Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powdercoat jig thread

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just size down 9mm neck to 30 with sizer die.
    Hmmm. I don't have a .30 resizing die short enough to work, but if I pushed a 9mm case into a .358 push-through size it should reduce the ID to .34xxish, which would be PERFECT and then I could tap them back out of the die with a wood dowel and a hammer.

THANK YOU for the idea.

Pull the decapper pin & use the dowel to pop out. You will end up grinding or scraping the case mouths to get conductivity back after you cook a few times.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Pull the decapper pin & use the dowel to pop out. You will end up grinding or scraping the case mouths to get conductivity back after you cook a few times.
    I overthought the whole thing then got the press out a little while ago, and figured out that a .38 special case ran through the crimp die made a perfect holder for .38 bullets. Same with a .45 ACP case. Perfect fit; the bullet nose goes in the case and the driving bands are fully exposed.

But my youngest just went to bed and the air compressor's right under her, and empty, and I can't run it again until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this will work now, though. I just hate to sacrifice the brass.

I did have some problems with a ridge on the nose that caused chambering problems.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I did have some problems with a ridge on the nose that caused chambering problems.
    I'm thinking that if I don't coat in front of the driving band, on the nose, then the ridge at the edge of the coating will come right off in the sizing die.

For that matter, I could skip crimping the cases and push the bullets into the cases and only coat up to the crimp groove. There's no need to cover the front driving band, anyway. It's not covered on a conventional lubed bullet.

no need to cover the front driving band, anyway. It's not covered on a conventional lubed bullet.
    but there is lube left in the bbl. Not so with PC, we hope anyway.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

but there is lube left in the bbl. Not so with PC, we hope anyway.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that.

Guess I'll stick with the setup that covers the driving bands. Working from home today and if it isn't raining after the youngest finishes her nap, I may give this a trial run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12