Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Star vs. Magma Star

Star vs. Magma Star

Anybody have any opinions on whether there is a difference quality-wise between the original Star and the ones being made by Magma? I don't remember the originals pushing the bullets down nose first as Magma states on their web site, but it's been forty years since I ran one.
    Due to the lead shortage, the supply of commercial 160gr. .45 bullets I use for cowboy action has dried up, and the short bullets are tough to get out of my Lyman 450 sizer. I've got my old #45 sizer put up somewhere, and it might be better without that nut holding in the die, but I haven't tried it yet.
    I'm waiting for a Lee six cavity mold, and If I'm not satisfied with using liquid ALOX, I may have to go to a Star or Phelps sizer.
    Morgan

The quality is pretty much the same. They always had the capability of straight through but it wasn't until the late 50s that this idea began to take root. One of the big Calif dealers, Paul Jones, takes credit for popularizing nose first sizing IIRC. Any way, if you are going to use Lee lube, why not just use a Lee sizing die. It's straight through and a lot cheaper.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

RJ, If I'm going to use Lee lube, I probably won't size. I never size my schuetzen bullets, which I either pan lube or lube in my Pope style luber. Just use too many of these .45 cowboy bullets with my son and I shooting three matches a month, to lube this way. I've never used Lee lube, and only considered it due to the short 160gr. .45 bullets being so difficult to pull out of my Lyman sizer. If it turns out to be too messy, I'll go with the Star sizer. Just checking out my options. Thanks for the response.
    Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

Rooster Jacket is a lot cleaner than the LLA and works just fine on my mass produced ICORE and USPSA boolits. Even a Star is going to take a lot more time than tumble lubing unsized.

Is this the same company that makes the Rooster Zambini I'm using now in my heated 450? I'll check their web site. Thanks,
    Morgan
    Last edited by Morgan Astorbilt; 10-06-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

Same company. Best price I've found unless you want to buy bulk direct from Rooster Labs:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...916&t=11082005