RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paper patched GEW 88??

Boolit Buddy
    You can hydrologic a stuck case out if you fill the barrel with oil to about one third then use a dowel rod wrapped to just going down barrel by hand pressure,then tapping with a hammer till everything comes out. Add oil as needed as it will come out the top too. I wrap a rag there to prevent straight up squirt. 's
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Master

Hydraulic!!!!! Now why didn't I think of that??!? Grief! Such a simple answer! Jeez! I hate getting old. That answer was in a different compartment. Too much compartmentalized stuff. The oil would have spoiled the powder and primer, but it would have saved the case. I'm gonna try and make a small screw extractor to try and save those two cases. Nothing beats a try like a failure! On a different note, I'm still trying to figure out why my boolits are tumbling. I was shooting 3 different types of boolits, so, I guess I need to separate them, and check each type. I'd like to go shooting tomorrow (and scavenge more cases), but don't know if I can. Time constraints. Need to try, though. I am going to make up some GC boolits for my Argentine, and try them out. I need a couple of sizers for the guns to get the right diameter when wrapped. Interesting stuff. CHEERS!!!

Boolit Buddy
    The tumbling is usually a hang at the muzzle,or to short a barrel per velocity. It's a wonder your hitting the target?

Jules

Boolit Master

I was talking to another shooter yesterday, and he suggested that I raise the velocity a bit. He said I might not be pushing the boolit fast enough to get it to stabilize. So, will try that. He also suggested that the boolit is coming out of the barrel, and going more or less in a straight line, but tumbling. What ever the case, will try again tomorrow to see if I get a different answer. Will be shooting 3 seperate boolits, with the same load, out of the same barrel. Maybe that will give me an answer if there is a difference in the boolits. Got a new powder, for me, at least. W-W 760. When I got home, there is nothing in any of my load manuals for the 8mm, except for one load for a 200gr slug in Richard Lee's manual. Guess I'll have to revert to 4895 until I get some info on this 760. According to 'Propellant Properties', it is used to match the GI load in the 30-06. Figured it would be good for the 8mm, but, no data. I'll find a use for it, just not this evening. Shooting Tomorrow!!!! Fun!!!

Boolit Master

Went shooting today. No progress, except, I found the use of shooting sticks greatly aided my aiming. I am giving up on the Steyr - 1894 as a shooter. The barrel is so washed out that I can't get it to hit paper at 100yds. I can get it on paper at 50yds, but, it is a 6 - 8 in group. The Paper Patched boolits I have shot through it did help smooth out the barrel a great deal. While the bore is still rough, the rifling is now visible all the way to the muzzle. However, the last 6 in of that 29in barrel is so faint that you can barely see it. The Spandau- 1890 model, has good rifling. Using the shooting sticks, I put a round in a 4in bull at 75yds. It was tumbling. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The bore measures .311, the grooves - .319. The throat measures .326. (This is a 'S' mod gun.) I was using boolits sized to .311, and wrapped in 16lb legal paper (25% rag) which brings the diameter to .326. So, the boolit is bore diameter, and the wrapping fills the throat. The load today was an R-P 8mm case, CCI LRP, 41grs of 4895, which should give a MV of 2300fps. That should be fast enough to make it spin. (a note: One primer failed, and when I extracted the cartridge, the boolit stayed in the bore. I was able to knock it out with my aluminum cleaning rod. The paper jacket was intact. So, since it stuck in the bore, It is apparently filling the throat properly. After I got the boolit out, I tried to see if it would go back into the case, it did. I apparently failed to run it through the collet sizer to tighten it properly.) I also took my '09 Argentine with me, and fired MilSurp through it. It was on target every time. Made me feel good to actually hit various targets. It's discouraging to not hit anything when you have tried to do everything right. If anyone see anything I've missed, Please, let me know. This is aggravating. mikey
    Last edited by mikeym1a; 09-30-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    I found some old loads for #760 powder from Speer. They use #250 magnum *primers. This is a 200 grain J-boolit load!
    *52.0------2392
    *50.0------2287
    *48.0------2171

Jules

Boolit Master

I do have some 760, and managed to find one reference for it in 8mm, for a 200gr, i think, and it uses the magnum primer. I have a few of those. I'm out of LRP's however. I haven't been to the range this week, and probably won't get there until next week. I'm gonna try and modify my front sight on the '88 to make it higher. I started sizing my patched boolits and they seemed to go straighter, but was still shooting over the target. SO, if I make the front sight higher, it won't shoot so high. Also, I'll take a 4X8 sheet of cheap particle board to use as a target, and see where the round are going. As nice as the bore is, it should shoot straight. That new south American action that I got has a really nice bore, but I've gotta lap out a sizer so I can size the wrapped boolits. And in the meantime, I seem to have a water leak just outside the house. So, gotta dig that up, and replace whatever is leaking in this 60 year old water line. Oh! The joys of owning a home!!!

Boolit Buddy
    You can also use cheap paneling. Abandoned trailer houses are full of target board material! 's

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Hi gents,
    i`am new to this Forum

i was reading here for some times ago and decide to sign in to share and ask for different topics

i was able to bought a Commision Rifle 1888 Amberg 1891 in a good condition.
    Now i ve been looking for a Cast Boolit Load.
    Slug the Bore with a result of 316/318 dia.
    The Rifle has the S Stamp and have had seen some service in Turkey.
    first try with a Lyman 311460 Loverin Design patched up to .325/6 and a charge of 7 grs HP 38 and BE are promised a good start on 50m
    After this first trial i order a Lee 324 / 175 Mould and load them as cast with lubed with Lee Alox .
    as third i try some PP Bullets from cast from a custom Mould also patched to 325/6. Load are the same as above.
    On 50m all loads are good not a hole in hole result but ok.
    With the 7 grs BE Load i do a trial on 100m.

Next Step on 100m
    I load 8 grs BE / also 11 grs of Lovex D036 / Accurate 5 and / 18 grs of Lovex D060 / Accurate 5744.

but the groups ob Bullet Impact open up over the complete Target.
    Bulletholes are a clean round hole no flyers.

Now i was looking for some explanation if the patched Diamenter 325/6 are to large and 321/2 would be the better choise perhaps?

sorry for my humble english

thx and regards for some info

Klaus

Boolit Master

Haven't been to the range since last fall. Long winter, bad weather, poor health. I finally got the right sizers for my boolits, chamber cast showed me what size to patch the boolit to, and am anxious to go shoot again. BUT, every time I get ready to go, the weather turns bad and keeps me home. Also, I got another barreled action, an 88 apparently from S. America. No arsenal marking. Apparently a czech replacment barrel in .308/.318, and in very good condition. It's almost ready to go to the range as well! It should be no problem to make shoot straight. Plus, I got a Chilean Mauser that had been rebarreled to .308, in right good condition. I've got lots of shooting to do, if I can just get to the range! Wish me luck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Hi gents,
    i`am new to this Forum

i was reading here for some times ago and decide to sign in to share and ask for different topics

i was able to bought a Commision Rifle 1888 Amberg 1891 in a good condition.
    Now i ve been looking for a Cast Boolit Load.
    Slug the Bore with a result of 316/318 dia.
    The Rifle has the S Stamp and have had seen some service in Turkey.
    first try with a Lyman 311460 Loverin Design patched up to .325/6 and a charge of 7 grs HP 38 and BE are promised a good start on 50m
    After this first trial i order a Lee 324 / 175 Mould and load them as cast with lubed with Lee Alox .
    as third i try some PP Bullets from cast from a custom Mould also patched to 325/6. Load are the same as above.
    On 50m all loads are good not a hole in hole result but ok.
    With the 7 grs BE Load i do a trial on 100m.

Next Step on 100m
    I load 8 grs BE / also 11 grs of Lovex D036 / Accurate 5 and / 18 grs of Lovex D060 / Accurate 5744.

but the groups ob Bullet Impact open up over the complete Target.
    Bulletholes are a clean round hole no flyers.

Now i was looking for some explanation if the patched Diamenter 325/6 are to large and 321/2 would be the better choise perhaps?

sorry for my humble english

thx and regards for some info

Klaus
    My first Mod 88 is also 'S' marked, and the chamber is .326. From what I have read, you are supposed to fill the throat, so, .326 is appropriate. My barrel measures .311/.318, so, I size the slug to .312/.313 and then wrap. After the wrap is dry, I roll in lube, and put through an appropriate .323 sizer. The paper is springy, and I end up with .324 boolits. I open the case mouth so that I can just finger seat the boolit, and then use a collet die to tighten the mouth. But, as yet, I have not been able to get to the range to test this. I hope this gives some help. mikey

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345