Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Uberti 1873

Uberti 1873

Thinking about a '73 big bore. Looking for recommendations from current owners. Do you prefer .44 or .45? Will these rifles handle magnum loads?
    Would appreciate any and all input.

Boolit Master

I have one in 44/40 and 45 colt. I enjoy shooting them very much. As you know the mechanism in a '73 isn't very strong. I wouldn't hot rod either. The heaviest load I have fired is a case full of BP. I doubt if this helps you much in your decision.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

I have a Henry 44-40 and a 1873 in 45 Colt. The 44-40 is real accurate the 45 is OK. I think I'd try a 44-40. Beautiful gun though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1873 uberti.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	78611

Boolit Man
    Howdy- have a '73 in .45 Colt, accuracy with with full power "standard" loads is good. I have NOT put any "Ruger (large frame) and Contender only" loads in it, ever. If you really need a magnum lever gun, they are out there- but the '73 isn't it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a 24" Bbl Sporting rifle in 44/40. Lovely rifle and very accurate. If you are looking for hot loads, you are looking at the wrong rifle.

A Marlin or Rossi 92 can handle anything sensible and are cheaper to boot. I'd go Rossi if you like open sights (The Rossi would benefit from aftermarket sights, preferably a peep) and a Marlin 1894 if you fancy using a scope sight. I have all three and they are chalk and cheese. All good, all different.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Straight sided cartridges can give feeding problems in levers. This may be one reason the 45 long Coli wasn't offered in the originals. I had a little of this in a Rossi 357 and it was the cartridge not the rifle. I could have made it behave, but I am lazy and like the 39/30 better.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    What Bill said!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have a uberti 73 in 45 LC and it works just fine. A 1873 model is a weak design and I would NOT run full power ruger type loads thru it. I shoot cowboy action and I have more than 10,000 rounds thru it and it still works as it should. These are lower power 45 LC loads. I also have a Rossi 92 in 45 LC and shoot full power ruger type loads thru it and no problems.

I have an 1873 short rifle in .44 Special that I bought for CAS and it's a fine rifle. When I first started shooting it in CAS all I had was a 250 gr. SWC bullet mould so that's the bullet I used. Never, ever a single feeding problem. It's quite accurate too. What little I've fired it at 100 yds. has given me 2" groups. I haven't used super heavy loads yet, but I'm not afraid to. Folks who claim the Uberti's 1873's are weak seem to forget they're chambered in .357 (and now .44) Magnum both of which run pressures in the 36K range. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a Uberti 1873 carbine in .44 Magnum.
    A few years ago Brian Pearce tested a 24" 1873 .44 Special and ran a 250 gr. SWC over 1500 fps. (Rifle Magazine #216)

Good luck with your choice.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member