RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: "Greased" VS no or light lubed 22lr??

Boolit Master

"Greased" VS no or light lubed 22lr??

With much of the ammo I'm able to find now I have varieties of problems that I normally don't have. I'm thinking that the lack of "lube" on a lot of the ammo is a cause. Has anyone considered lubing their 22rf bullets sorta like the old days when "greased" ammo was standard and I didn't have the current problems. Any suggestions on what kind of lube may be suitable. I'm just thinking some carnuba red or lo-tak would be just fine. Of course I'll just have a small pan with 1/4"+- of melted lube and use a 100 or 50 pak holder to do that many at a dip. Any insights or experience welcome.

10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

All .22 ammo you buy today is lubed - - with a wax that doesn't pick up dirt and ruin your barrel. Even copper-plated stuff like MiniMags have it.

Lots of people have tried supplementing the wax with LLA, hot dips in every form of wax/alox/vaseline/grease/oil known to man, and so far as I can find, none have reported any improvement. Including me, in my early attempts to make my half-dozen bricks of Remington Thunderbolt sow's ears into a silk purses. But it's easy to do, so try it and see.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    uscra112,
    I'm feelin ya. T-bolts are the one rf ammo I swore off of before and even now regret buying some in the current shortage. I remember the old "Canuck" ammo and never had any problem with that like current T-bolt problems. For me 22lr is a working round and used almost daily and the current ammo situation has been a pain. I have resorted to using 17hmr, it seems to be more available than lr, for ordinary tasks instead of just as a "varmit/fur hunting" round. Recently got some "auto match and CCI AR tactical" ammo and it just isn't functioning properly, what up with that?, like my standard stuff like Blazer, Lightning and Wildcat which I haven't seen for months. Have some precious Velocitors but they seem to have vanished from availability and I'll save what I have for hunting season.

10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I have supplemented lube on CCI blazer .22 ammo, as well as the fed auto-match. For me functioning wasn't a problem, leading when the gun got hot was.

I can't say anything about the accuracy improving, but I didn't have any *more* problems with the functionality of the ammo in the gun. I think I would say I saw an improvement in function, but didn't track it well enough to be able to say definitively.

As I said, for me the leading was the issue, and the added lube helped with that.

The AR tactical stuff seemed to me to be pretty greasy already, so I didn't bother with adding lube to that.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!