WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 50 of 742 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150550 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

TC, Wouldnt think so. I check mine yesterday with new temp gage, gonna check again. Temp was low yesterday and still no leading. First day i've every had temp gage. I been shootin hitek before i started this 1024# sticky. You'll figure it out. Try to get convection oven at kmart, where i got mine, then it goes on sale. uh-huh! Gotta cook outside, i always will! I have cooked 1 tray in garage, but you hav to leave and then open door. My garage is a/c-heat, so dont want door open. Might buy 500 bullets for round 27$ from john, run a test on that. Your tray is wire?,, so air can circulate thru TC.?? I would use acetone. I dont know, just throwin stuff out. A paycheck or two, iam gonna get some 9mm from john. Link above,on last pg.. Ausglock told me first of thread, let first coat dry 30 mins.. Preheat oven and do sompin else,, my iphone timer tells me when stuffs ready.

Ya I plan on getting a convection but would like to make sure it's going to work first, I think the upside to the convection is it will be more even and take less time yielding lighter colored bullets.

Yup my tray is made from 1/8 hardware cloth just like the Bayou bullets directions said to use. I'm very happy with the basket don't think I could improve on it much.

I would use acetone
    Huh?

I've thought about buying bullets but of all the lead I've ever shot none has been bought so far and WW+lube seems to be a proven winner for me tho I pan lube and it just takes so long.

Been Letting the 1st coat air dry for atleast a hour and I always let the oven preheat a minimum of 10mins.

I took the 100ish bullets I have left from this batch and mixed up some coating at a 5-1-5 ratio. Coated and Baked twice so these bullets now have 3 coats at 5-1-10 with about 7mls of coating per layer and 2 coats at 5-1-5 at 4mls per layer. Tho the first coats were for 250ish rounds and the last 2 I only have around 100 so the mls are different.

Ok so the above bulllets seemed to work with no leading thank god for throwing darts at a wall.

I decided to caught the 20 bullets I fired today to see if it would help identify the problem. But the bullets worked so not much help there tho I still think the tumble lube design doesn't agree with the coating very well probably gonna have it machined out once things are running good all the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	80246

So I'm thinking one of two things. The 5-1-10 is not working for me(unlikely) or what I tumble the bullets in is not vented enough, since I'm using a glass jar I have been taking the lid on and off to get the bullets to setup i'm thinking I need something bigger like a butter tub so I can tumble with no lid and pick up every last bit of coating on the side of the container. 5 coats seems like way to much so I'm guessing I'm not using all of the coats to start with and to much is left over in the glass jar.

Boolit Master
    Today was my first try with HT coating. I cast some 160 .45's yesterday. Today I coated them with 5-1-7 green. I coated them twice. They passes the smash and wipe test. I let them dry to the touch, around 15 minutes. I sized, loaded and fired them tonight. I got pretty bad lead streaking down the barrel and I could smell the coating in the barrel, kind of a paint smell. Is doing all this under 24 hours too soon? I'm thinking of applying another coat after sizing. There was no flaking after sizing two coats.

Boolit Master
    TC. go with 5-1-5 for 2 coats.
    You barrel may not like 5-1-10.

When you are making bullets for your own use, who cares what the colour looks like, so long as they are accurate with zero leading.

So, bake them at 195-200 Deg C for 12 minutes and try that with the 5-1-5. This is what I'm going to use for my mates CZ with the red copper coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Today was my first try with HT coating. I cast some 160 .45's yesterday. Today I coated them with 5-1-7 green. I coated them twice. They passes the smash and wipe test. I let them dry to the touch, around 15 minutes. I sized, loaded and fired them tonight. I got pretty bad lead streaking down the barrel and I could smell the coating in the barrel, kind of a paint smell. Is doing all this under 24 hours too soon? I'm thinking of applying another coat after sizing. There was no flaking after sizing two coats.
    ZW.
    What alloy are you using? 45 is very forgiving.
    try the 3rd coat and see if it makes a difference.
    Was there any sign of bare lead around the base of the bullet after sizing?
    I have the Lee 228gr RN that will show bare lead after sizing ( only very small amount) and this has caused leading. I applied a 3rd coat and the bullet worked fine. It just adds another step to the process.
    I much preffer bevel base bullets for coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    These boolits have a very slight taper. There was no leading after sizing. The alloy is range scrap with WW added. It is not very soft.

