Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Debate

Boolit Buddy

Debate

Which should I buy next -- chronograph or micrometer?

Already have calipers. Despite this, leaning towards micrometer -- less $.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one caliper and two mikes. I can't tell you the last time I reached for the mike because I can measure everything with the caliper. That being said, If I were in your position, I'd aim for the chrony.

In Remebrance

You can get a perfectly servicable mic for $10-15.00 from any of the dealers in chinwanese tools. Ebay has loads of them, MSC, ENCO any of the big supply houses have them. The Chrony is fun but I use my measuring instruments a heck of a lot more than I use my Chrony, which is still on it's first set of batteries after 3 years.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    I suppose it depends on what you want to measure the most. Velocities or boolits/brass etc. You already have the calipers for measuring.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on weather you are focusing on developing loads and need velocity information or designing bullets and fitting to bore/throat. If you are loading middle of the road loads and don't need velocity figures, don't buy the Chrono - it's a nice toy but not necessary. If you need velocities to figure long range trajectories or to know safe limits buy a Chrono, it's necessary.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I use my calipers almost every day. My Chrony F-1 was used once in three years. guess I should take it out again sometime...

In Remembrance
    If you want to know the diameter of a bullet, go for the micrometer. If you want to know how fast it's flying...well...
    a micrometer would need quick hands and a hell of a stopwatch.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I use my Chrony more than my micrometer, but I wouldn't want to do without either.
    I use my calipers more than the mic. but if I had to decide on which one first....hmmmmm. the Chrony is more usefull to me. If I only had one gun or one caliber i'd probably say the mic. but I have over 50 guns and i'm always trying to work up the perfect load. actually just for shooting IPSC alone I'm always using the Chrony. gotta keep those bullets just at major power for faster less recoil shootin'! ok....Chrony wins!
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Master

I've made it through 30+ years of reloading and shooting without a chrony. I doubt I could do with out my mikes or calipers. Probably would be nice to have actual velocity data to mull over from time to time, but it is less essential to me in my BPCR state of mind.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter View Post
    I've made it through 30+ years of reloading and shooting without a chrony.
    Me too...
    Probably would be nice to have actual velocity data to mull over from time to time, but it is less essential to me in my BPCR state of mind.
    It was because of getting into BPCR that I decided I wanted a chronograph...not so much to know 'how fast', but more to know 'how consistent'.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

If I had to chose between buying a Chrony and a micrometer, I would buy the micrometer.

I loaded for almost fourty years without a chrony. Even now, I have not set it up in almost eight years. All that counts how well the bullets play follow the leader to the target. You can swag the velocity from printed sources.

I have four Starett micrometers and one 6" Starett caliper. If I could only have one it would be the micrometer. When I want an exact measurment, I want it exact and not kinda, sorta.

IMHO after basic tool needed to reload the round, the next tool to buy is a good micrometer. Mine are in almost continual use.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    You can swag the velocity from printed sources.
    It's interesting to see how widely average velocities often differ from the printed sources' stated velocities for the same loads, and also how widely they vary from shot to shot. Doesn't necessarily correlate with accuracy over short ranges up to 200 yards or so, but probably does in long range shooting. Wish I had a long range to shoot on.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

On Heaven's Range

Ive been using a chronograph of one type or another for over 35 years. I'd as soon go to the range without my pants, as without my chronograph.

After all my years of handloading, I finally bought a micrometer (RCBS digital) about two years back. It sees very little use, compared to my digital caliber from Mitutoyo.

Obviously, we have widely divergent assessments of the usefulness of various instruments. For my part, the chrono is a fascinating device which offers insight into the actual performance of my ammunition. Without the chrono, we are much deeper in the dark than necessary. Need I say it? GET THE CHRONOGRAPH!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    No offense intended, but I think if you ask that question it is unlikely you would realise much benefit from a micrometer at this point. You will get a lot more useful info from a chronograph.

I have an excellant Brown & Sharp micrometer, it reads to tenths, and several calipers, a German vernier type, a couple of Harbor Freight Chinese dial types and a cheap HF digital too. My calibration blocks show exactly the same reading from all of them, at least at .330" and 1". Maybe 90% of my work is done with a dial caliper, 9.9% with the digital and maybe .1% with the mike.

If I were a serious BR type those use percentages would surely change but all of my rifles are factory and measurements to .001 are plenty accurate enough for them.

Get a chronograph first and get a micrometer later. If ever.

Boolit Grand Master

A cheap mic along with cal does a lot of good as a start, but someplace down the road ought to save enough sheckels to get a chrono. Ya just can't have to many toys. A good friend of mine says something along the line of "My goal is to pass on to my offsprings all of my rifles with shot out barrels". Seems like a decent goal to me.
    1Shirt!

Banned

You can pick up high quality AMERICAN made mics in hawk shops cheap sometimes.

In Remebrance

I may be in the minority, but I do a lot of other stuff besides shooting so the mic is essential for me. I have at least 4- 1" mikes and a set going up to 6" for engine work. A caliper is essential too, I have at least 4- 6" and 1- 4". Put them on a standard and you will find some measure different than the others. Sometimes you can adjust for that.

If you can get a $10.00 1" mic that comes with a standard off Ebay or a pawn shop you'll be fine. Then you can save up for the bottom of the line Chrony. The upper level one do nothing a pencil and pad of paper won't do. If nothing else the Chrony is a great "LIE DETECTOR". Your buddy with the 300 Superwhizbangtacticalmagnum might be a bit disappointed to learn his 180's aren't really doing 3800fps, only 2900. Same for the latest 9mm Tacticalmallninja +p+++ special load that's supposed to spit a 124 out at warp speed that really only gains 35 fps over the standard stuff. Kind of nice to have that info. Essential? No.

Boolit Buddy
    Just buy both, you can never have enough info or info sources.
    Stay safe
    Calvin