Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Excellent graphics and info. I am convinced that electrostatic powder coat is the best method, and for sure will get the best looking results.
    Best method for what?

They work no better than tumbled bullets.

And, bad looking bullets shoot flawless, just like beautiful bullets do...with a helluva lot less time involved.

I can tumble coat and cook 600 (all my oven will hold) 44 cal bullets in less than 20 minutes...and every single one of them will do everything that we expect of pc...perform flawlessly.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 10-09-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Best method for what?

They work no better than tumbled bullets.

And, bad looking bullets shoot flawless, just like beautiful bullets do...with a helluva lot less time involved.

I can tumble coat and cook 600 (all my oven will hold) 44 cal bullets in less than 20 minutes...and every single one of them will do everything that we expect of pc...perform flawlessly.
    You say potato......I say potaaaaato.

To each his own. I personally do not need that many boolits at one time!

We are both accomplishing the same goal......FUN!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Sorry Beagle! Now yer gonna have ta belly up to the bar!!!!!!! "The whole world's watching!"

Post those results. Inquiring minds must know.
    I should get it plumbed up and working for testing this weekend. The forecast for more rain is only 20% tomorrow and none on Sunday.

edit: It's raining here at 5am on Saturday. But the forecast looks good.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 10-10-2015 at 08:53 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I should get it plumbed up and working for testing this weekend. The forecast for more rain is only 20% tomorrow and none on Sunday.

edit: It's raining here at 5am on Saturday. But the forecast looks good.
    Sun? What sun it has been raining here for three weeks and their is no yellow globe in our 7 day forecast. Does it really exist or are you guys just pulling my leg. Off to the garage to cast some more bullets. Not sure why our range is probably about to float away....

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    Take my word for it, Olde Sol still exists!

Here in the desert SW, we get around 388 days of sun a year. (!!) Guess that's why theyc all it a desert? Wed even has that dreded 100 temp in the forcast. I thought we were done with those.
    Sorry Al.....I forgot....global warming.

We have had the rare cloudy days over the past couple weeks. I pointed out to the wife recently the big puffy coluds we were used to back in IA and MI. Rarely have them here.

I like clouds. That way I can justify all those big funny animals I see! HA.....ha.

Boolit Grand Master

How many days you get in a year out there?

I just put a big gob of wet dirty WW in the smelter. That can fizzle and pop for a while til it gets dried out. Everything is just soaked mush in this part of the world.

Boolit Grand Master
    388..............means we get waaaaaaaaay too much sun! That is why I love gray overcast cloudy days.......like many of you guys have all the time.

Currently on the 'surface of the sun" (Phoenix calls itself the "valley" of the sun)

DP = 54

RH = 38

temp = 89

Dry as a bone here. No rain in the 10 day. Normal rain is 7.5 or so /year. Right now we are exactly where we should be.

But no drouth like in CA. We plan ahead!

banger

You live i the exact opposite of my digs. Up here near the coast I live in a rain forest. Guess what??? It is well named. We do get hard white rain for a few months of the year. followed by soft clear rain, followed by.......

I gotta find a wood stove to jump into. Sam McGee and I have a lot in common.

Take Care

Bob
    ps Cast most this morning. Tomorrow I'll do some more than unleash the paint gun.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I am looking at getting into pc'ing boolits, and am looking to buy an air compressor for use with the HF gun. Is there a minimum size air compressor needed for this? I was kind of thinking going with the 3lb pancake compressor from HF, but wasn't sure if that was big enough.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

You only need 12-15 psi. You could actually do a tray or two with the little portable air tank that some fill up at the gas station and keep in the trunk, if you wanted. Almost any air compressor would work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    I am looking at getting into pc'ing boolits, and am looking to buy an air compressor for use with the HF gun. Is there a minimum size air compressor needed for this? I was kind of thinking going with the 3lb pancake compressor from HF, but wasn't sure if that was big enough.

Thanks!
    I use one of those cheapo HF pancakes in my back shop. It works fine...runs a lot but I have ~50 feet of 3/4" SCH40 tubing running around & out side for my ESPC guns and that takes a bit to fill that volume when it runs.

One thing to be aware of: they use the cheapest garbage rubber for the diaphragm in the pressure switch. After ~2 years, mine turned to liquid rubber! Literally! Liquid gooey rubber. Went to Grainger down the street to buy a good one and the switch cost more (my company net) than the stupid compressor at HF. At lease I will have a good switch when the compressor/motor gives out!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't read all of this so maybe the question was already asked. the front of the bullet from the ogive to the tip never contact's the barrel. Why is it that it seem's everyone doing this powder coats the front of the bullet?

Hmmm... perhaps I should avoid the HF model and spend a little more. I found this one, it's a 6 gallon Porter Cable (comes with nail guns, which is a bonus!)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...2234/203471431

I'm guessing this would be better suited?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    I didn't read all of this so maybe the question was already asked. the front of the bullet from the ogive to the tip never contact's the barrel. Why is it that it seem's everyone doing this powder coats the front of the bullet?
    Because it's easier to stand the boolit on the base than the nose, and the spray gun just makes a fog of powder when it sprays the boolits, so the nose just gets coated as overspray. You are correct that it isn't necessary.

Banned

Hmmm... perhaps I should avoid the HF model and spend a little more. I found this one, it's a 6 gallon Porter Cable (comes with nail guns, which is a bonus!)

Since you are only going to be using 25psi or so, it should work just fine. Get a used one, it will save you half.

Boolit Grand Master

They are all made in China!

banger

Banned

I think we should ban imports. Entirely. If we need it, build it.

Is it better to run one of the oilless air compressors? Or is it ok to run one that needs oil?

Boolit Grand Master
    Oilless is best. But if you put filters AND dryers in your air lines, you can use a standard piston compressor.

Pistons last a whole lot longer and are much quieter, but need oil. Those cheap direct drive diaphragm units tend to be very noisy and wear out much faster.

You do NOT want any oil (or water) in the air!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Oilless is best. But if you put filters AND dryers in your air lines, you can use a standard piston compressor.

Pistons last a whole lot longer and are much quieter, but need oil. Those cheap direct drive diaphragm units tend to be very noisy and wear out much faster.

You do NOT want any oil (or water) in the air!!!!!!
    I would want a dryer on the airline even with an oilless, correct?

Any recommendations on where to get a dryer for the air line?

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast