WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best hunting knife

Boolit Grand Master
    So many beautiful examples! Wow. Just to add to my #8 post, there are some Cold Steel belt knives (Pendelton Hunter, Canadian Belt, and a couple others) on sale at either Mid-South or Midway or Natchez, etc for $12 to $14 dollars. Plastic handled, fabric sheathed things that are a super value. Very good utility knives. Now, I have a couple really nice knives - IRBI's from Alaska, handmades from Turkey, custom knife show beauties, and they don't see much rough work. For hunting, I grab my Cold Steel Canadian Belt knife and it does every little chore and skinning I require.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Well,my favorite HUNTING knife (my wife won't let me kill any little animals any more!)is my Randall Model #5!
    RANDALL ALL THE WAY NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

Just be ready to part with an appendage but well worth it!!!

Love Life
    You still got that big Randall bowie, Kanitz?

Boolit Mold
    Yah but civilians don't like it when I carry it.

Schrade Sharpfinger is an economical well designed skinning knife. That and a hatchet will always get the job done.

Surprised to have seen only one Puma, and it was a "Grandads hand-me-down," I'd be proud to own that one, shows some honest wear... (I have one like it but without the "character")....whereas they may not be the "best" out there, they are better than a Buck or Schrade (of which I have a couple)...believe they (Puma) are around 58 RC and will hold an edge very well....but what I carry when hunting is a double blade Case folder from the 60's, and a Gerber "kit" in my saddlebags...them Gerber knives is sharp...

Boolit Buddy
    I've used this one for the last 20+ years. It was one of the first ATS34 blades that I had an opportunity to buy. It does the whole gutting/skinning job well (especially on Elk) and I can re-sharpen it at my leisure. The rawhide shoelace is to make sure it doesn't come out of the sheath while it's in my pack.

Boolit Master
    I use my Buck 110. I also have the 119, but that one just stays home. I really like my folding Gerber Gator with the guthook. The only thing I find about the Bucks is that the steel used seems to be somewhat soft, and doesn't seem to hold a good edge very long. JMO

Note: Links are just representative pictures of each knive.

I like my Spyderco/Bill Moran drop point very much (VG-10 steel, 1.0% carbon).
    Takes and holds a terrific edge. It's light, strong and feels great in my hand. http://www.knivesplus.com/SP-FB02-Spyderco.HTML

I have an older Cold Steel Master Hunter with the Carbon V alloy which does pretty well.

I have a Benchmade 190 Hunter in 440C that's very handy, and takes a keen edge. (discontinued now, too bad. Nice knife)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/631...leather-sheath

But, my favorite is the Spyderco/Bill Moran FB02 drop point fixed blade
    Last edited by catboat; 06-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Cross knives. When I bought mine, he told me it is guaranteed until he dies. That, my friends, is a real guarantee.
    Fantastic build quality.
    Pete is a straight shooter and a really good craftsman. Plus he is a joy to talk to.

http://www.buckeyecustomknivesstore.com/index.html

Boolit Master

I made this one years ago from a piece of rotary air compressor Blade.it has stood up to years of rough treatment.

Boolit Master
    This is a very interesting thread, meaning a knife is a very personal item to most who have posted. I have always really liked "GOOD" knives and have owned some of the best.
    It's apparent that what one person feels is a great knife others think along intirely different lines and that is as it should be. Your favorite knife can only be forged after extended experience with it and others.

For me, I bought a Puma sheath knife a long time ago after quite a few disappointments in the cheap knives that would not hold an edge, terrible ballance, and being to light. Light knives are an accident waiting to happen because they just plain don't control well in the hand.
    My main reason for the Puma was it's blade design, a little heft that allowed one to be presise in there cutting, and an ability to hold a very sharp edge for a long time. This knife is used on all small game, domestic stock like hogs/turkeys/chickens and deer. Never had a failure or accident in my life while using this blade design, it just flat out works!

It was/is the "Puma Hunters Pal", not an exotic name but the guy at Puma who designed it knew exactly what he was doing, because that is exactly what it is!

My wife bought me a ML Knives nessmuk pattern for xmas one year and I love gutting a deer with it. I wish I could post pics. It holds an edge like crazy. And I think it was a litle over $100. I first saw them in Backwoodsman magazine. It is a beautiful blade.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

My favorite is a Remington Hammersmith butcher knife that I changed the blade shape on.

Last time I used it, I field dressed 3 deer, next day skinned and deboned mine, cut all the meat, wrapped and froze it.

My knife was just ready for a touch of steel to bring it back a bit but that was all it needed.
    I love good high carbon steel.

Attachment 107480

My new favorite.... Is this purty Case circa 1944-45 that an old timer gave my when I was just a boy....

Attachment 107486

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in MT View Post
    I've used this one for the last 20+ years. It was one of the first ATS34 blades that I had an opportunity to buy. It does the whole gutting/skinning job well (especially on Elk) and I can re-sharpen it at my leisure. The rawhide shoelace is to make sure it doesn't come out of the sheath while it's in my pack.

That's a nice looking knife, I'll bet it feels just right in your hand.

As soon as I can find my camera I'll update this thread with my 2 favorite knives.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234