RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody load cast 9MM with HS-6?

Boolit Master

Does anybody load cast 9MM with HS-6?

With today's shortages I have to get by with what I have on hand. I have nearly 2lbs of HS-6 and I'm desperately low on 9MM. Has anybody used HS-6 in 9MM? If yes I'd appreciate you sharing your results and data if you recorded it. Any suggestions, advice, experience or even educated speculation using HS-6 with cast 9MM will be appreciated. For years I've only used Bullseye with 9MM cast, jacketed and plated with good results both on paper and reliability in various 9MM pistols. About a month or so ago I shot up apx 100 9's I loaded with Herco using 1970's data. Results were mixed but over all the shot to shot accuracy declined slightly, more felt recoil along with an uncomfortable indoor range muzzle flash. The pistols all functioned properly except my always stubborn Argie Hi-Power. I only have somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 lb of BE left and want to save it for 45ACP and 380.

I will be loading Lee 358-125 RNF sized 356 or 357 and the RCBS 135 RN gas check. A good portion of the RCBS cast, apx 250 will be shot without a gas check coated with Lee Mule Snot and dusted with Motor Mica. Previous experience has shown me the gas checked 9MM conventionally sized and lubed don't shoot any better than the barefoot castings. My 9MM cast pistol bullets are usually a 50/50 mix of clip-on and stick-on wheel weights. I may have used scrap of unknown purity instead of the stickys. I usually don't add tin unless I'm having problems getting a good flow and fill. The 9MM cast bullets I have on hand. I cast apx 3-4 years ago, don't recall the mix but they passed my recent fingernail test as not being to soft.

Boolit Master
    I have had very limited experience with Win. 540 / HS-6 and bullets cast from the 125 grain Lee RN mould. 5.5 grains had a MV of 935 fps and was just enough to work the action of a Beretta, according to some old notes. I used Win. brass and CCI-500 primers. Accuracy was good. If I used this powder again with the same bullet, I would probably start at about 5.8 grs. According to the newest Hodgdon data, they used a 125 grain LCN (lead conical nose - had to look that one up) seated to an OAL of 1.125", Win. brass, CCI-500 primers. Max. load is 6.6 grs, MV = 1124. The Lee manual (not the best source for data in my opinion as the actual bullet is seldom listed, only the weight) shows a max. load of 5.7 grains Win. 540 with a 124 grain cast bullet, MV = 1050. Look at some published data & find a jacketed bullet of similar weight and length as your bullet, and start with the suggested minimum load.

Boolit Master

Ive used HS6 in the 9mm & 38 super with 125 gr & 145gr cast bullets with excellent results !
    Power Pistol and WSF also work well. IMO i would not use anything softer than straight WW alloy for the 9 or super unless you water drop your bullets from the mould , as far as sizing i size my bullets @.357 dia after trying .356 dia even if the barrel mikes at .355 dia as thats the size that gave me the best accuracy in my pistols.

Boolit Buddy
    HS-6 works well for me in 9mm with cast. I shoot it with 135 gr. boolits from Carolina Cast Bullets in my Sig 938.

Boolit Bub

6.0 gr hs6 behind a 124 gr lead bullet is all I've used for years in all my 9's

120gr Cast LTC's over 5.4gr HS-6 w/ CCI SPP work Great in my TZ-75 9mm.
    It Seems to Me that A Lever Gun in a Large Caliber Will Be Very Handy when the Fecal Matter Hits the Rotary Air Moving Device.

Boolit Master
    Am using 3.4 gr of PB behind the Lee 125-2r bullets.. they come out to 128 gr with my alloy.. Lubed with Carnauba red they work fine.

