshot
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Buddy
    I was just talking to a friend of mine on the phone about this subject. He reminded me of a Cowboy Action Shooting Club that did a rather large "melt" using a "turkey fryer" with a steel melting pot and a sheet metal "wind screen" around it with two holes in the wind screen for additional heat using two "weed burners". With the three heat sources there was a "nice" combined BTU available for a "quick melt". They did range lead, pipe, WW, flashing, other scrap lead and tin. They used a long handle shovel to "fill the pot" and a long handle ladle to pour the melt. It was "good alloy".
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

About the cheapest decent setup I've come across is the HF dutch oven with a burner from a Turkey fryer.

Dicks has a Masterbuilt for $40, and the HF 6 quart Dutch oven is $18

HTRN
    There's nothing scarier than a Machinist with a warped imagination!

Boolit Master
    That's a deal. I wish there was a Dick's close to my location.

John

For smelting I bought a 5qt camp pot from a tool show
    and a high pressure burner and regulator from Agri-supply
    pot was on sale for 7.99 and burner cost me about $30.00.
    I throw the stuff into the pot and put the cover on, this also keeps the tinsel fairy away.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,963.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Good price on that dutch oven Corvette. I like a little bit larger unit though. Yours has a 10" diameter which should be more than adequate, but if you like something a little larger (12" diameter), Sam's Club has a Wentzel cooking set in a bitchin' wood box that also includes a large fry pan and a cast iron griddle as well for around $27. For a heater, I got that 100,000 BTU unit from Mile High Distillers in Colorado or $62 and it included the hose and regulator in that price.
    Boy does that unit melt a bunch of lead in a hurry!

Boolit Master

Thanks Corvette. Just bought two of 'em. Best price I've seen.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

In Remebrance

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=20408

Thats a link to the "pot" I use. Stainless steel. Fits the burner, 1200 watt Walmart special, to a "T" and works great for me. Where to find another one is the trick.

Much less dross than with cast iron or steel too.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 2 qt. heavy stainless saucepan that I got for $1 at a moving sale. I'm, admittedly, a small timer, using a wal-mart hot plate with this pan, and muffin pans for ingot molds, I get 4-5 "muffins from each pan, leaving a couple of inches in the bottom of the pan. They weigh just shy of 2 lbs each. This works well for my needs. Oh, and I have fashoined a wind shield from some old aluminum furnace pipe.
    parson

I also use a stainless steel Revere 2 1/2 quart sauce pan to melt led over a small propane stove (Coleman knock off). I have a taiwan made cast iron pot I started with, but where the handle meets the pot seems awfully thin. I could only imagine moving the pot to the ingot moulds and the handle snapping and that pot of molten lead dropping. I trust the steel/bakelite handle on the Revere pot to not break.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."