Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: loading HM˛ 223 AR mold 225-62-1

Anyone using Ramshot Tac for .223 and cast boolits?

My local shop has an 8lb jug of TAC for $130 and am thinking of getting it. Don't have my mold yet.

Hodgdon and Lapua/Viht burn charts show it as very close to H4895. Others disagree, but I go with the Hodgdon chart since they make the stuff. It's a spherical powder. If you trickle or use a dispenser, it bounces and rolls all over the place. If you use a powder measure, it meters great. When I tried it, it seemed to perform about the same as all others that are similar, H335, A2230' N135, etc., etc. It went bang and all that.

I would actually prefer a spherical/ball powder vs stick because I plan to use a measure but really it is not a big deal.

I got a lb of each Varget and TAC which I will try. The 3 shops I looked did not have any CFE223 as I wanted to try that as well. TAC works well for jacketed .223 so I figure if it works well for cast I could buy the big jug of TAC, save some $$$, keep the # of different powders to a minimum and just keep a good stock on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Anyone using Ramshot Tac for .223 and cast boolits?

My local shop has an 8lb jug of TAC for $130 and am thinking of getting it. Don't have my mold yet.
    DKF,
    Where is this shop located ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    DKF,
    Where is this shop located ??
    It is in PA

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone loading these over unique?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mookiie View Post
    Anyone loading these over unique?
    next powder to test
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys, Do any of you have say 100 of these boolits you might sel or trade? I would like to try a few loads with these before i where to buy the mold, I was still up in air with this mild and trying for the milic that's running in GB now,
    Pls PM me if you can / will part with a 100 or so posb. sized & Lubed,,

TIA
    Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Grandpa243??? Can you help him out with this one?? I only have alox to lube with right now, and i am having an issue with my sizer in 225. There is a burr in it that is dragging on the gas check that i havent had a chance to fix yet....

AlaskenGuy,
    What do yours drop at? ie "as cast" might try seating the GC by hand and either pan lubing or melting your lube in a small container like a metal 1/4 cup measuring cup, and hand dipping till you get your H&I die fixed
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Yea... Just havent had a chance to get it done..... Trying to get all of the stuff done before the first snows come.... Lots to do still, and the weather is getting ready to freeze up... I kinda put everything on hold for the next week or so till i get everything put away and finish getting the storm windows put back up..... After that, i will get my scope out and start shaving it away...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Grandpa243??? Can you help him out with this one?? I only have alox to lube with right now, and i am having an issue with my sizer in 225. There is a burr in it that is dragging on the gas check that i havent had a chance to fix yet....
    i maybe out of luck for a bit too I can only size to .227 now..
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...18#post2424018
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    Would anyone be willing to part with say 50 bullets casted from this mold? I'd pay/trade for them.

Just want to try my hand before I invest in the mold.

Boolit Master
    OOPS error. Posted in wrong forum.

Boolit Master

I have enjoyed reading on the progress folks have had with this boolit. I will likely add this mold to my stable. Currently, I am using the Lyman 225-415 55 gr sized to .225 over 14 grains of 4227. This has been a consistent performer in my Mini 14 and my brother's AR. A few months back, I started powder coating instead of lubing with BAC and that has since become my method of choice.

The 14 grain load worked well in that it fully cycled and locked back the actions on the AR and the Mini. I recently finished building my own AR (plain jane carbine, Model 1 sales) and had issues. After sighing in with 20 rounds of factory I switched to my reloads. The first 40 or so wouldn't cycle. After that it started cycling more consistently. By about 100 rounds I had full function. I don't think I've ever broken in a new semi rifle and didn't really think about that. Next weekend I will put more rounds downrange and then breaking in my wife's AR build.

I think the boolit from the JT mold will be a good candidate for the powder coating and I hope to get that in the near future.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Finally got around to fixing my sizing die at .224 for my bolt action savage with a 1 in 9 twist. Today i am gunna try 4064 i think.. I will start with 20gr and work up to maybe 24 or 25 gr and see what is what as i have a lot of 4064... Anybody else try 4064 yet??

Banned

just treat the 4064 like a slow batch of 4895.

there is nothing wrong with using 227 as a final diameter.
    in a short while i'm going to order a new 227 sizer [for 2 of my AR's] and a couple of other sizers for some other calibers.

Well... I tried to 4064 and no joy.... Stuff was all over the place... Not grouping at, all most were hitting the paper at 50 yards with 24 grains, but lots of lost boolits with 23, 22, and 21... I used the ladder up to 24 and was pretty bummed considering i have about 18 lbs of 4064..

24 grains
    Attachment 85279

22 grains
    Attachment 85280
    Any ideas on where to go from here fiver?? I was hoping to use 4064 to try on the 22-250 as well.....

At least my time at the range wasn't a total bummer. I picked up this stuff while i was playing...
    Attachment 85281
    Last edited by AlaskanGuy; 10-24-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Ok... On with the quest.....

Trying unique.... Starting with 6 gr.... And laddering up to 9gr. I am also trying some aluminum gas checks for the first time with the 223.... I did not use filler in the 223 case. Don't think it needs it... But we shall see... Just looking for groupings with my bolt action with 1 in 9 twist.... Wish me luck... Grandpa was gunna test this, but haven't heard anything... So here i go..

Well, back from the range... Much better with the Unique..... Shows promise.... Here are the pics
    Attachment 85349
    Attachment 85350
    Attachment 85351
    Attachment 85352
    Attachment 85353
    Attachment 85354
    Attachment 85355
    Attachment 85356
    Attachment 85357

Is this similar to what your getting with unique grandpa? Unique is what i am gunna play with for this rifle for a bit... It shows way more promise then 4064 so far. Might even try with the wife's 22-250..

Alaskan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast