Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 737 of 742 FirstFirst ... 237637687727728729730731732733734735736737738739740741742 LastLast
Results 14,721 to 14,740 of 14829

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone mixed flour of Teflon into their Hi-Tec coating mix? The temperature that Teflon breaks down is about 500F. therefore it would go through a 350F bake alright.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Hitek is actually designed to be a Bullet coating.
    Powder coat is designed for Lawn furniture.
    That said it all. regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Hitek is actually designed to be a Bullet coating.
    Powder coat is designed for Lawn furniture.
    How the heck do you get lawn furniture in your mold?
    Asking for a friend....
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    How the heck do you get lawn furniture in your mold?
    Asking for a friend....
    I dont know for sure, but my friend told me he purchased a bigger Mold, but was unsuccessful. He even tried to melt down the Aluminium frames, but that did not work.

Boolit Master
    My mate in town has a commercial powder coating business.
    he asked if I wanted some powder to coat bullets with..
    I laughed at him... Said HITEK is for bullets. Powerdercoat is for everything else.
    Powdercoat is too messy... bloody powder floating around everywhere... one big mess. Bugger that!
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man

Finally got my brick red to come out nice. I used the standard recipe but splashed maybe 10ml of isopropyl alcohol over the 10lbs of bullets before I swirled. This extended the swirl time to well over a minute and helped making the color more glossy. This was 3 coats. The second coat was just as nice but a bullet here and there had a blemish so went ahead and added a third coat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20230420-031326.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Looks great. 3 coats is overkill, but they very appealing to the eye..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Chiming in here after a winter hiatus:

Pure lead 20 gauge RB:s with two coats of TMG Gold, then Black/clear PC on top. For cosmetic reasons!

Smashing was done inside a cotton cloth, you can see the cloth pattern on the surface.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Chiming in here after a winter hiatus:

Pure lead 20 gauge RB:s with two coats of TMG Gold, then Black/clear PC on top. For cosmetic reasons!

Smashing was done inside a cotton cloth, you can see the cloth pattern on the surface.

Thanks for your post. it has been a while since you have added a post.
    They look very strange, but nice, maybe Alien eggs.....LOL

Boolit Master

I like the combo coat look. I did something similar with some .30 cal cast bullets. I coated them in "Texas Tea" black and was running out but had some 500 bronze so I did a final splash coat with that and got the same kind of look.

The first two bullets on the left are coated with the 500 bronze and the others are with the combo coat. The bullets are both from NOE moulds and are a 200 gr. and a 155 gr. loaded in .300 Blackout for my single shot pistol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300BO 208 155 HT2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	313840

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I like the combo coat look. I did something similar with some .30 cal cast bullets. I coated them in "Texas Tea" black and was running out but had some 500 bronze so I did a final splash coat with that and got the same kind of look.

The first two bullets on the left are coated with the 500 bronze and the others are with the combo coat. The bullets are both from NOE moulds and are a 200 gr. and a 155 gr. loaded in .300 Blackout for my single shot pistol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300BO 208 155 HT2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	313840

They look great, I also like that look. It goes to show, how you can get the Camo look using various Hi-Tek colors

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    They look great, I also like that look. It goes to show, how you can get the Camo look using various Hi-Tek colors
    I was quite happy with the results, never thought of doing this before.

The only time I ever did two colors was after coating some bullets with black I then hit them with kryptonite green. The black base made them look different because the silver lead wasn't shining through. With the black base you saw more of the metalic flake and it was more of a darker emerald green.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I was quite happy with the results, never thought of doing this before.

The only time I ever did two colors was after coating some bullets with black I then hit them with kryptonite green. The black base made them look different because the silver lead wasn't shining through. With the black base you saw more of the metallic flake and it was more of a darker emerald green.
    Intel6
    If you coat over these with one coat of Gold 1035 it will really sparkle and lighten the dark green colour. A few people coat with K-15 black then coat with two very thin coats Gold 1035, the glitter is outstanding.

Boolit Master
    Can you use softer bullets than you normally would for a given velocity than you normally would? I typically try to blend whatever I have to a about Lyman #2 or about 15 Brinnel. I'd like to use less linotype in the mix as it's getting harder to get.
    [

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Can you use softer bullets than you normally would for a given velocity than you normally would? I typically try to blend whatever I have to a about Lyman #2 or about 15 Brinnel. I'd like to use less linotype in the mix as it's getting harder to get.

AbitNutz
    a lot depends on speeds that you want to go with, and type of gun used.
    A 15 Brinell hardnes is suitable for a lot of applications.
    Please stipulate what guns you want to use the 15Bn alloy in, speeds you want to achieve, and it will be more easy to give you better answers.

Boolit Master
    I have used 8 to 10 BHN with 2 coats of HITEK for 230gn RN 45ACP bullets.
    Also use 2 coats on 8 BHN alloy for 38 Special target loads.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    In one load I'll push a 73gr 30 caliber at about 1200 fps. This is a pistol bullet out of a 4-3/4" barrel.
    On another load, I'll use a 30cal 84gr gas check bullet and push it to just over 1500 fps.
    [

I haven't been here for quite a while as I haven't needed to cast and coat anything due to having built up a rather large supply. I've decided that with Winter coming (so they say, you wouldn't know it from the weather ) I should start casting again so caught up on a few posts here - which raises a question. My mold is a 4-gang brass unit for .38SP, coated with the grey bonded mold release. I decided to give it a good clean, polished the cavities using a Dremel buff and Brasso (so shiny and pretty ), cleaned with brake cleaner, followed by acetone and then coated with the mold release.
    So my question, based on what I read here - should I now polish the cavities with a clean, dry buffing wheel before use? I didn't do that last time.

Boolit Master
    G'day..
    I wipe on the bonded with a brush. heat on a hotplate. Let cool and brush off excess with a soft toothbrush.
    I got 2 new Lee 6 Cav 200gn .429 molds from Titan last week.
    Wiped out with acetone on a rag, wiped on the bonded, heated for 10 mins and brushed off.
    Pre-heated the molds while the pot was coming up to temp.
    Very first bullets from both molds were perfect.
    I cast 2500 with the 2 molds and all bullets had perfect fillout and dropped free every time.
    Even lubing the sprue plate hinge bolt with beeswax didn't effect the bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Thanks Trev, that's pretty much what I did the first time around, I just got a bit confused when someone mentioned polishing after coating.

Page 737 of 742 FirstFirst ... 237637687727728729730731732733734735736737738739740741742 LastLast