RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I had a customer that wanted a few 1000 124gn RN 9mm bullets in Red Copper.
    I don't have any powder, so used the Old 2013 liquid red copper that has been in my fridge in the shed.
    Mixed 5.1.7 with extreme Catalyst that is about 7 years old.

All coated fine. even the colour is spot on.
    It took a fair bit of shaking to get the red copper liquid back into solution as it had settled over the years.
    I put the bottle in a tumble bucket I have that chucks into the lathe. ran it on slow spindle speed for 30 mins and it mixed back in great.

All I can say is WOW That is a totally impressive. I would never have expected that the liquids would be that stable.
    You keeping it in the fridge may have helped a lot.
    A couple of colors had changed to darker shades over some time, but they were just sitting on the shelf in a shed.
    Even household paints don't stay as stable with storage, they just gel and become useless.
    Happy days....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    All I can say is WOW That is a totally impressive. I would never have expected that the liquids would be that stable.
    You keeping it in the fridge may have helped a lot.
    A couple of colors had changed to darker shades over some time, but they were just sitting on the shelf in a shed.
    Even household paints don't stay as stable with storage, they just gel and become useless.
    Happy days....
    My coating, purchased from Donnie Miceluk at Bayou Bullets in late 2013, is also working fine. It has been kept indoors (at temps between 65 and 75) but has not been refrigerated. I mix it 5-1-10 and coat and bake twice with 1 ml per pound of bullets for each coat. Color is the original Gold (not Gold 1035 or Old Gold) as it and Red Copper were the only colors Donnie offered for sale at the time.

Still works as well as when it was new!

Boolit Master

Mine from Donnie has been stored since 2014 in a non-climate control garage (32˚F - 110˚F) and still works fine using the original recipe. Takes a lot of shaking with a couple of lead balls in the bottle to mix the base.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Mine from Donnie has been stored since 2014 in a non-climate control garage (32˚F - 110˚F) and still works fine using the original recipe. Takes a lot of shaking with a couple of lead balls in the bottle to mix the base.
    Hi DDriller
    Aside from longevity of the liquid coatings, what seems to happening is that these coatings go a very long way and produce many coated casts with small amounts of coating.
    The main problems with Solvent based systems was that transport costs are very high both shipping and road freight.
    That was the main driving force to produce the powdered versions. Colour matching the original liquids was also a major challenge.
    Now, all user has to do is mix powder with Acetone, and all good to go, with every thing built into the coating to make it work.

Boolit Master

Now, all user has to do is mix powder with Acetone, and all good to go, with every thing built into the coating to make it work.
    That takes some of the fun out of it . As to using small amount that is correct. Like an idiot I ordered 4 bottles of each of the 2 colors way back when. Still love this product.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    That takes some of the fun out of it . As to using small amount that is correct. Like an idiot I ordered 4 bottles of each of the 2 colors way back when. Still love this product.
    I am glad that you are happy with the coatings.
    In rough terms, about 1 pound of powder, coating twice, should cover about 50,000, plus or minus.
    Most hobbyists would not use that amount of coating for quite a while.

May be you can call a few mates over for a cook out and a few beers and have a coating fest party.....

Tried baking the coated on my hot plate today. ~139 165gr 40 cal TC, coated once. Got my exercise swirling 5# of bullets in the jug last nite. Cooked a little dark ( powdered gold). Passed wipe and smash test fine. I use a cheap floor tile, sheet of steel and copper cook sheet and cover with some hi temp plastic 'dish' she gave me. It's my normal PC cooking rig but tried the HiTek today. Rifle bullets next.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitek.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	293286
    Whatever!

Is anyone using Hi Tek in a magnum caliber? Results?

May be getting a 300PRC for Christmas. Since it is a magnum I was wondering about using the cast and Hi Tek. Haven't found a mold for a long .308 yet. So would appreciate suggestions.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I had a customer that wanted a few 1000 124gn RN 9mm bullets in Red Copper.
    I don't have any powder, so used the Old 2013 liquid red copper that has been in my fridge in the shed.
    Mixed 5.1.7 with extreme Catalyst that is about 7 years old.