Ya the above pictured bullets were fired out of the glock 17 I will try to do the same test with the CZ and see if the normal rifling chips more of the coating away. Bullets were fired into wet magazines I tired dry and there wasn't a whole lot of bullet left and than the first two the paper wasn't soaked very good yet.

195c-200c = 383f-392f
    So I'm about 3 degrees low but with the chipping that's going on already I would think I would need to go lower if anything. Since chipping in the grooves could pop coating off of the bearing surface I would like to minimize it as much as possible. Removing the grooves seems like the way to go.
    Last edited by Thompsoncustom; 08-25-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone coated less than perfect boolits ie: small wrinkles, poorly formed bases? If so did the coating make up for these imperfections or did it still affect accuracy? The reason I ask is because I have been casting all week and just realized I now have several hours worth of inspecting to do. I was hopong to speed up the process by not having to watch them as close as I normally do when checking for keepers.

Banned

My "custom" mold bullets (cut here in town from a blank NOE) need a lil' make-up, bam,, heres hitek,,, and after sizeing are a replica of a berry's bullet profile on the sides. Super coat/super beautiful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcobb651 View Post
    Has anyone coated less than perfect boolits ie: small wrinkles, poorly formed bases? If so did the coating make up for these imperfections or did it still affect accuracy? The reason I ask is because I have been casting all week and just realized I now have several hours worth of inspecting to do. I was hopong to speed up the process by not having to watch them as close as I normally do when checking for keepers.
    Small wrinkles are no problem on the nose. but deformed bases will have accuracy issues. The HI_TEK Coating is not body filler. It will not fill holes etc. Try casting with a hotter pot temp and warmer mold.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

TC, are you cooking out side? You never answered, about gas inside. Gas oven inside or what? Ya said ya might spend the money and get new covection oven. Its not your mix. There is no way anyone can cook inside. If anyone cooks inside their family needs to take them to the second floor. Not real healthy to breath that in.

Yea, getting lazy, gonna buy some quality cast 9mm to use also. When my wallet catches up. I'll keep casting the 380's and 45's. Thats enough work there.
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-25-2013 at 09:39 PM.

I cast ww with a Fryxell sticky lube , but want to move into a .277 ( aka 270 Winchester ) , I am dying to see how the performance of the coating does at high velocities . I was looking into expoxy and other other resins for the sake of plating bullets before this , but this might turn out to be the cats meow . It would be nice to see those that shoot rifle calibers and speeds include data in a different area . I Believe that this is on the right track , however am not sure if the product is fully developed for higher rifle speeds . On the upside , just think of taking a BHN of around 8 and making it fit the barrel and shoot in the hyper velocity speeds without going with tutu skirts .
    God bless America

As an added bit of information , I was looking into making a frangible round using epoxy resin and metal molecular sized metal fragments , aka Metal dust in a high heat expoxy resin . Some great bullet manufactures were a head of me by years , but the mental exercise was wondrous . I was getting ready to patent a bullet , till I realized that the patent would infringe on someone else s patents ... even if the concept was better . Still looking at a AL jackett , instead of Cu , which would have benefit to re loaders as AL is so reactive and should be hard enough to bear the surface friction of a barrel . And AL is not near as expensive as Cu and once figured out , could provide the same benefits as as (OR CLOSE ) as Cu .
    God bless America

Boolit Grand Master

Mauser1959, go back several pages and read my posts on the 30-06 and 223 Rem. Also al jackets have already been done.

TC, are you cooking out side? You never answered, about gas inside. Gas oven inside or what? Ya said ya might spend the money and get new covection oven. Its not your mix. There is no way anyone can cook inside. If anyone cooks inside their family needs to take them to the second floor. Not real healthy to breath that in.
    Yup inside kitchen over, it's vented very well and you can't even hardly tell I'm cooking boolits and not food but I agree that it's probably best to only cook it when I'm in the house and the family is gone.

Gunoil have you recovered any of the bullets from your custom mold? Kind of want to see how the coating holds up on a no lube groove bullet.
    Last edited by Thompsoncustom; 08-26-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Banned

1)your joking! you cant cook in house oven.

2)no, shot the big phone book at indoor other day with lil' ruger 380. (Oh, Getting a magguts.com for ruger today.) 380's Went rite thru. Well, if the barrel is so clean, spent bullet prob looks good too. 380,bad lil' round.

3) i have CNC contact. If ya do, you can buy used molds and bore out. I started with NOE blank, but next time i may try this idea. Say 9mm to 40 s&w. Maybe small 380 up to 9mm. SPRU plate would remain same.

4) Or hav em bore out what you got, same dia., or tiny bit deeper to gain some grains. Or shave top to loose grains. Or some always want .01 lil' bigger, just have him add that (cir.) to your mold.

5) above bullet so slick you drop em alot after sizing, its a makarov nose @ 108gr. Flat base. Drops good, ive cast around 1700. New custom mold.

"Its shake an bake mama"
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-26-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Popper.
    I have chrono data of 38 Super Major power factor loads with red/copper, green and Rose red coatings. Bullet is Lee 125gr RN Non TL.

Velocity was virtually the same between colours with the same components (5 to 11 FPS for 10 shots each).

The coating on recovered bullets is untouched except for groove marks. Some are that good that you could load them again. If the coating is "wearing off", then it was not applied correctly.
    We fire 357Mag and 44 Mag rifles with coated bullets and no gas checks. barrel length of 16 to 20" and the recovered bullets have a full coating and barrels are clean. these loads are full power teeth rattlers, not ***** loads.

Last night, I was going through all the experimental coated bullets. these have been sitting around for over a few months. As I was checking them for wipe off, there were a few that had slight colour wipeoff. These are now ingots again. the rest that passed the wipe and smash are now bagged up ready for use as "Rainbow Bullets".

These experimental colours are very "suck it and see" types. Even HI-TEK is not sure how they will coat and bake. So I am learning via OJT with these new colours. The established colours ( red/copper, green, gold, Black) are easy to use and have no issues as to smash, wipe off and leading when correctly applied.

I fired a bit over 250 rounds of 38 Super on Sunday through the Kimber Stainless Target II and all she needed was a bore snake to clean out powder residue before going back in the safe. She fired 2 coats 5-1-10 of Red/copper Lee 120gr CON at 1100fps avg.
    HI-TEK is sending some more experimental colours this week. I better get a few 1000 bullets cast so I got something to coat with the new colours.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I was getting slight leading with full snot 44 mag with 11 bhn hollow point 255gr keith. Bullet was traveling 1300 out of my 10" smith. Felix lube or coating, this .432 always leaded just a tiny bit. I shot 100 rounds this weekend shooting pears at 100yds. I coated then lubed and zero I mean zero lead. One pass of a bore snake in cylinder and bbl and you could not tell gun was fired. 1332ave is pretty strong with such a soft bullet but doing this coating with lube makes for some pretty awesome accuracy and no clean up. Milk jugs literally split in half.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Have to keep it fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    If members dont want to cast and just want to hi-tek!

http://www.twoalphabullets.com/

1000 projectile 125gr for 55$ unsized/unlubed. Call john, he is a match shooter using hi-tek also.

Yes, he has all calibers.
    Gunoil,

John is a good guy! He drove down last week and bought some coating from me! Talk about a good ole boy..... I think we talked for an hour!

Banned

Oh definate yes gateway and you are too. Casting can be a chore and iam glad both of you are around for old and new to purchase their projectiles from. You two widen the choices of molded bullets we have to choose from. Then shake and bake. Everyone cant have time to cast and search for lead, but anyone can hi-tek. Thanks!