WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crisco/lard properties

Banned
    loacation is fluid. home is City of Angels.

Crisco/lard properties

I sometimes use crisco for lube on bp boolits, but had a question about it. If rubbed on metal like gun grease,does crisco prevent rust/block moisture on an equal level with gun grease.

i thought this was a site with knowlegeable people,but after 84 views and no replies it seems theres at least 84 people here that dont know what theyre talking about. i asked the question because i wanted to know if itd work in a pinch and if it was the best boolit lube as some old timers have told me.
    Last edited by creatinewarrior; 07-24-2013 at 02:11 PM.

In Remembrance

It works good as a BP lube and will in a pinch protect metal at least for a little while, but there are better lubes/protectants out there.

Boolit Buddy
    Patience brother.. Some threads get hit hard with responses right away, some don't. The wealth of knowledge on this sight is immense and it will come.

In answer to your question.. Crisco will do in a pinch but as "aspangler" mentioned, there are better metal protectors out there. Also, there is a difference between Crisco and lard. Crisco will not go bad/rancid because it is vegetable oil that has been hydrogenated. Lard, real lard is just rendered fat and will smell and go bad over time. I use Crisco for a number of things, like boolit lube ingredient (both BP and smokeless), and as sizing lube.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    It works good as a BP lube and will in a pinch protect metal at least for a little while, but there are better lubes/protectants out there.
    Finally, a man on here. thank you for being respectful and i appreciate your answer.it helped.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    Patience brother.. Some threads get hit hard with responses right away, some don't. The wealth of knowledge on this sight is incredible and it will come.

In answer to your question.. Crisco will do in a pinch but as "aspangler" mentioned, there are better metal protectors out there. Also, there is a difference between Crisco and lard. Crisco will not go bad/rancid because it is vegetable oil that has been hydrogenated. Lard, real lard is just rendered fat and will smell and go bad over time. I use Crisco for a number of things, like boolit lube ingredient (both BP and smokeless), and as sizing lube.

Shad
    Shadman, thanks, the stuff im using says"meat fats,vegetable oil,mono and diglycer etc etc" Since its more readily available to me and sticks better than silicone spray i was just wondering if rubbing it on some metal refinishing projects im working on in between sanding will keep the rust at bay until i can sand it all off,as i live in a salty area. i appreciate your response,have a great day!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by creatinewarrior View Post
    Shadman, thanks, the stuff im using says"meat fats,vegetable oil,mono and diglycer etc etc" Since its more readily available to me and sticks better than silicone spray i was just wondering if rubbing it on some metal refinishing projects im working on in between sanding will keep the rust at bay until i can sand it all off,as i live in a salty area. i appreciate your response,have a great day!
    I'd use Vaseline or some other brand of petroleum jelly to protect bare metal.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by creatinewarrior View Post
    Finally, a man on here. thank you for being respectful and i appreciate your answer.it helped.
    I will suggest you keep your tone the same way when posting here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    The Crisco can and will work. The lard can have acids that will attack metal after a time. Same acid as in blood,but has enough oil in it till oil goes bad.Then the oil in lard breaks down.I suggest you put some lard on a cleaned bare piece of metal(iron-steel),and place in a jar to watch.Never touch the metal after been cleaned with your bare hands as your oils will cause rust,and contaminate the experiment.Take a picture on day one,30 days later,and so on in monthly progression.Post it on here with your results. Everyone will learn from it.

As for you comment about people on here because of views versus comments,people on here don't post about something they know nothing about. They will view to learn. Being ignorant on a certain particular subject such as this does not reflect on whether they know what their talking about.Some one who has knowledge to answer can be on vacation(or work) when it was posted,and as it was not bumped by you it was lost in pages back of the forum. Respect generates answers!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Bub
    One problem with Crisco is that over time it will dry out and get gummy and/or flaky rendering it practically useless. I've seen this on musket rounds that I forgot about. Some olive oil in the mix extends the life greatly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    The Crisco can and will work. The lard can have acids that will attack metal after a time. Same acid as in blood,but has enough oil in it till oil goes bad.Then the oil in lard breaks down.I suggest you put some lard on a cleaned bare piece of metal(iron-steel),and place in a jar to watch.Never touch the metal after been cleaned with your bare hands as your oils will cause rust,and contaminate the experiment.Take a picture on day one,30 days later,and so on in monthly progression.Post it on here with your results. Everyone will learn from it.

As for you comment about people on here because of views versus comments,people on here don't post about something they know nothing about. They will view to learn. Being ignorant on a certain particular subject such as this does not reflect on whether they know what their talking about.Some one who has knowledge to answer can be on vacation(or work) when it was posted,and as it was not bumped by you it was lost in pages back of the forum. Respect generates answers!
    84 views with no answers equals no respect in my view.you woulnt ignore a man in person.its highly unlikely all 84 of those ppl knew nothing about crisco, while the last 4 or 5 knew a lot. thats why i respectfully told them thank you. It was respect that generated the last 4 or 5 posts. i had a question and if 84 ppl couldnt answer it on this site where experts are it means they just blew me off. i dont respect people that blow me off 84 times.84 ppl viewed it before i edited it and expressed my displeasure,then some cool ppl helped me out.