All coated fine. even the colour is spot on.
    It took a fair bit of shaking to get the red copper liquid back into solution as it had settled over the years.
    I put the bottle in a tumble bucket I have that chucks into the lathe. ran it on slow spindle speed for 30 mins and it mixed back in great.
    Thats because you are a tightass and dont throw anything out...
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Thats because you are a tightass and dont throw anything out...
    Ha... last weekend I threw out roughly 20lb of coating powders... A lot of them were colours that didn't work or looked horrible. I reclaim the bottles and use them for mixed coating..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Had a pleasant report. Finland user report on Hi-Tek Mould release with examples.
    Here is the link to the report.
    Thank you Petander. Your report is much appreciated.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...16#post5350416

Boolit Master
    Had a pleasant report. Finland user report on Hi-Tek Mould release with examples.

Good report on a great product, it doesn't take much to coat a mould a dn that stuff sure is slick.

It also doen't effect hi-tek coating afterwards, unlike oil that causes all sorts of issues.

Boolit Master
    One of the guys I shoot with is a commercial caster using a Magma Bullet Master and started using Hi-Tek Mould release last year with really good results.
    He has been able to run like 70,000 200gr .45 bullets without having to take the molds off of the machine, really saves time and increases production.

Boolit Master

You're welcome.

Now people are asking where to get it. Is there a US importer? Or directly from you like I did,Joe?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    You're welcome.

Now people are asking where to get it. Is there a US importer? Or directly from you like I did, Joe?
    Petander
    Availability in US is from Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings LLC.
    I am fairly sure they have stocks. May be you can see it advertised on their web site.
    Product sales outside US, is supplied directly by maker.

Boolit Master

Petander
    Availability in US is from Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings LLC.
    I am fairly sure they have stocks. May be you can see it advertised on their web site.
    Product sales outside US, is supplied directly by maker.
    They have the release agent and also the Aqualube. Both great products.
    I finally broke down and ordered some powdered Hi-Tek from them also to get out of the stone age

Boolit Master
    I forgot to mention that I didn't use any other lube when casting,not even for the aligning pins.

Still amazed,I was really pushing that 2 x 400 grain brass mold , casting fast , trying to make it smear on top or "tin" around the cavity edges... but nothing happened!

This will change my casting to even more relaxed experience, my only problem as a brass mold lover has been tinning / smearing. I have had to watch out for it a bit with my hot tin rich alloy.

Messy lubes are dropping out of my ammo making routines one by one.

I bought some of the bonded mold release from Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings (formally Bayou Bullets) a couple of months ago. And finally got a chance to try it this week. I have a couple of new aluminum molds for a new rifle I got for Christmas. I coated one of them per directions and started to cast. This mold is not the toughest test for the mold release but they just dropped out of the mold when it was opened. Another fine product from Joe.

A couple of things I noticed when using. One; the powder will not just wipe off with a dry cloth if you get it on something. I'm not saying it is hard to clean up. But you should be careful to not create a mess when mixing. Two; you only need a little on the mold. If you guys are like me you thinK more will be better, right? Well it doesn't apply in this case. Just like the coating you only need a thin coat. And Trevor's idea of blowing excess off after heating the mold is a good one.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I spashed some on my orange work shirt when toothbrushing a mold.
    3 months now and the stuff is still there... will not wash out...lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    A couple of things I noticed when using. One; the powder will not just wipe off with a dry cloth if you get it on something. I'm not saying it is hard to clean up. But you should be careful to not create a mess when mixing. Two; you only need a little on the mold. If you guys are like me you thinK more will be better, right? Well it doesn't apply in this case. Just like the coating you only need a thin coat. And Trevor's idea of blowing excess off after heating the mold is a good one.
    I spilled some powder on my scale face and am still trying to get it off. I am sure alcohol will clean it just haven't tried not wanting to damage the plastic. Some day when I grow I'll quit being so clumsy.
    It is a fabulous product however.
    Last edited by DDriller; 03-05-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Page 728 of 742 FirstFirst ... 228628678718719720721722723724725726727728729730731732733734735736737738 ... LastLast