RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Alloy expansion.

Question Alloy expansion.

Team.

Should I expect any degree of expansion from a 220gr .314 calibre bullet, alloy BHN 9.5-10 exiting at 1500fps, on the likes of deer? Range in the bush likely no more than 50 yards.

Obviously bone strike will have a major postive effect.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Nose shape will contribute to expansion some. Flat noses SEEM to give better terminal effects than round noses or pointed bullets.

Boolit Master

Expect nothing...Test EVERYTHING.
    An easy way to find out what that boolit will do is to set up a couple of water soaked phone books with a gallon jug of water sandwiched in between them. Bind them all together with duct tape, and shoot into them.
    I try to use thin(less than 6") phone books. You can also include a piece of 1/2"plywood on the back side of the rear phone book if you want to simulate hitting the offside shoulder upon exiting.(My preferred shot)
    I've seen VERY similar results between this test medium and performance on live animals.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Jeff,
    It sounds real good to me (probly will expand). Other guys here say air cooled wheelweights will expand. At the close distance, they should still be traveling fast enough to expand still.

If you have time, do as Dan suggested and test them. Wet phone books, wet newspapers, wet sawdust or shavinge are some suggestions. Plastic gallon milk jugs full of water have been known to expand, but don't generally have enough resistance.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    A very general rule I use is,
    impact velocity = BHN x 100 for expansion to begin.
    The higher the impack velocity is over the BHN x 100 the greater the degree of expansion.
    BIC/BS