RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: powder coating with gun? is it the best way?

Boolit Buddy

powder coating with gun? is it the best way?

I have no luck shaking these bullets in a cup/jar? I've tried it all, and these things come out looking like a mess. So far from what I've tested the powder coat is the toughest I believe. This stuff is like armor, but I have to master this, and I hate being whipped, lol.
    Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help, because I need plenty of it.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I bought the HF gun and got great results the first time I used it.

Fired my first ones today and have no complaints.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Echd... What is your mixture with the gun ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    I bought the HF gun and got great results the first time I used it.

Fired my first ones today and have no complaints.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

The ES gun uses dry powder. Get the air pressure as low as you can.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.hollis View Post
    Thank you Echd... What is your mixture with the gun ?
    I used HF brand red powder applied at about 12 PSI.

It's so easy and hassle free I can't imagine bothering with piglet and spray methods, especially since most are getting far superior results with powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The HF or Eastwood guns are the only way to go. That shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop coating does NOT work. I have tired it every possible way and it leaves very lumpy, uneven, splotchy coats. And requires multiple coats and bakes.

Put only about an inch of powder in your gun jar! Keep the air pressure about 8-15#, put the small nose on the gun, and adjust the air flow knob on the gun for even gentle flow. The powder should flow out in an even stream, not in globs or lumps. There is very little waste. And at $5.50/# at HF, you cannot go wrong.

I use the gun with 110% success. All slugs are perfectly coated with just ONE coating/baking session. The coat is smooth and even. You can pound the slug flat from nose to base and the coating does not flake or crack off. If the lead splits (which it will do) the coating will separate.

The HF black is the best I have found. The yellow does not cover well over lead and you can see dark areas. Red works well but the finished carts look like lipstick! You can buy VERY expensive powders thru the mail, but after all, this is for ease of shooting, not a beauty pageant.

bangerjim

War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    The HF or Eastwood guns are the only way to go. That shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop coating does NOT work. I have tired it every possible way and it leaves very lumpy, uneven, splotchy coats. And requires multiple coats and bakes.

Put only about an inch of powder in your gun jar! Keep the air pressure about 8-15#, put the small nose on the gun, and adjust the air flow knob on the gun for even gentle flow. The powder should flow out in an even stream, not in globs or lumps. There is very little waste. And at $5.50/# at HF, you cannot go wrong.

I use the gun with 110% success. All slugs are perfectly coated with just ONE coating/baking session. The coat is smooth and even. You can pound the slug flat from nose to base and the coating does not flake or crack off. If the lead splits (which it will do) the coating will separate.

The HF black is the best I have found. The yellow does not cover well over lead and you can see dark areas. Red works well but the finished carts look like lipstick! You can buy VERY expensive powders thru the mail, but after all, this is for ease of shooting, not a beauty pageant.

bangerjim
    In another thread, I tried to see how interested people would be in other powder coat besides powder buy the pound, but my idea got shot down. I guess being able to pay with a credit card from the conveinience of their home trumps any money I might be able to save them (shrugs shoulders). At the urging if another member here I finally got PayPal, and I thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. The first transaction went through to my surprise PayPal put a 21 day hold on it. Arghhh....

Boolit Master
    "powder coating with gun? is it the best way?"

YES!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You fellas !! I'll be ordering a gun soon . I have plenty of powder now, just no gun yet lol. Can't wait to get this going . I have a harbor freight about 30 miles from me so I may be making a b-line to it by this weekend. No more shake n bake for me , whatta mess.!

Boolit Master
    Have fun! We are here if you need us.