Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    One thing I have trying to do for warm boolits is after pulling baked boolits out of the oven is to put a second coat on after they have cooled to about 25-30 deg C.(Just warm to the touch) At 1deg C ambient it doesn't take very long.

Last bunch I used 5-1-8 mix on the HT_TEK Black and 120ml-20g on Red Copper powder.
    Question, Can I over coat at these mixes?

There is no liquid mix in the bucket when I dump them on the drying screen after about 15 to 20 sec of tumbling .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    One thing I have trying to do for warm boolits is after pulling baked boolits out of the oven is to put a second coat on after they have cooled to about 25-30 deg C.(Just warm to the touch) At 1deg C ambient it doesn't take very long.

My reply, you just have to work faster and more efficiently...lol...lol
    Seriously, I could not live in such cold conditions.

It must be awful.

Last bunch I used 5-1-8 mix on the HT_TEK Black and 120ml-20g on Red Copper powder.
    Question, Can I over coat at these mixes?

My Reply; All coats can be re-coated with same or other Hi-Tek coloured coatings.

There is no liquid mix in the bucket when I dump them on the drying screen after about 15 to 20 sec of tumbling .
    My Reply; If that is the case, you have got it down to a fine art.
    You just barely need enough to coat without excess and minimal or nil in lube grooves.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 02-09-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    you lot are really overthinking the issue.
    Alloy only needs to be 5 to 10 deg above ambient to dry.

Remember... while your oven is getting up to temp, you have the first tray of bullets sitting on top to pre warm them.
    when that tray is baking, the next tray is on top pre-warming.
    Did a few 1000 yesterday. playing with a heap of new colours from HI-TEK Joe. Coated and left for 10 minutes before baking.
    temp was 28Deg C in the shed.
    Instead of steel plate, try paver blocks.
    Heres your answer: again

Boolit Master
    shot 30 yesterday, will patch clean the barrel tonight and report. Was too late yesterday to go in the garage.
    There appears to be gray striping but that could also just be powder residue I guess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    My guess is too thick of a mix, not shaked enough just before pouring, and too much. My first coat was a bit too thick I think.
    It was definitely dried enough, and wasnt shaked too long, so I would guess this.

I will shoot those tomorrow, see how it goes, I have loaded 100.
    If they lead or leech coating, I'll re-cook the 150 others for another 2 minutes.
    Have you done smash test?
    If they fail smash test after cooking, you will not "fix it" by cooking them longer.
    Once coating sets, and not bonded, it cant be fixed.
    It is a re-melt.
    If coating was applied too thickly, and may be, not dried enough, this will cause poor results with smash tests after cooking.
    If coating is not bonded to alloy, (it will fail smash tests), it is only enveloping alloy , so when shooting, coating will come off, exposing Lead to Barrel.

Boolit Master
    smash test is #1.

Boolit Master
    mmm, I got the worst leading in history.... full of lead after 30 rounds. I failed with my first hi-tek try...

What went wrong? Smash test doesnt seem to flake, went .001 over bore, wheel weights, fresh cast, dried enough (12 hours in a heated garage at 23 celcius and 20% humidity....).
    Cases are flared enough, seating and crimp is separate. Minimal crimp to close case mouth.

HK45, octagonal barrel.

Got 70 rounds to pull now, how can I make sure I don't fail my next try? **** I though that hi-tek would fix it.

I got less leading with alox or 45/45/10...
    Last edited by kryogen; 02-10-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Kryogen,
    Liquid or Dry Powder HI-TEK?
    How did you mix it and what Ratio?
    What type of OVEN?
    How do you VERIFY your ovens ACTUAL TEMPERATURE?
    How did you establish YOUR total Baking Time?
    Did you remove a couple projectiles at different time intervals to TEST them?
    You need to adapt the process to YOUR EQUIPMENT for Temp and Time.
    GOOD ACETONE is required, new FRESH is best, not water contaminated.
    Bayou Bullets has 100 SAMPLE PACKS and FAST SHIPPING, maybe you should
    try some commercial coated products first.

Love Life
    Check your throat.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    .........Bayou Bullets has 100 SAMPLE PACKS and FAST SHIPPING, maybe you shouldtry some commercial coated products first.

That's an excellent idea! You could at least determine if the problem lies with your coating process, or with mechanical issues. (Loading procedure/firearm)
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Kryogen.
    Liquid or Dry Powder HI-TEK? Dry
    How did you mix it and what Ratio? 25ml to 5grams. (will do 30 to 5 next time)
    What type of OVEN? Small convection with custom PID set at 200
    How did you establish YOUR total Baking Time? When temp is back to 200, +10 minutes. So approx 11-13 depending on how much weight I put in it
    Did you remove a couple projectiles at different time intervals to TEST them? No, didnt do that
    You need to adapt the process to YOUR EQUIPMENT for Temp and Time. Will have to coat thinner and cook longer maybe. And test just a few
    GOOD ACETONE is required, new FRESH is best, not water contaminated. I have good acetone.
    Bayou Bullets has 100 SAMPLE PACKS and FAST SHIPPING, maybe you should. They cant ship to canada.

Liquid or Dry Powder HI-TEK? Dry
    How did you mix it and what Ratio? 25ml to 5grams. (will do 30 to 5 next time)
    What type of OVEN? Small convection with custom PID set at 200
    How did you establish YOUR total Baking Time? When temp is back to 200, +10 minutes. So approx 11-13 depending on how much weight I put in it
    Did you remove a couple projectiles at different time intervals to TEST them? No, didnt do that
    You need to adapt the process to YOUR EQUIPMENT for Temp and Time. Will have to coat thinner and cook longer maybe. And test just a few
    GOOD ACETONE is required, new FRESH is best, not water contaminated. I have good acetone.
    Bayou Bullets has 100 SAMPLE PACKS and FAST SHIPPING, maybe you should. They cant ship to canada.
    I can. How much are they? Send me a PM.