Boolit Mold
    i use 6.0 gr of hs6behind a 125 gr. lead boolit.
    justcharlie

Boolit Buddy
    With Lyman 356634 137 grain TC in 9mm my most accurate load has been 4.9 - 5.1 gr HS6/W540 (depending on lot) C.O.L. 1.05" at about 840 fps.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Mold
    I load it with a 125 gr lee 5.7 gr and it shoots great hope this helps DD

Boolit Bub
    Did a test group today with HS 6. Bullets colarodo cast 9mm 125 g and colarodo cast 38 bullet 125 gr. all brash was FC with mag primers
    started
    5. 5.4g of HS-6 9mm 125g spread was a tad wide for me. Speed average 825fps
    5. 5.4 g of HS -6 38. 125g. Spread tighter. Speed. Average 975fps
    5. 5.8 g of HS-6 9mm 125g. Vertacal group Speed average. 1130 FPS
    5. 5.8 g of HS -6 38. 125g. Big group of about 5". Average speeds 1155fps
    5. 6.2 g hs6 9mm 125g. Vertical group. Average speed. 1170fps
    5. 6.2 g. Hs6. 38 125 g Tighter group. Average speed. 1240fps
    5. 6.8 g. Hs_6 9mm 125g Vert group with 1 flyer. Ave sd. 1230 fps
    5. 6.8 g. Hs6. 38 125g. Real tight group (best). Average sd 1256fps

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried HS-6 with cast yet but love it with the copper coated bullets. I've found that HS-6 likes to be run at the upper end of the recommended loads. Since seeing this I researched it further and found out that it likes higher pressure to burn cleaner and be more accurate which pretty much matched my direct experience. My normal plinking load is with 700-x which works real nice and is very economical as long as you are aware of how to get it to meter consistently but when I want more oomph I go with the HS-6.

Boolit Master

THANKS!! gentleman for the comments and advice. A special thx to Misskimo for providing the data and results. Illness and now triple digit heat keeps me from casting. I'll begin again about mid Sept or when evening temps drop below 90. Don't want any sweat beads sending an invitation to the infamous Tinsel Fairy!! I'm looking forward to casting and loading 9MM using the special run from NOE of the Ranch Dog 9MM.

Boolit Master

lotech, if you're still following this thread I noticed you mentioned Win 540 and HS-6. I've heard and read in numerous places the two powders are the same. For years I had a pet load using Win 540 in heavy 1 1/4 ounce 12 ga shotshells. When I subbed HS-6 I got every indication the loads were to hot. Back to using the small amount of 10+ year old Win 540 and no problems. I do not recall the specific load but used the same bushing I used 540. Have you noticed any difference using HS-6 instead of Win 540??

What is funny is I am in the same predicament the original poster was 8 years ago - HS-6 was all I could find in the massive shortages we have now, (man, we thought it was bad back then!), and I am using a powder coated 124gr Lee boolit. I will load a short ladder of 5.8, 6.0, and 6.2. Thanks t the people who provided this data so long ago, to be used again today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    What is funny is I am in the same predicament the original poster was 8 years ago - HS-6 was all I could find in the massive shortages we have now, (man, we thought it was bad back then!), and I am using a powder coated 124gr Lee boolit. I will load a short ladder of 5.8, 6.0, and 6.2. Thanks t the people who provided this data so long ago, to be used again today.
    With any of my 9mm guns I had to keep HS6 at the top end and it works really well. 6.5 grns with a 124 was as high as I went. Anything under 6 grains not so good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    With any of my 9mm guns I had to keep HS6 at the top end and it works really well. 6.5 grns with a 124 was as high as I went. Anything under 6 grains not so good.
    Strange seeing this thread again. I just don’t recall the numbers but I did follow somebody’s advice and the hand loads were successful in various 9MM pistols.

Found it doing an internet search for cast loads with HS-6, actually. Thanks for the help.

From my notes. As you can see, the 9mm will come to life with a slower powder and longer barrel.

Sig 226
    135grain hard cast Coated Bayou Bullet/ 6.6 grains HS-6/CCI Magnum Pistol/61degrees/ average 1132fps/SD=10, 5shots

Colt AR 16inch
    135grain hard cast Coated Bayou Bullet/ 6.6 grains HS-6/CCI Magnum Pistol/43degrees/ average 1390fps/SD=30, 5shots ….. too much wear and tear for the blow back action, barrel twist rate 1/10 is too fast, bullet looses accuracy at this velocity, IPSC power factor 187.

Boolit Master

5.6 and the mp275 (133gr),is extremely accurate in my 210.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast