Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody load cast 9MM with HS-6?

Thank you. Waiting for my next day off to try loads with both cast and J-word bullets as well. When the well is dry you use what you can find!

Boolit Bub
    Just found this thread.
    I loaded some 125 grain (hunters supply, .356 diameter) according to Lee’s data for HS-6=5.9 to 6.6 gn MAX.
    Data:
    Hunter supply 125 grain LRN
    Powder HS-6, Load weight 6.4 to 6.5 grains (checked every 10 rounds after a stable throw is established).
    Brass .FC.
    CCI SP primers
    Dillon press & dies.
    CZ75 BD
    COAL based on the plunk test (the COAL was not off at all from what lee said it should be 1.125”).
    Dillon dies (testing was using lee dies) would that make this much difference?

Loaded it to 6.4 gn on my Dillon, it shot well enough, (never had good results from hunters supply).
    Nominal leading, hunter supply leads pretty bad at lower charge weights.

Broke out the labradar and to my surprise the velocity was way up there, on the order of 1220fps, (LEE has it closer to 1124fps for max so my load should have been less).
    ES & SD was below 10, I’ll look at the saved file and get the recorded numbers if anyone is interested.

I knew this would be at the top end, but this has me concerned that it is too hot, like beyond +p+.

I stopped shooting this load when I saw the high velocity however, I had already fired several prior to getting the labradar. Over a hundred.

When I looked at the brass it looked like other +p factory loads after being fired, hence my willingness to fire that many rounds. Factory loads like Underwood & Speer, +p but should not be dangerous for a modern fire arm rated for +p ammo.

Did I just get very, VERY lucky or am I being paranoid?
    The reason for this load was to match my defense ammo in POI & recoil.

I have plans on pulling the remaining rounds & salvaging what I can but have not gotten to it yet.

HS-6 performs best at the high end of the load data. It gets dirty at the lower powder charge weights. I think the CZ can easily handle it. If it shoots well, I would just keep shooting them, unless you are running a light set of springs.

Boolit Master
    I use that Lee 125 rn boolit over 6 grains and get about 1100 fps.

Boolit Bub
    What OAL are you using?
    Mine were 1.13 on average none were shorter than the load data from lee (1.125).
    1100 FPS is where I thought this load should have been.
    Could the tight tolerances of the CZ be contributing to the high velocity?
    If so what other model pistol would be a good candidate for testing, or should I just call this a loss and try to salvage what I can?

Regarding the pistols it is a stock 75BD with less than 1000 rounds.
    So it is still fairly new with the factory tolerances.

Boolit Master

I have shot thousands of 9mm with 6 grains HS-6 and 155gr 38 super bullet. In my Mac 10-9 with the suppressor on. It is Hollywood quiet, bolt noise and thump at the backstop.

Boolit Master
    yup , 5.8-6 grains hs6 ive used with two Lyman dies and the mp 359-125hp, using clip on wheel weight with a bit of tin added, lubesized with carnauba red at .356 in g22 with storm lake 9mm barrel

A bit off topic, but in 158gr 357 magnum, I really like HS6

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Hs-6 works well in the 9mm luger with my 125 gr lead bullet. Wspm . Using Speer starting loads. https://www.speer.com/reloading/handgun-data.html

9mm Luger is NOT low pressure @ 35,000 PSI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12