WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti Cattleman 44-40 Chamber reaming

Alexander, I have the same problem with a relined '73 Winchester. The bore was supposed to be .428 but was .431, and bullets that size in any brand of case chamber hard. It is easier to work on a revolver cylinder than on a '73 chamber, so if you can find a chambering reamer (not the throating reamers that most of the replies are talking about) with a larger neck section, it should be fairly easy to open them up. I know some finish reamers can be pulled into the chamber using a rod inserted through the muzzle. I don't know if oversized ones are available for the 44-40.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    Alexander, I have the same problem with a relined '73 Winchester. The bore was supposed to be .428 but was .431, and bullets that size in any brand of case chamber hard. It is easier to work on a revolver cylinder than on a '73 chamber, so if you can find a chambering reamer (not the throating reamers that most of the replies are talking about) with a larger neck section, it should be fairly easy to open them up. I know some finish reamers can be pulled into the chamber using a rod inserted through the muzzle. I don't know if oversized ones are available for the 44-40.
    Every caliber seems to have issues of some sort. It's been my experience that the 44-40 does have a few quirks. The small neck, ie: too small to accommodate a boolit that is any bigger than 0.427" is one. The 38-55 rifle has a similar issue with any boolit over 0.379". Opening up the neck can be accomplished with a chamber reamer. Or some specialty reamer, perhaps.

I have a newer production Smoke Wagon and the throats are my issue. My chambers will accommodate 430 boolits. Unfortunately my throats are 0.4335", and the groove diameter is 430.

I do wonder when the gun industry will get these right!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The problem is that the chamber NECK is too small to allow cartridges assembled with .430" bullets to chamber. My Ruger Vaquero had .430 barrel groove diameter with .427 cylinder throats and .444 chamber neck. John Taylor rechambered the cylinder to open chamber neck diameter to .447-.448 and cylinder throats to .4305". He also fitted and chambered a Bowen cylinder blank to .44-40 for my Super Blackhawk. I shoot Accurate 43-206H .430" bullets with 6.5 grains of Bullseye for good results.

My Pietta Frontier came with correct dimensions from the factory and uses the same ammo with .430 bullets assembled in Starline brass. No leading, very accurate. My original Winchester and 1905 Colt New Service shoot well with the same ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12