MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    That's what scares be about SSDs, if you have a failure bad enough, ypu'll never get data back. Magnetic storage is slower, more moving parts, if a head crashes, you get physical damage but the rest is recoverable. I have watched youtube videos on it, even corrupt data can be recovered with data correction, it amazes me that it can be done.

Well done on keeping good backups, i should mirror my drives more often, i don't have much critical data to loose, but if i did, i'd be unhappy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    That's what scares be about SSDs, if you have a failure bad enough, ypu'll never get data back. Magnetic storage is slower, more moving parts, if a head crashes, you get physical damage but the rest is recoverable. I have watched youtube videos on it, even corrupt data can be recovered with data correction, it amazes me that it can be done.

Well done on keeping good backups, i should mirror my drives more often, i don't have much critical data to loose, but if i did, i'd be unhappy.
    Tazza
    I have three 1 terabyte external hard drives that I download every thing onto, and update weekly. Afterwards, if computer crashes, I can simply plug them into another computer and download all data I need and want. It is unlikely that all three will fail at the same time.
    I have had many attempt by hackers to get into my computer. I have a surprise for them I have no value to any one on here. Any sensitive data is numerically coded so it makes no sense to any one except people here.

Boolit Master
    I have an external drive too, sadly i don't back it up often, but i know i should, i have plenty of old 3.5" drives from a mate with a data centre, so i have the storage available, just laziness means i don't use them

Hackers calling from amazon prime, telstra, microsoft, NBN? we get a few every week....

Glad you have a system to make it so if anyone did get in, they can't use it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I have an external drive too, sadly i don't back it up often, but i know i should, i have plenty of old 3.5" drives from a mate with a data centre, so i have the storage available, just laziness means i don't use them

Hackers calling from amazon prime, telstra, microsoft, NBN? we get a few every week....

Glad you have a system to make it so if anyone did get in, they can't use it.

If they can get through my double layer security system, it will be for nothing.
    Any attempts, are immediately stopped and blocked and deleted. I get a complete report afterwards.

This is an interesting picture of Hi-Tek blue.

Photo taken while projectiles were on a bench under an old fluro tube light and a spot of sunlight was shining through a gap in the window blind.

Perfect example of how artificial light changes the look of a colour.

Boolit Master
    That is a good pic , light source makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    That is a good pic , light source makes a big difference.
    I first thought I had dropped an un-baked one into the tub

Boolit Master
    Short Video of how of How I coat with a hand held bucket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVml...l=ausglock40sw
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Nice, i should send some of mine down for you to do a few more videos

I use vanish washing powder containers that i use. They have lids to try and get a better coat. Dump in a measured amount of projectiles, squirt in liquid hi-tek, lid on, do my shaking dance, then dump out on a laminated MDF sheet to dry. Repeat till they are all done, wait till dry, then cook.

Boolit Master
    I have a large floor fan off to the right that keeps the fumes away from me.
    I'm not worried about lids as it adds to the time taken to get a good coat.
    As you can see I swirl for only like 10 to 15 seconds then dump on the trays.
    You may have noticed I have baking trays and coating trays.
    I'll do a few more of my process over the next few days..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Exactly as the thread says “Simple Hi-Tek coating”

Great video showing how simple coating with Hi-Tek really is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatz357 View Post
    Exactly as the thread says “Simple Hi-Tek coating”

Great video showing how simple coating with Hi-Tek really is.
    Exactly... Simple. no BB's. no static gun, no cloud of powder drifting everywhere. no cancer causing powder getting inhaled. no standing each bullet to stop them sticking together......Simple..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Good to see you're wearing a hi-vis shirt, safety gear is very important in this process.

I'm currently building my own powder coating gun - NOT for boolits - because I haven't figured out a way to use Hi-Tek to coat other parts. I can understand people powder coating small numbers of boolits for hunting etc but why anyone would want to do large quantities like that is crazy. In my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Good to see you're wearing a hi-vis shirt, safety gear is very important in this process.

I'm currently building my own powder coating gun - NOT for boolits - because I haven't figured out a way to use Hi-Tek to coat other parts. I can understand people powder coating small numbers of boolits for hunting etc but why anyone would want to do large quantities like that is crazy. In my opinion.
    I too wanted to try and use hi-tek to coat other parts to stop them rusting and be solvent safe, just not sure if it would stick to the metals i wanted... Especially small engine carby fuel bowls that always seem to rust.

Interesting building your own powder coat gun, hopefully you will share details when it's done and working.

Yes, it just seems a terrible waste that Hi-Tek powder can't be used to coat other metal parts. Oh well. I'm not sure if this thread is the one to post about making a powder coat gun. Anyhow, an Aussie has some very good youtube vids about making one. I'm still trying to source the powder at a reasonable price.

Boolit Master

Yes, it just seems a terrible waste that Hi-Tek powder can't be used to coat other metal parts. Oh well. I'm not sure if this thread is the one to post about making a powder coat gun. Anyhow, an Aussie has some very good youtube vids about making one. I'm still trying to source the powder at a reasonable price.
    The limitation of using Hi-Tek on another application to metals is the ability of those parts to be heated to curing conditions.
    My suggestion would be using the K-15 Black.
    I have used coating to coat nuts and bolts to lubricate and protect from corrosion as well as sprockets for dry lubrication and corrosion protection.
    It does work.
    I have also made electrically conductive coatings that were used in mine applications to stop electrostatic build up.

Does that mean it will work in an electrostatic spray gun, like powder coat? It could be a bit wasteful, I suppose, given that coating boolits uses bugger all. The temperature requirements for curing aren't that different to pc, but it would be using a thicker coat than doing boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    The limitation of using Hi-Tek on another application to metals is the ability of those parts to be heated to curing conditions.
    My suggestion would be using the K-15 Black.
    I have used coating to coat nuts and bolts to lubricate and protect from corrosion as well as sprockets for dry lubrication and corrosion protection.
    It does work.
    I have also made electrically conductive coatings that were used in mine applications to stop electrostatic build up.
    Good to know, i'll give it a go. My items are metal, so getting to 180c is not an issue, time will tell how it bonds and holds with being covered in petrol.

Given that once cured virtually no solvent known to man () will touch it I reckon your parts should be safe.

Boolit Master

Does that mean it will work in an electrostatic spray gun, like powder coat? It could be a bit wasteful, I suppose, given that coating boolits uses bugger all. The temperature requirements for curing aren't that different to pc, but it would be using a thicker coat than doing boolits.
    NOOOO...... Hi-Tek is not to be used as powder coat, with or without Electrostatic gun.
    As you are fully aware, powder coating with Electrostatic applications cannot guarantee uniform film thickness around projectile.
    With Powder coat, you only get one chance to get product right. If finish is inadequate you cant successfully apply another coat to fix it.
    With Hi-Tek if first coat is not so good, you can apply further coats and fix imperfections.
    In terms of heat curing, what I have been advised is, that Powder coat requires 200C for about 20 minutes.
    Hi-Tek coat requires film and cast to get to 180C and stay there for 3 more minutes, and, in most instances, heat curing is complete in about 10 minutes.

Page 708 of 742 FirstFirst ... 208608658698699700701702703704705706707708709710711712713714715716717718 ... LastLast