RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still smelting in the summer heat?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    It was just getting dry there when the rains started, record rainfall for May and looks like close to record again this month.
    If we keep getting rain here, we ought to apply to be recognized as a rain forest.

A good friend is moving up from the PDRM (People's Demokratik Republik of Marxichussetts). Of course, it was raining while they were unloading the truck. Another to do tomorrow, and it's raining here in Bristol right now.

Good news is I'm pretty much laid up this summer anyways. Still got a big blue cast on the right lower foot, but they also gave me a walking boot for it now (I can walk around instead of hopping everywhere on one foot). That threw a big monkey wrench in the race car project, but it needed to be done (fix my ankle that is).

Quote Originally Posted by BoolitBill View Post
    Hey Nickle, 105 here in El Paso yesterday. I don't go shooting much less smelting until the temp goes into the 90s.
    Yeah, DOWN to 90. Snowed once in the 2 years I was there, just 3 inches. The city shut down. One of my guys was from San Diego, it was the first time he ever saw snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    I NEED to do a big smelt shortly.
    Same here, and I need to do some casting. But, I certainly don't want lead on my toes. I bought some lead wire and started swaging though. THat ought to keep me out of trouble for a while.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    I bought some lead wire and started swaging though. THat ought to keep me out of trouble for a while.
    Yeah, well, don't forget to watch those fingers!

You'd look pretty funny with casts on your fingers too!!!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I do my smelting in mild (cool) weather. I do enough to more than last me for the year. Smelting is just flat WORK! I enjoy casting, sizing/lubing and reloading. I do NOT enjoy smelting.

I cast year round (I have an air conditioned and heated shop).

Thank the Lord, that I have my smelting done for this year. This fall, however, I need to do some wheelweights.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    No, we can talk about this after October.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Yeah, well, don't forget to watch those fingers!

You'd look pretty funny with casts on your fingers too!!!
    Ain't that the truth. Especially with the 50-53 grain 224's I'm working on.

I've got both an RCBS and a Dillon primer pocket swager. Now, I don't do them, my girlfriend does. And, after having caught her finger a few times swaging 223 brass with the RCBS, she started using the Dillon. I doubt she'll ever use the RCBS again.

Boolit Master
    105 here today, but I don't really mind smelting. It is small lots though since I never come across much lead and I time it for the cooler parts of the day. I guess I am just used to the heat after years of outdoor jobs and hobbies.

It was so hot here today, I just filled my smelting pot with WW and left it out in the sun for a few hours. No seriously just smelted 100#'s the traditional way but I popped a sweat (and kept it out of the lead)

Boolit Master
    Yeah, when it's hot like this I start early in the morning before too hot and too much wind. I got all mine done about 2 weeks ago, caught up now till I mine more lead.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

112 and 113? holy smokes, THAT is hot and I don't care if it's a "dry heat", that's a little much.

Al, you had the right idea: pool time NOT smeltin' time. he he

Just saw some of the SW states are lookin' at 120 deg. and up in the next few days. Makes me happy I no longer live in SoCal.....
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

It has been hot and WET here! I smelt with a wood fired stove and when stirring and pouring it can get pretty uncomfortable.
    Using scrap lumber for fuel so it sure works out well.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Moderator Emeritus

I did 25 pounds 2 days ago, have 61 pounds of lead sheet I want to get done but it has been to windy, makes it hard to keep the turkey fryer burner lit with gusts over 35mph

Boolit Buddy
    I plan to make ingots today if the rain will stop. Just got those new molds from Beone and ready to smelt a bucket of WW's.

I usually do my smelting in the summer heat, as my set up and operation are small time. The extra heat is a blessing.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I smelt when I get in the mood. A fan behind me helps some. I smelt on an electric hot plate and can only do 20lb batches so its a slow process. If it gets to cold or windy then its really slow and have to shield the pot from wind.
    Temps here are upper 80's, now 90's. I can move the bench into the shade if needed but have not moved it yet.

Boolit Master
    I get up at 5:30AM just to go to the range , smelting can wait till Sept or Oct
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I generally smelt in the fall or spring. I always smelt raw WW then because I need to be totally outdoors to do that due to the smoke, stink, etc. I will do my alloy mixing with clean ingots in the garage if necessary (open doors at both ends) but I still prefer fall or spring due to cooler temps. That said, I am totally out of bullet alloy, so I may do a melt this summer if we get a cool stretch. Up here in the Northeast we can be 98 or 68, and probably will be both in a two week stretch. So, I guess we will see. I don't cast until winter, so I don't need it right now, but if the opportunity presents itself I will get it done.

What I WILL be doing is collecting, scrounging, and sorting WWs for when I do melt. That is my #1 summer priority, other than actually shooting.

Boolit Master

98 or 68, and due to high humidity, both can still be very uncomfortable.

I'm on the other side of Lake Champlain from you, get the same weather you do, just a few hours later for the clouds or rain to come by.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post
    112 and 113? holy smokes, THAT is hot and I don't care if it's a "dry heat", that's a little much.

Al, you had the right idea: pool time NOT smeltin' time. he he

Just saw some of the SW states are lookin' at 120 deg. and up in the next few days. Makes me happy I no longer live in SoCal.....
    Not much humidity here, so the heat isn't all that bad--but you GOTTA take on fluids all day, or you will be once sick puppy in short order. I can work most of the day in the garage, as follows.....15-20 minutes in the warmth, then 10 minutes inside in the A/C, on the puter, reading info, etc. Fluids means WATER--not beer, soda, coffee. I do likewise at the range--a half hour blasting around, then into the truck cab and A/C, service targets, come back, and start shooting again. Being able to drive onto the 100-600 yard ranges during the breaks is nice, too. This time of year, I nearly always have the range to myself.

Humidity is the killer, though. I feel badly for the folks in the Midwest and Southeast that have to live with that condition. I guess that is the price for everything being green and leafy. I'll take cholla and Joshua trees anytime, and the lack of mosquitoes doesn't hurt my feelings either.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Guess I'm the only late nite vampire here, and a party animal to boot. Friday nite I rendered down 99lb of COWW, tonight I mowed about 2 acres, between sunset and dark of course, built 4 USPSA target stands, and powder coated and baked about 300 rds of 45 acp. For those interested, there was no cold beer involved.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    ... I feel badly for the folks in the Midwest and Southeast that have to live with that condition......
    I always tell people that SE Texas is a great place to live. If you're a fern.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast