Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some garden help.

First of all , peas should be planted in a wide row system , keeps the soil much cooler , and retains moisture better ... plus the added benefit of more plants . The book "The Joy of Gardening " by Dick Raymond should be on every gardener's shelf ( he was the master gardener for troy built ) .
    God bless America

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    This is the backyard I have to work with. Not much room to do anything. The trees provide some awesome shade during the summer, but also limit the sunlight. The side yard to the left of the picture only has 2-3 hours of sunlight a day. It's 1130am when this pic was taken, so you can see how much sun the garden is getting. Sunshine usually hits about 7-8am and turns shady around 3-4pm.

Attachment 76727
    I'd be all over that.. We have red clay here, nothing but trees and weeds like to grow in it. I buy lumber and treat it with Eco treatment (minerals, no chemicals) to preserve it from bugs and rot, and build beds 16" high, 42" wide, some 8' some 12' and some 16' long. The tomatoes I built an enclosure with salt treated 2x2s and wildlife netting. It keeps the squirrels out and the ones that do try to bite their way through I have "re-educated" with the pellet rifle. They totally avoid our back yard now. For soil, we use a commercially made organic mulch/topsoil mix, and we buy organic composted horse manure for $20 a whole trailer load and mix it in the soil. Any vegetable matter will work good, you can fold in leaf mulch, garden trimmings, eggshells, coffee grounds, and any vegetable trimmings from the kitchen we compost and use it in the soil. We make sure there is worms in the soil and if the moles get too many of them we add fishing worms from the bait store.

This small box for hot peppers:

My garlic bed:

Blackberries in rt bed, red potatoes in left. Wildlife netting is a must have where squirrels and birds would not leave you one single berry to eat. 100% predation without it. These are new blackberries, they made good fruit this year but wait til next year, we will need a stepladder to reach the berries, and of course a much larger enclosed trellis:

Black raspberries enclosed:

One day's fruit out of this tiny little berry patch.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but to give some ideas as to what works for places with lousy soil and high predation from birds and squirrels. There are many ways to box garden, this is just what works for us, locate the beds by how much sunlight they will get, your sunny patch in front of the garage would likely do quite well.

I'd love to be able to turn the whole backyard into a garden but #1 I have two young kids that would be very upset and #2 we get so much snow up here I couldn't have a permanent setup like what you have.

When the neighbor plows for me to have a parking spot in the backyard for my Blazer, the snowbanks are 5-6 feet high and 12-15 feet deep. When I need to shovel off the garage roof, I just walk right up the snowbank to the roof. This pic was taken in late April of this "spring".
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Moderator Emeritus

No doubt, space management for snow is important to us northerners. but if you have good soil, you wouldn't need to make the raised beds. I plow all my snow onto the eastern half of my garden...by march, there can be 8 feet of snow piled up. But then you mention the kids...they need space too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

OK, I've got some pea pods on my pea plants. When do I harvest them? Do they have to be a certain length? Some are 2-3 inches long, but the plants aren't "covered" with them.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Moderator Emeritus

If they are edible pod "snap" Peas.
    I pick them when they the individual peas are about Half the size of what you think they'd be.
    Otherwise,
    regular Peas, I'd pick them when the individual peas just become full size, be sure to Shuck them right away and refrigerate...Or Process them...or cook them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=freakshow10mm;2314702]OK, I've got some pea pods on my pea plants. When do I harvest them? Do they have to be a certain length? Some are 2-3 inches long, but the plants aren't "covered" with them.[/QOTE]

When they feel full. You should be able to feel each pea in a row, average is 6-7 peas in each pod. When they feel pregnant, snap the pod off the vine, then snap the stem backwards toward the tip This allows the pod to be opened by squeezing the pod across the back to the bottom, it should pop open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOV1BFPq34w

This gal starts at the other end, it's been several decades since I shucked peas, maybe that's how I did it too.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

when they are the size of a robins eye ... eat the first ones fresh out of the garden .
    God bless America

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If they are edible pod "snap" Peas.
    I pick them when they the individual peas are about Half the size of what you think they'd be.
    Otherwise,
    regular Peas, I'd pick them when the individual peas just become full size, be sure to Shuck them right away and refrigerate...Or Process them...or cook them.
    The seed package said "sugar snap peas". That's all I know.

I'll have to head out there tomorrow and check things out.

Live generously.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    The seed package said "sugar snap peas". That's all I know.

I'll have to head out there tomorrow and check things out.
    That's all you need to know, that's my favorite variety.
    you can eat them as tiny as you can find them.
    and they are delicious til the individual peas reach that "half-size" I talk about. Afterwhich, the pods start to get tough and stringy. and if you let them grow to full size (by accident or by choice), you can just shuck them like standard Peas. BUT, what I've noticed is that Snap peas that grow to FULL size are never as sweet as standard peas grown to full size...I suspect they were bred to share some sweetness with the pod.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

concrete reinforcement wire, vertical. When the peas are done you can burn or pull the vines off. String works good too, you can cut the vines at ground, roll up & toss the whole works out. I did bush beans cause the weather down here won't let peas set fruit. I cut back my tomatoes in hot weather and got a good fall crop, if I could keep them darned horny worms off.
    Whatever!