RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Yeah... Just casting, coating, baking, sizing, boxing and selling.
    & Repeat.

Boolit Master
    I'm finding it hard to find time to do the casting part, COVID has stuffed up my day job, had 3 weeks forced un-paid holidays, but that time has been spent doing things around the yard that needed doing. That and other lingering projects i have been putting off that took longer to do than i hoped they would.

I managed to get about 10k .30 cal 180 grain cast and coated the first week, i just need to get on the sizing part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I'm finding it hard to find time to do the casting part, COVID has stuffed up my day job, had 3 weeks forced un-paid holidays, but that time has been spent doing things around the yard that needed doing. That and other lingering projects i have been putting off that took longer to do than i hoped they would.

I managed to get about 10k .30 cal 180 grain cast and coated the first week, i just need to get on the sizing part of the process.
    Im working on the 308 and 312 carbide dies

That's not good to hear, Tazza. I've had enough of COVID stuffing everything up too.

My biggest issue is no space and next, just having too many projects on the go. Had an offer to share some space within a large shed but I don't think it will work out for the best.

So now if all goes well I may have a new business unit to move into around Xmas time. If I can sort out that deal I'll have about 4x the floor area I have now and a stack more height for pallet racking and storage.

Boolit Master
    The industry i'm in has been on a decline for years, COVID has just helped make it even worse. I told them we needed a different line, but i'm sure we all know how the higher up think, or don't think.

I have far too many projects started or on the to do list that i'll never ever finish them with only the odd weekend available as every second sunday is generally my range day.

I have plenty of land to make space, the enclosed water tight space requires money to set up sheds, sheds that are the size i'd really like are more than a car......

Yeah, sharing space in theory is a good idea, even if you're good friends with the other person, but thing can go south and cause you all sorts of issues, i have seen it a few times. I hope which ever way you go it does work out well for you.

Boolit Master

Finally used some of the bonded release agent today. After mold got up to temperature the bullets were falling out before I got the mold fully open. This was on a mold that I had to tap on many times to get the bullets out. Tried it on a new buckshot mold and it worked extremely well.
    I am going to coat the buckshot with Hi-Tek. Do I coat it before I tumble like on bullets before sizing? I normally tumble for 8 - 12 hours to smooth the area the sprue was cut.
    Last edited by DDriller; 10-14-2021 at 12:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Finally used some of the bonded release agent today. After mold got up to temperature the bullets were falling out before I got the mold fully open. This was on a mold that I had to tap on many times to get the bullets out. Tried it on a new buckshot mold and it worked extremely well.
    I am going to coat the buckshot with Hi-Tek. Do I coat it before I tumble like on bullets before sizing? I normally tumble for 8 - 12 hours to smooth the area the sprue was cut.
    Thank you for posting your findings. Most appreciated. Glad the bonded Mold release worked out.
    Can you please post a picture of the Buck Shot you are wanting to coat with Hi-Tek coating?
    That way I may be able to shed some light on if you need to tumble or not before coating.
    I would like to see, how much metal is left after Sprue cutter has removed the excess?

Just a quick note, the Hi-Tek bonded Mold release, works very well with Fishing sinker Molds, and badly corroded Molds as well.
    You can paint on the mixture, and where there is pitting, just add a little more into the cavities and dry. The Mold should work just fine as the alloy cannot remove the release agent within the corrosion holes, and the Lead will not stick to those areas.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 10-14-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    G'day.
    I tumble my 00 buck for 6 hours and then coat. No problem.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    G'day.
    I have never coated buckshot, but i'd tumble it till the surface is how you want it, then coat.

Boolit Master
    G'day.
    I've done the same.

Then I compared tumbled vs non-tumbled and didn"t see a difference in patterns so I don"t bother with tumbling any more. Just coat.

If you tumble, don"t put too much shot at once. I kept breaking tumblers by (probably) overloading them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicovanj View Post
    Hi-Tek works great but BCB Coating works better.
    Ha... Yeah...... right.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    tried some BCB black.
    Wasn't impressed.
    finish was dull and blotchy.
    Acetone (UN1090) is easy to find at the local hardware store.
    MEK and MIBK are not a stocked item at hardware stores and has to be special order. the extra cost of sourcing these solvents with the included freight cost doesn't float my boat.
    But if it works for you, Knock yourself out.
    I'll stick with what I know works, and my customers are happy.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Thank you for posting your findings. Most appreciated. Glad the bonded Mold release worked out.
    Can you please post a picture of the Buck Shot you are wanting to coat with Hi-Tek coating?
    That way I may be able to shed some light on if you need to tumble or not before coating.
    I would like to see, how much metal is left after Sprue cutter has removed the excess?
    https://imgur.com/AgMDEbJ

Boolit Master

Thank you for posting. Now I understand why you have to tumble these. It would take quite a bit to make these balls truly round and aerodynamic in shape.
    From what I have read, others do the same thing and coat it successfully with the Hi-Tek coatings afterwards.

Boolit Master
    tried some BCB black.
    Wasn't impressed.
    finish was dull and blotchy.
    Acetone (UN1090) is easy to find at the local hardware store.
    MEK and MIBK are not a stocked item at hardware stores and has to be special order. the extra cost of sourcing these solvents with the included freight cost doesn't float my boat.
    But if it works for you, Knock yourself out.
    I'll stick with what I know works, and my customers are happy.
    I'm glad i don't use MEK anymore, easy to get if you know where, but it's more expensive than Acetone, stinks REALLY bad

Never use BCB, if it's the product i think it is, didn't it take a long time to dry before you could bake after coating? Hi-tek can be re-baked within an hour if the weather conditions are right.

I'm happy with Hi-Tek, faster to apply than the old product i used, cheaper, and i like the old bugger i buy it off, being made in australia is a plus.

Boolit Master
    With the Kryptonite Green, MEK gives a darker tone than Acetone.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

yeah , This Quote Originally Posted by nicovanj View Post
    Hi-Tek works great but BCB Coating works better.
    Ha... Yeah...... right.

Boolit Master
    With the Kryptonite Green, MEK gives a darker tone than Acetone.
    Interesting, i wonder why that is. I have used up all my MEK, so i can test that with the 122 red i use to see if it does that too.

Acetone is way more convenient, if i ever run out, i just run off to bunnings for more.

Boolit Master
    470 Nitro Express.

Hi Tek TMG Gold coating, Lee 400 grain plain base plinker load @ 2050 fps. Yes plinker, compared to full house 500 grain 2250 fps load, this is very easy to shoot. A heavy rifle.

Shoots clean.

Boolit Master
    Hi-tek can be re-baked within an hour if the weather conditions are right.
    Hell, mine usually only sit long enough to cool to ambient temp before I recoat.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Page 725 of 742 FirstFirst ... 225625675715716717718719720721722723724725726727728729730731732733734735 ... LastLast