WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: RPM Threshold barrel twist/velocity chart

Boolit Master
    Larry,

Thank you for all your work, and for putting all that info out there for the rest of us. I've read the first two parts over twice, and studied the graphs. Its going to take a while just to digest that part. Please keep the info coming. Its really interesting!

Thanks again,

Dave

Banned

Can't argue larry, there sure must be a difference in in what cast can take. I admit my work was with jacketed in varmint rifles where I shot worse at 100 then at 350. I firmly believe a boolit or bullet can go to "sleep."
    It drives me nuts to shoot small groups at 100 with cast in my BPCR and can not hit a ram at 500 no matter what. I watch boolits go way off course. I can bust every pig but after so far the boolit just goes on it's own.
    To find a boolit that is linear, 1" at 100, 2" at 200, 3" at 300 is a pipe dream. But it is true that a bullet that does 1" at 100 can shoot smaller at 400.
    But no way a 14-1/2" group will be reduced.
    Pilgrim stated lighter bullets with slow twists and is correct. Drive faster so spin is up but to mention Greenhill in any context is off.

Boolit Mold
    Good work,I often wonder what effect if any that different number of grooves in a barrel would have on the same tests that you have done

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't mention # of grooves in my earlier post, but again the HBR folk are plowing new ground (I think, anyway). I dunno what the current flavor is, but 6 or 8 years ago it was 17 twist 3 groove barrels. I'm not entirely sure what the number of grooves has to do with accuracy. Remember the 2 groove military barrels, and the current Marlin microgroove barrels? Both can be made to shoot extremely well. The military 2 groove barrels appear to me the minimum, while the microgroove barrels are at the other extreme. I don't think you could make a single groove barrel work any too well due to bullet imbalance, but any number of grooves 2 or more can be made to work IMO. FWIW Pilgrim

L Ross
    Impressive amount of work Larry, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    Larry, nice work. I am still not clear on why accuracy deteriorates above the RPM Threshold. I agree you have shown it does but the BC data does not show bullet damage or instability. I can think of a couple suspects but have no way to confirm them. If you have a idea would you care to speculate? One kind of damage that would not show up in the PC data might be if the bullet became unbalanced with the center of mass not on the centerline of the bullet. Not real sure how that could happen but higher RPM would make that damage's affect on accuracy more obvious. Something else that might not show in the BC data but could maybe be seen on the muzzle of the barrel would be if because of skid there was uneven blow by the bullet when exiting the barrel. I know that you said you did not see any lube failures or excessive leading but did you check the muzzle for the lube star and was it even? It might also be possible that it was some other bullet damage that would not show up in the BC data. I don't have a clue what fins or shreds would do to BC data.

Just some stray thoughts, thanks again for sharing.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Thank you Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    .......... I know that you said you did not see any lube failures or excessive leading but did you check the muzzle for the lube star and was it even? It might also be possible that it was some other bullet damage that would not show up in the BC data. I don't have a clue what fins or shreds would do to BC data.

Tim
    Here are the muzzles after a HV testing of lubes with the 311466 bullet. The photo is of all 3 test muzzles after 10 shots each with Javelina lube at 2600 fps using the same load in each. Accuracy really sucked with the left 10" twist barrel, just sucked with the 12" twist middle barrel and was very good with the 14" twist right barrel.

Lube star looks good to me considering the psi at exit from the muzzle.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 108203

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Here are the muzzles after a HV testing of lubes with the 311466 bullet. The photo is of all 3 test muzzles after 10 shots each with Javelina lube at 2600 fps using the same load in each. Accuracy really sucked with the left 10" twist barrel, just sucked with the 12" twist middle barrel and was very good with the 14" twist right barrel.

Lube star looks good to me considering the psi at exit from the muzzle.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 108203
    Yeah, I would say those look fine, no problem there, so uneven blow by is not the problem.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Larry, great info. and you have given a lot of time and effort collecting it for all of us to see.
    Bet ya a dollar Felix was watching and he would have been happy with the test results also.
    You both give us alot to think about and asorb.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I learned a lot from Felix over the years. He is missed.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, Larry. Well done, well written.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Lead is a problem, it is a proven fact that even a tiny wobble with jacketed is no good, why the Juenke tool was developed. Tests showed much increased accuracy when bullets were sorted from the tool.
    Molds can't make perfect boolits no matter what. Usually a little out of round and forced through a bore just displaces lead. Even a piece of lube staying in a GG can upset things.
    I still appreciate Larry's work.

Larry...You get a giant attaboy! You have given a data and scientific basis to what cast bullet shooters have known and experienced for generations, but could not quantify beyond a few basic things. Good going, truly good going.

Charles...
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Wonderful data - thanks Larry. I think many who DON'T believe the RPM threshold don't understand 200-300,000 RPM. Stick a 1/32" dremel drill in the tool and crank it up, watch the tip. That's only 35k rpm and a tool steel precision bit. Now imagine that type action on a boolit in flight. It's not RPM but rotational mass (inertia) that does the stabilizing. Can't prove it but those long skinny boolits do flex in flight.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I knew a guy once who didn't believe in gravity. He finally found a cliff that convinced him permanently.

Excellent write up Larry.
    You're willingness to provide pictures where most of the holes are in a group and not "called flyers" is commendable. It takes a lot of time money and patience to zero in on specifics like this (as well as being a stone cold, darn good shot), and no matter what our membership takes from your article, I hope they glean the importance of keeping the variables to a minimum so that you can learn something.
    I'm still trying to rid myself of the temptation to just throw a bunch of lead into the berm and try to learn something from it later. LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Thanks Larry, the time and effort that you put into this is appreciated. I'm curious about if you ever found the RPM threshold to move downward as bullet diameter increases? I'm thinking about this from a machinist point of view and how you run a larger diameter cutter at a slower spindle speed than a smaller cutter. Even though the cutter is turning slower, edge of the tool is moving at the same S.F.M. (surface feet per minute) as the smaller cutter. Transferring this knowledge to cast bullets, if there is a small imperfection in a cast bullet it would greater effect bullet stability the further it was from the center of rotation.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I knew a guy once who didn't believe in gravity. He finally found a cliff that convinced him permanently.

Excellent write up Larry.
    You're willingness to provide pictures where most of the holes are in a group and not "called flyers" is commendable. It takes a lot of time money and patience to zero in on specifics like this (as well as being a stone cold, darn good shot), and no matter what our membership takes from your article, I hope they glean the importance of keeping the variables to a minimum so that you can learn something.
    I'm still trying to rid myself of the temptation to just throw a bunch of lead into the berm and try to learn something from it later. LOL!

No Tim, keeping variables to a minimum in a SINGLE test is important.

Multiple variables are to be tested in multiple tests, with one thing being varied at a time.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent write up Larry and thanks for sharing your work, good job as usual! Imagine one of those 30xcb's chambered in a 15 or 16 twist barrel the way it was meant to be done, smokin.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Nice job Larry, thanks!

Uh...I'm going to sleep now. No spin, I win.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast