Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS Pro - Melt 120 volt furnace

Boolit Mold

RCBS Pro - Melt 120 volt furnace

Just received the above furnace. After seven years with my Lee pots, decided to change. Had my first casting session last Friday. Long story short, I had to turn the temp dial to the highest setting to achieve 600-625 degrees. Believe the temp markings were either 750 or 850. Can't remember. Have any of you had the same experience? Thermostat markings only for reference? Other than that, pleased with the results. For the record, both of my Lee pots, turned to the highest settings, only reach 600-625 degrees.

Boolit Master

I think you should check your thermometer first.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Some of the cheaper casting thermometers are not set correctly or not very accurate. I have two RCBS thermometers. One is 15 years old and the other is 1 year old. Both read the same. I have another cheaper budget thermometer that reads 50 degrees different from the RCBS...i had to twist dial face to rezero. I trust the RCBS versions more,.

Boolit Master

The numbers might as well be 1-10 until you adjust the knob to match the temp in the mold. Even after adjusting, it's still only an approximate guide. To adjust, let the alloy melt and sit for a while to become stable in temperature. This is how I adjust it and there may be a better way; this is just one way. When the pilot light goes off and you hear the furnace click off, check the thermometer. If they match, you're done. If not, loosen the setscrews and make the knob match the thermometer. To test the thermometer you can melt some stick on WW or other "pure" lead. Pure lead melts at 621.43 degrees F.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I had followed the instructions in regards to setting the temp and adding alloy. Two hours later, solid ingots. After calling the RCBS service line and being told to send the furnace back, I turned the thermstat dial to the highest setting. Ingots finally melted. Thermometer has always been consistent...either correct or incorrect. Will check.

Boolit Master

And maybe check actual voltage (power) to the pots. A low voltage will not heat as much.

And most pots don't have thermostats, they have controllers. A controller simply adjusts the duty cycle, turning the pot on and off, depending on the setting, with no real feedback from the temperature. The dial is calibrated for 120 volts, and if your mains voltage is only 105, say, then the pot won't get as hot. Possibly the RCBS does have an actual thermostat - IDK...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

The RCBS has a thermostat.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris