Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which casting furnace do you like the best?

Boolit Buddy

which casting furnace do you like the best?

I am thinking of getting a new casting furnace. Which one do you guys use and like the best?

RCBS Pro Mag

Lyman Mag 25

The lyman looks as it may have a P.I.D built in and from what I can find it is quiet a bit cheaper.

Just asking some opinions
    Last edited by 3jimbo3; 07-05-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master

Lyman Mag 25 is new and has some nice features. It seems to be ready to handle a long session.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master

Just bought a Pro-Mag after a succession of Lee pots. D you know the difference between the feel of a Lee Mold and an RCBS or Lyman mold? It's like that.

At the end of the day, though, it just melts lead.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    This comes up about once a month or so! The best NON-commercial pot for the money and no need to add a PID control but ready out of the box,is the RCBS Pro Melt!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I have the RCBS Pro Melt and the LEE Melter Furnace. I tend to use my LEE pot more, as I prefer the RCBS Lead Dipper for casting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...adles+switched
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never used a Lyman pot, but I agree with what Dale and seagiant said.

Robert

Banned

i have lee and would like to buy a RCBS PM.

Banned

both good pots. I had two lymans i lost in the fire and replaced them with two rcbs pots. I think the lymans are just as good but went rcbs because there warantee dept. is hands down better then lymans.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    both good pots. I had two lymans i lost in the fire and replaced them with two rcbs pots. I think the lymans are just as good but went rcbs because there warantee dept. is hands down better then lymans.
    Hi,
    My experience also! The only Lyman equipment I have left is some 1lb. ingot molds!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    I also have a Pro-Melt but it looks a little different for some reason !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

If I was going to spend the money it would be for a Magma Masterpot. I know it's a lot more money. But if I'm upgrading from my Lee I'm going all out. Otherwise I can buy a whole bunch of Lees for the price of the RCBS/Lyman pots.

Boolit Buddy

GLL, that one don't bottom pour does it? I'm on my phone right now and can't see the picture too well. Its a very nice furnace though from what I can tell.

Boolit Master
    jimbo:

It is a "pre-RCBS" Pro-Melt ladle pot. Pretty much identical to the newer RCBS model but no bottom pour. It is a great pot to go along with those I have from Waage.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

bhn22
    I'll be the lone dissenter here. I have a 20 yr old Mag 20, and would buy another one if I ever needed it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    jimbo:

It is a "pre-RCBS" Pro-Melt ladle pot. Pretty much identical to the newer RCBS model but no bottom pour. It is a great pot to go along with those I have from Waage.

Jerry
    Hi,
    Yes! RCBS does have a habit of buying out companys with an excellent product!!!

Banned

im not bashing lyman pots. I actually liked mine right up till the time they needed work. Had the heating element go bad and they wouldnt send me the parts. Said it was a liability problem to let someone other then them fix it. they charged me a 110 bucks to fix a pot i paid 175 bucks for.Id like to subcontract for them putting in heating coils for a 100 bucks a crack. About a 15 minute job and probably a 5 dollar part for them. the pots i had though were good casting pots. Probably as good as the rcbs pots. Cheaper to boot, but i just have been soured on lyman to many times to buy anything from them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    I'll be the lone dissenter here. I have a 20 yr old Mag 20, and would buy another one if I ever needed it.

My RCBS is still getting hot after about 15 years (sat in the garage for the last three). Looks a bit rough on the outside, though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    im not bashing lyman pots. I actually liked mine right up till the time they needed work. Had the heating element go bad and they wouldnt send me the parts. Said it was a liability problem to let someone other then them fix it. they charged me a 110 bucks to fix a pot i paid 175 bucks for.Id like to subcontract for them putting in heating coils for a 100 bucks a crack. About a 15 minute job and probably a 5 dollar part for them. the pots i had though were good casting pots. Probably as good as the rcbs pots. Cheaper to boot, but i just have been soured on lyman to many times to buy anything from them again.
    Lloyd I'm going to bash them somewhat. I started buying Lyman products in 1969 when I got home from the service. Press, dies, ect which expanded into molds, lubesizer, a lot of accessories, which then turned into a whole bunch of their stuff. I'm from the old school and don't expect anything for free especially after it has given me good service. The Mag 20 is what has made my blood boil. I need a few nickle and dime parts which they will not sell, the parts they will sell are for their latest pots and are a mis match for the Mag 20 of 20-30 years ago. If they are not correct why sell them at all, their email response to me was I might have to try to find something that will work after an email about the mis match. Where's their concern for liability with that one? I have some Lee pots also, Lee provides most replacement parts for a very reasonable cost. Lee gives us folks in the field the credit to repair their products with replacement parts, at a very reasonable cost I might add. Thank you to the Lee family for your support to the folks using your products ( Nov 1963 for me). Lyman your company needs a shake up at the top.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Lloyd I'm going to bash them somewhat. I started buying Lyman products in 1969 when I got home from the service. Press, dies, ect which expanded into molds, lubesizer, a lot of accessories, which then turned into a whole bunch of their stuff. I'm from the old school and don't expect anything for free especially after it has given me good service. The Mag 20 is what has made my blood boil. I need a few nickle and dime parts which they will not sell, the parts they will sell are for their latest pots and are a mis match for the Mag 20 of 20-30 years ago. If they are not correct why sell them at all, their email response to me was I might have to try to find something that will work after an email about the mis match. Where's their concern for liability with that one? I have some Lee pots also, Lee provides most replacement parts for a very reasonable cost. Lee gives us folks in the field the credit to repair their products with replacement parts, at a very reasonable cost I might add. Thank you to the Lee family for your support to the folks using your products ( Nov 1963 for me). Lyman your company needs a shake up at the top.
    Hi,
    They jerked me around like Lloyd and I sold everything Lyman including molds years ago and just about refuse to buy anything from them ever again. To many people out there with better products AND customer service!!!

Boolit Buddy

RCBS has been my favorite for many years. I don't have any of their casting equipment but all my reloading stuff is RCBS. With the exception of my trimmer, it's a Lyman but I am looking for one to match my other stuff. Now my dies are a mixed bag from RCBS and Lee.