Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester '92 history

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Winchester '92 history

Where would a fella go to find out the particulars of his 1892 Winchester as it left the factory ? I did a little google and found the Cody Mueseum but I'm not sure that will be much help .

Thanks , Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 08-04-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    That would be the place. They've got all the Winchester records on the early rifles. It'll cost you $50 (last I knew, it might be more now) so it's likely not something you're going to bother with on a shooter plain-jane '92. But if you need to verify factory options on a special order rifle, they're the place to go. I've gone that route on several '94's.
    yooper

OK thanks , The owner may choose to spend the money since the serial number puts it in the second year of production .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Can I ask the serial # about, as I have one with about a 10K serial # in 44-40. just want to know?

Boolit Master
    Just call Cody and give them the serial # and about $50 and they'll look up the factory records for that particular gun. They'll send you a "factory letter". Most of the time the info is very basic but usually includes any special order features if applicable. Well worth having and keeping with gun. When selling, it is a bonus to have the letter. They are fairly prompt to any request. As far as date of manufacture? Any number of sources have the lists by model. Also there may be a slight difference between the receiver serial date of manufacture and the barrel or when the gun actually shipped from the factory. You can also remove the fore stock and look at the barrel just in front of the receiver. If there is a two digit number there it is likely the barrel date. You can try this link also for DOMs.
    http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Jack, got a deal for you ... send me the $50, then look up the production date in this table ... http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppor...-Documents.pdf

If you are looking for traveler information, have to remember Winchester had a fire and many records were destroyed. Just settle for the production date
    Regards
    John

IIRC, Winchester doesn't have info on Model 92 rifles/carbines made around 1905-9 - so anyone interested in a Cody Letter might want to run their gun's SN through one of the SN lookup engines, to get at least a rough idea of it's DOM.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I'll tell him about the barrel numbers and that may be very helpful to him . Owner is asking if the sixteen inch barrel is original and without records best answer I could give was ...... maybe . I know they made lots of different lenths .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Geez, NOW you mention a 16" barrel! A factory letter would be the difference between a cut-off $200 relic and a several thousand dollar extremely rare collector prize. I'd have a factory letter on the way so fast it would make you blink. Good luck.
    yooper