Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Chilean Steyr 1912 M98 question

Boolit Buddy

Chilean Steyr 1912 M98 question

I traded two project guns at the gunshow this past weekend for a 1912 Steyr M98 Mauser (yes, cock on closing). It was an import through Century and barrel looks unfired though it is now a 308 - NATO stamped on receiver underneath the crest. The stock looks as though it went through our civil war. I may want to convert it to 8mm using a surplus barrel. Anyone know whether it is a large or small ring?

Large Ring - Mauser's with a Large ring have a thread shank diameter of 1.10" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 3/8 . You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From center hole to center of other hole should measure about 7 7/8 or 7.830.

Small Ring - Mausers with a Small ring have a thread shank diameter of .980" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 1/4. You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From the center of the holes measure , it should measure about 7 5/8 or 7.625.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john hayslip View Post
    I traded two project guns at the gunshow this past weekend for a 1912 Steyr M98 Mauser (yes, cock on closing). It was an import through Century and barrel looks unfired though it is now a 308 - NATO stamped on receiver underneath the crest. The stock looks as though it went through our civil war. I may want to convert it to 8mm using a surplus barrel. Anyone know whether it is a large or small ring?
    That should be a cock on opening, liike other M98's.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy

Yeah! My face is red - I blew that one - it cocks on opening and that is what I knew and meant to say. Thanks for the correction.

John,

Re-barreling is a lot of work unless you can do it yourself. Why not see how well it shoots as a 308W? You might have a decent shooting rifle.

As you may know, when converting an 8x57 to 308, to keep up with NATO ammo suppliers, there is some work that needs to be done to the magazine. Some milling of the area that comes into contact with the shoulder of the cases while in loaded up. Also, I've seen a small block fixed to the front of the magazine to account for the shorter 308 cartridges. You may have to reverse that work to get the gun to cycle 8x57 correctly.

Enjoy,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 07-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.