Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 788 with cast question?

Boolit Master

788 with cast question?

While we are hot on the 788 remingtons do any of you have actual experience with the 30-30 and if you do can you seat boolits out as far as you want to and still eject if not fired? I seem to remember they look alot like the 340 savages in the reciever ejection port area. If limited by reciever as to ejection of boolits seated in the rifling then I can take one of these off my wish list. Thanks for your input.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

I have one, haven't shot it much yet. It is accurate, but I don't think I've tried to eject a loaded round.

I also have a 340 and that is a problem with it.

Lightbulb Rem. 788's and cast bullets.......

I have two of these fine rifles that I shoot only cast bullets in... Both are 30-30's....I use the Lee 170gr. bullet and load them to the crimp groove... I also shoot this same load in several Lever win 94's.... Nothing special about the loads, just normal care in the reloading process...They all handle the same load well...some a bit better than others but still OK...Never had an issue with ejecting loaded rounds..

Sorry. Mine's a .308
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

308 here also. Does shoot great with the RCBS 180 grain, though.

Boolit Master
    thanks for your reply's, but its 35 years since I last handled a 788 and based on my experience then (jacket only) and looking closely at internet pictures I am going to doubt a round with wide meplat seated to rifling will eject. So off of my wish list and more heat on the fire to turn a small ring mauser action here into a 30-30.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't have my .308 or six M/M to compare it to anymore but I think the ejection port on the 30WCF is as long as they are . I've always seated my 30WCF short because of a lever rifle nearby the might choke on longer ammo .

Jack

Boolit Master
    The 30-30 does not have a front locking bolt so the breech end of the barrel is right at the front of the loading port. The 340 Savage has a front locking bolt might hang on a long pointy round but you can always release the bolt. Either rifle is limited in OAL by the magazine.
    Now if you want some fun try a long pointy bullet in a BLR. No way to pull the bolt on that one.
    EDG

The .308 788 was the top dog on production class in the CBA for many years.its a very good cast bullet gun.It wasn't until they raised the weight limit to include varminters that it was made obsolete. I have owned a few of them in 30-30 and 308 and find the 308's to shoot better than the 30-30's .Unless you throat the 30-30 and it will then shoot about as well.So unless you just love the 30-30 case in the 788 the 308 is a better choice.

George
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    ok that brings a new light to the thought pattern, thanks
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.