Texas Tea

Bkack K-15
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Pecks paste

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Ausglock your showing your age, I have not seen that **** for years. I used to tell Mum the little blue spots were fish eyes and she stopped eating it. Regards Stephen
    I love the Anchovy and also Ham paste, it is great with toast. My daughter tells me, that Woollies is the only store that sells it. It is easy to spread thick layers onto toast, where Vegemite is best when spread very sparingly.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Old Black

Texas Tea

Bkack K-15
    Thanks much for posting these pictures. I must take a lesson or two from you (or more), how to prepare and load pictures on here.

Happy Resurrection Day guys.

This Covid 19 is really boosting my service attendance. Listened to Charles Stanley earlier and am about to listen to our churches live stream on You Tube.

Have a blessed Easter! And don't eat too much candy.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    So hoping at some stage this year I can use these in our yearly woodchop

Gold 1035
    That 1035 Gold is the first color I used way back when all was liquid. And, so far, my most accurate groups in .308 have been shot with it. But I don't think that it or any of the colors are more accurate than any of the other colors. That's based on my handguns. I've really only used three colors in my rifles the 1035 Gold, Black K15 and the Gun Metal.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day Ausglock , thank you for the info , I must just be old or greedy or fat ( most likely all of the the fore said ) as pecks paste disappears in my house .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I don't think any colour is better than the other for velocity, I found all I tried to be great to at least 2,400fps. I did however shoot my best groups with the gold. Regards Stephen
    Stephen, many years ago, a company called Top Score International ended up exclusively using Old Gold coating. It had highest load of ingredients that appeared to be most effective in reducing heat transfer to alloy and Bore to alloy separation. After they did tests, this phenomena had surfaced, as being probably being the most important aspect of that coating, that appeared to be suitable for higher powered, higher velocity ammo to function as required. I have never had any one compare one colour with another in a specific application, but so far they all seem to work equally as well.
    Doing some tests with Old Gold, compared to what you have used may reveal some answers.

I had looked up some records.
    In 2002 the atomised test results, that were conduced by independent environmental management authority, to test the efficiency of Hi-Tek coatings ability to reduce atomised Lead, the test was in fact conducted using Old Gold coated cast.
    Results obtained, confirmed, that the atomised Lead result as obtained with Hi-Tek coated cast was very similar To Copper plated alloy.
    Atomised Lead results with use of Hi-Tek Old Gold coated Cast, met both Australian and US health regulations.
    Bore residue after shooting Copper Plated was visible.
    Bore after shooting the Old Gold coated cast was clean.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 04-13-2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: additional details

Boolit Master
    The old black looks nice, i have been using K15 and red 122, i need to get my paws on different colours one day, just cause i can

I liked the idea of different colours for different loads, so i know say red is for my open gun, green is for the stock one in .38 super. That way, i can't put the powerful pews in the wrong gun as easily.

I'll need to try the tru blue when i order more powder

Thought I'd catch up on a bit of coating, while the weather is still warm (easier to dry the coating in the sun).
    Roundballs have one coat, boolits have two. Yes, I know coating for muzzleloaders doesn't actually do anything but it means I'm not handling lead when loading. And they look pretty.
    Front row is .44-40, .38 and .36 for my slingshot. I'll re-size the boolits later, a nice job when the weather turns bad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coating a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	260350

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA9D5B27-83E5-4BBB-83CE-87E67E9CB73A.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	260360I got a few new moulds from Mp and had some time last weekend so I made up a few.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44E08A01-BCF7-41E3-8442-5E41629AB751.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	260359

My oven was not keeping consistent temp on the semi wadcutter batch and I think they may have got overcooked a bit.

Overcooked just a tad, but as long as they pass the smash test they'll shoot fine - and the gun won't care!

So 2 weeks in self isolation gave me a bit of time to do some casting

not a lot compared to several on this forum but will keep me going for a while

Pretty, pretty...

that's weird top right in my photo are 44/40

Boolit Master
    You guys are cooking great looking bullets.

I'm so happy I tried Hi Tek,got hooked and my casting re-started from a many years hibernation. I got back to big revolvers and 45-70 and 45 ACP... also shoot 357 mag a lot for some reason now, more than semis.

Where I live,deep in the countryside,I can still go shooting whenever I like. As long as I have powder and primers, I'm not dependent on commercial shooting ranges that may be or get closed now.

You're lucky, Petander, this bloody Kungflu has closed all ranges in Australia (and some gunshops!), and pretty well the only people who can shoot are primary producers and the lucky few who have access to private land. No competition shooting. I think there's a lot of casting, coating and reloading going on at the moment.

This Hi-Tek is great stuff, and really it's pretty easy to use once you understand the basics. I've only had two failures, when I first started I had temperature issues but a PID fixed that and some time ago I had a batch fail because the first coat was too thick (it flaked badly). I don't measure the stuff, just squirt it into the mixing bucket () but I can now tell by looking whether the coating's going to work. I've already got more coated boolits than I'm likely to use up but every now and then I get the urge to cast some more, which, of course, means they will need coating! And so it goes...

They can keep their PC for garden furniture, as Trev says.

Boolit Master
    Joe in regard to the old Gold, I actually saved the old Gold for the big bore high pressure loads such as 458 and 460 SW in my case. I have sent a good supply of 320gr cast to my brother for his 460 SW revolver, I know the gold coated had a velocity of just under 2,000fps with outstanding accuracy, as yet I have not heard back in regards to difference if any with the Red Copper. I got my best accuracy from my 458 wm using the Gold but I think it was just a good day for me, I normally get accuracy in the 40mm a 100 mtrs range but on the day in question it was a ragged hole for 3 shots and velocity was guessed at 1,800fps. I like the look of the gold and have many people ask how I cast brass bullets. I have done tests with the gold against the Red Copper with 158gr cast in my 357 maximum at a known velocity of just under 2,400fps and could pick no difference in group size which never exceeded 45mm at 100mtrs for 3 shots. The one thing I and others who used my cast all noted, was the fact the groups were perfect triangular groups if the shooter did his part. I have never had a flier from a group that I did not call as the shot broke. I can honestly say that to me colour is purely a preference for a colour and they all work better than I can shoot. After this latest gift from China I will get back into my testing. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Nice job guys.

I have spent the last week casting 9mm pills like a crazy person, sadly mine are all just plain 'ol K15 black, nothing pretty, but i have quite a few done so far, gonna keep going so i don't need to do more for quite a while. most have been coated, working on sizing them and others that have been sitting for a few months. Casing machine goes in the background while i feed the sizer.

When i cast, i put them into old 4 litre paint tins for easy(ish) moving of them, considering they are up to 30kg each. Some are fairly old and starting to rust inside. I cleaned one with steel wool and thought a coat of hi-tek may help fix this issue, so i dumped in a few ml and swirled it around, waited for it to dry then cooked it. When i bake my projectiles i dump them into these tins afterwards and store them in them till i size. So rust-free is ideally what i want. So far, it seems to have worked well.

Boolit Master
    Tazza I used to use the Large baby formula tins but had same problem as you. I went to local take away shops and got several resealable plastic containers you would be surprised how many they have in various sizes. I also went to local thrift shop and purchased plastic containers cheap. The only way I found to stop cans rusting was to spray inside with food grade silicon and then use them for nuts and bolts. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Go to Ice cream shops and ask for the tubs that the ice cream comes in. They are 15" long, 5" wide and 6"deep.
    Will hold 3000 9mm bullets easy. I use them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 669 of 742 FirstFirst ... 169569619659660661662663664665666667668669670671672673674675676677678679719 ... LastLast