Boolit Master
    I think that there is an issue with ITAR or something that doesnt allow selling lead projectiles across the border, I would not want to do something illegal without knowing it, I would prefer not to do that.

Boolit Master

kryogen,

Possible problem with 5 grams weight to 25 ml Acetone.
    I believe Ausglock states 20 grams of dry powder to 100 ml Acetone.
    Smaller volumes may possibly have issues.

Cast up enough to try the larger mix quantity.
    Shake well, let set an hour, shake well, then start to coat.

I think that there is an issue with ITAR or something that doesnt allow selling lead projectiles across the border, I would not want to do something illegal without knowing it, I would prefer not to do that.
    kryogen- Sorry was not intending that we do something illegal. I was referring to something I saw in a post on another board that went :

"Actually, the part about Canadian regulations is incorrect! To my knowledge there are no limits on "inert" items such as unprimed cartridge cases and bullets, and a Canadian individual is entitled to import for personal use (without permit) any or all of the following on any single occasion:
    - small-arms sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    - primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    - empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    - propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4000 grams and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
    (Ref: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#P012)" (note this was posted in late 2013 I guess things could have changed)

They were careful to say that you could not use the USPS to send inert components to Canada. Of course since the question has been raised about the legality I'll retract my offer. With the Federal Administration we have here in the US, at the present time, it's not wise. We have had people disappear for less. LOL.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I just have no clue about the legal aspects of this, and I don't have time to look into it, so I'll just cast my own and not bother, but thanks for wanting to help me.

Someone said, mix, let sit an hour, then re-mix? What I did is just mix, shake a minute, then coat. Isnt that good? (powder).

I don't really want to mix 100ml when I want to coat just 20 to try....

Boolit Master

kryogen,

This process may not be for you, you need to mix up more and
    experiment to get your process down, 20 is just not going yo
    cut it, and short changing the mix process won't either.

Reread the thread and pay attention to Ausglock's and other testers procedures.

Boolit Master
    With the DRYTEK powder..

I have 19 new samples I am currently playing with.
    Process is:
    Empty 250ml pop top bottle.
    Add 20gms of powder DRYTEK.
    Add 100mls of Acetone.
    Attach pop top lid.
    Shake the be Jesus out of it for a few minutes.
    Leave it to sit for an hour.
    Shake it some more.
    Leave for another hour.
    Shake it and coat the bullets.

The DRYTEK powder needs time to react. remember... it has the catalyst already in it as powder, so it has to go back into suspension as a liquid.

The Liquid HITEK can be mixed and used within 5 minutes.

As they say in the classics " Hurry up and wait" with the DRYTEK powder.
    Don't be afraid of mixing too much. a 20gm:100ml mix will give better results than a 5gm:25ml mix due to more consistent ratio.
    I tried doing small mixes when the powder first was tested and it did not work. That is why I standardised on the 20gm:100ml and it works.
    mixing at 20gm:120mls will not hurt. It just makes for a thinner coating.
    Also. you need to coat more than 20 bullets. you are just not getting the correct coverage by doing pissy little handfuls. do at least 2kg of bullets.
    remember more is better for consistency.

Kryogen. have a look at the throat of your barrel as Mr. Moonman suggested.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 02-12-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Well, I did 250 last run but failed so I have to trash 220 casts.
    What kind of container do you mix in? and then how do you measure the volume when you pour?

Could the failure have been caused by not letting enough time after the mix? I did mix, shake, coat, dry, cook. Used an unsuitable plastic container for the mix so it had failed during the night, 2nd coat was the same, mix, shake, coat.

Well, I would rather just find a pistol with a throat that works.
    Is the glock 17 9mm factory barrel ok for that usually then? I don't mind switching to 9mm, whatever works...

Do you still go 1 overbore, like 358, with the coated 9, or do you keep those at 357 or so?
    I usually go 1 overbore with minimal crimp and plunk test pass.

Boolit Master

kryogen,

I use a "COOL WHIP" pie topping plastic container (frozen food section) to
    tumble the projectiles in.
    I measure with MEASURING SPOONS.
    I use 3 POUNDS of projectiles and 3.7 ml of solution.
    1/2 teaspoon = 2.5 ml and 1/4 teaspoon = 1.2 ml
    2.5 + 1.2 = 3.7 ml per 3 pounds, per APPLICATION.
    I let dry OVERNIGHT. (I have wire mesh trays I made from HARDWARE CLOTH).
    1/8" MESH IF YOU CAN FIND IT, OTHERWISE 1/4" OR USE EXPANDED METAL.

Glock barrels (Polygonal rifleing) have been successfully used by many.

.001 overbore size. (.358 projectile dia.)

Just remelt your bad projectiles, the coatings float to skim off.

Loading, Make sure you BELL THE CASE ENOUGH so you don't scrape the coating.
    Minimum Crimp, Do the plunk test for O.A.L.
    Do WIPE & SMASH TEST on projectiles.

Have a look at your present THROAT for LEAD there presently, clean well if so.

Since you are using the DRY mix maybe you can raise your bake temp a bit,
    Dry mix can stand more variance, maybe even get another (oven) thermo
    to verify your PID temp setting and oven actual temp.

You can vary temps and bake times.

Start removing a couple projectiles at say 10 min,
    11 mins, 12 mins, 13 mins, 14 mins, 15 mins.
    Keep track of which is which, run SMASH & WIPE tests
    record results of time & temp.
    Last edited by Moonman; 02-12-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Page 234 of 742 FirstFirst ... 134184224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244284334734 ... LastLast