Thank you for your input about crisco.i already tested it on a rusted knife and it seemed to stem the corrosion, but i wanted to ask experts and make sure i was correct in thinking crisco had multiple uses as not only a bullet lube, but as a short term "Outers gun grease"substitute.
    thank you for your time!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
    One problem with Crisco is that over time it will dry out and get gummy and/or flaky rendering it practically useless. I've seen this on musket rounds that I forgot about. Some olive oil in the mix extends the life greatly.
    thanks! i have olive oil too. i use the crisco to lube 12 gauge blk powder slugs sometimes. its way less expensive than the brand stuff!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    I'd use Vaseline or some other brand of petroleum jelly to protect bare metal.
    thanks ill try that maybe

Cast Boolits Owner

OK Creatinewarrior I have viewed your thread and after reading your rant I feel obligated to show some of this respect you think you deserve by providing my answer.....

I have never tried Crisco as a lube to prevent rust BUT I have fried chicken with it and can tell you all about that if it would help in your quest for knowledge.

As far as vaseline goes, I would suggest you don't try that. I tried it as a long term protectant on some moulds but when I checked them about a year after putting them away I found staining on the metal and browning of the vaseline. I cleaned all the moulds (about 300) then coated them with synthetic 2 stoke oil which has proven to be the "ticket" for long term storage.

Getting down to business, you have only been here how long 10 days? Chill out. The people who answered you did not do it because they respect you, they did it because they thought they could provide useful information. The other folks most likely thought the thread looked interesting and decided to take a peak.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master
    Crisco as a BP lube is fine, as a rust preventative? Not on my guns. Not now, not ever.

As for "respect", it is a two way street. I was one of those views with no response. Why? E cause I didn't know for sure what the post was about until I viewed it. Once I viewed it is decided it wasn't worthy of a response at that time. I now have more time and responded.

Boolit Buddy
    creatinewarrior, You might think that this place is full of people that know everything and just waiting to answer questions for new members but your wrong. I just clicked on this post because I too didnt know about lard and crisco but wanted to find out. A lot of people like myself are also here to try to learn answers to others questions. Not disrespectful. Getting angry at the poeple on this site will do nothing more for you than turn people away from checking out your future posts. Rick!

I didn't know the thread title was a question and thought the op was going to explain their properties.

Banned
    84 ppl ignored me.i edited my post in complaint.immediately 5 people responded and helped me with an answer. I came here to get an answer because this is supposed to be where experts are.it took me being emphatic to get people to pay attention to my question to help me. I can promise you that I would never say anything here that I wouldn't say to a man face to face.you strike me as the same kind of person. I appreciate your answer and input,thank you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    OK Creatinewarrior I have viewed your thread and after reading your rant I feel obligated to show some of this respect you think you deserve by providing my answer.....

I have never tried Crisco as a lube to prevent rust BUT I have fried chicken with it and can tell you all about that if it would help in your quest for knowledge.

As far as vaseline goes, I would suggest you don't try that. I tried it as a long term protectant on some moulds but when I checked them about a year after putting them away I found staining on the metal and browning of the vaseline. I cleaned all the moulds (about 300) then coated them with synthetic 2 stoke oil which has proven to be the "ticket" for long term storage.

Getting down to business, you have only been here how long 10 days? Chill out. The people who answered you did not do it because they respect you, they did it because they thought they could provide useful information. The other folks most likely thought the thread looked interesting and decided to take a peak.
    In person I will get respect man to man, so I guess that for some reason rolled over to here and I felt affronted at 84 ppl not answering. Maybe I should have worded it differently,but im a fighter,so I can come off as a jerk.my bad. the way you talked to me as a moderator prompts me to say maybe I should have been emphatic about voicing my need for an answer in a different way.

But that other moderator guy,mrwaksupi from somers Montana up there just told me to watch my tone as if he was talking down to someone and if youre going to talk to a man that way,do it face to face not behind a computer screen. I appreciate you being a man here and telling me in a way that you would want me to tell you, except with grilled chicken. whether I stay here or not,thanks for the info on 2 stroke oil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I will suggest you keep your tone the same way when posting here.
    I will suggest you keep your tone when talking to me.a man talks to another man on here the same way they would in person.Like your other moderators do. I have no problem admitting being wrong, but you talk to me like you would want to be talked to. it's abrasive and caustic.
    Last edited by creatinewarrior; 07-25-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I viewed.
    Didn't know the answer, didn't post.
    Looked back when I saw some posts to learn the answer 'cause I was interested.
    Probably a lot of views were unregistered guests as well.
    This site gets A LOT of traffic.
    I doubt a single person blew it off.