Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti Cattleman 44-40 Chamber reaming

Boolit Man

Uberti Cattleman 44-40 Chamber reaming

I've read online that Uberti 44-40 revolvers can be inaccurate, due .430 cylinder throats but chambers that can't accommodate larger diameter bullets. One of the articles suggested a solution was to have the cylinder reamed out so that normal .44 caliber bullets can be used.

I have a revolver that has .430 cylinder throats but won't chamber any bullets larger than .428. Does anyone know of a gunsmith out there that performs this kind of custom reaming service?

Boolit Buddy

Reamers for the job can be purchased or rented from several places.

It is a job that can be done by hand with a little tlc.

Boolit Buddy

Reamers can be rented or purchased from several places.

Adjustable reamers are also an option.

This is a job you can do by hand with a little TLC.

Boolit Man
    What kind of reamer do I need? Any leads on where to rent one?

Boolit Buddy

An expandable hss reamer will work. Make sure it covers the size range you need.
    They are not too expensive. You could buy one and have it for the future. You will need a set of mics or calipers to measure it.

Go slow and take your time.

Boolit Bub
    brownells used to sell a kit with the reamer and pilots . 10 years ago it was something around $30

Boolit Man
    Don't suppose you remember the part number of have a link to it?

Boolit Grand Master

I am confused. As far as I know, groove diameters for .44-40 are .427, so if you
    load a .430 boolit into a .430 throat behind a .427 barrel, you should have a
    really good arrangement.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

ADMIN

To be honest most modern 44/40's use 44 mag/44spl barrels.
    I size my 44/40s to .430

My brother No_1 has a reamer set and is doing all my cowboy caliber pistols.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a new .431" Manson reamer, PM if you want to send your cylinder here.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I am confused. As far as I know, groove diameters for .44-40 are .427, so if you
    load a .430 boolit into a .430 throat behind a .427 barrel, you should have a
    really good arrangement.

Bill
    This is true, but larger bullet diameters do not chamber in the cylinder, so the cylinder throat can't be matched to the bullet. I have tried with a Lee .44 mold and was not able to get the bullets to chamber even after sizing them down .002 or .003.

I found reference to this being a problem with Uberti 44-40s here (last post in the thread):

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-230700.html

Cast Boolits Owner

My experience with the 2 Uberti revolvers and 1 Ruger Vaquero currently in my safe would be pistols which are built using barrels designed for 44 Mag / 44 Special. The Uberti's cylinder throats slugged .427 which was easily corrected to .430 with little trouble using the reamer I purchased from Manson reamers .

After reading this thread a couple of times I believe you are having problems different than what I experienced. You indicate the throats of this revolver are already at .430 but ammo built with .430 boolits will not chamber. I do not believe a throat reamer is going to solve your problem. When I first loaded for the Uberti's I thought I was having the same problem as you until I increased the crimp. In closing, If you are not crimping then I suggest a roll crimp and if you are then I suggest you try a little bit heavier crimp before you ship the cylinder off for rework.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    I also am having problems with a couple of 44-40's chambers. My Rugers have small throats were .425 and the bores of the barrels are .431. So I reamed the chamber mouths to .431, but now my brass with .431 bullets are a press fit into the chambers. Now I need to ream the chambers to open up to handle the loaded rounds. I guess I will have to order a chucking reamer to take a couple thousands out of the chamber necks. Been busy and haven't got around to it. This is what happens when manufactures combine new and old measurements for production runs. We have to re-invent the wheel to get things to work. The toolman.

Boolit Man
    I'm wondering if it's possible that the expander die I have isn't opening the necks of the brass enough to handle larger bullets. The outside diameter of the expander plug is .425 (so .002 smaller than a .427 bullet). So the .427s get seated without case buckling/bulging, but perhaps .430 causes a bulge which hangs up the case in the cylinder. Does this sound plausible? If so is it possible to get a larger diameter expander for a RCBS cowboy 44-40 die?

Boolit Grand Master

Try using a soft alloy and a fast powder like Bullseye, and the largest boolit that will
    chamber. This may bump up and get it to work.

Another trick is to drill in a few hollow bases, maybe 1/4" about 3/16" deep as a trial. This
    may expand the base enough to get good results. If it works, you are stuck finding a
    HB mold or making a drill jig to drill them.

Both methods were how the old ammo was made to work in these guns.

Bill

Boolit Master
    now for the big question. have you shot it yet? how does it shoot? or are you going by what you have read?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    now for the big question. have you shot it yet? how does it shoot? or are you going by what you have read?
    I've shot it a fair bit. The groups at 15 yards were wider than other pistols by a fair margin using Oregon Trail hard cast .427 bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderkidd View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible that the expander die I have isn't opening the necks of the brass enough to handle larger bullets. The outside diameter of the expander plug is .425 (so .002 smaller than a .427 bullet). So the .427s get seated without case buckling/bulging, but perhaps .430 causes a bulge which hangs up the case in the cylinder. Does this sound plausible? If so is it possible to get a larger diameter expander for a RCBS cowboy 44-40 die?
    No that doesn't sound plausible. When you are done reaming your chambers you my want the larger expander, but as long as there is no true buckling, that bulge is just caused by a larger bullet in a smaller case. It won't cause a chambering problem. You are worrying about the tight place below the large bullet, if I am reading you correctly, and the tighter part will chamber fine.

If the case neck is belled, the large bullet will go in the case. If the bullet is relatively hard, the case neck won't size the bullet down even with an undersized expander.

If you get true case buckling it will be very apparent to the naked eye.
    Rule 303

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Try using a soft alloy and a fast powder like Bullseye, and the largest boolit that will
    chamber. This may bump up and get it to work.

Another trick is to drill in a few hollow bases, maybe 1/4" about 3/16" deep as a trial. This
    may expand the base enough to get good results. If it works, you are stuck finding a
    HB mold or making a drill jig to drill them.

Both methods were how the old ammo was made to work in these guns.

Bill
    Are there any hollow-base .427-.428 molds to be had? Would be interested in trying this method.

Also would Clip-on Wheel Weight lead be too hard?

Boolit Grand Master

Test the idea by drilling some soft cast plain based slugs before
    doing anything, easy and cheap. You will probably have trouble
    finding a factory HB, but I wonder if Erik could rework a regular
    mold to HB? HBs are normally made nose-pour and regular molds
    are all base pour, so I wonder if it is possible to recut and remount
    the sprue plate. If serious, after proving it will work, contact Erik
    at Hollowpoint Services.

Cast up some soft boolits to the largest that will chamber and load over
    a stiff charge of fast powder, this may well work, too.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast