RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading UKMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionADvertise here

Page 728 of 728 FirstFirst ... 228628678718719720721722723724725726727728
Results 14,541 to 14,546 of 14546

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I had a customer that wanted a few 1000 124gn RN 9mm bullets in Red Copper.
    I don't have any powder, so used the Old 2013 liquid red copper that has been in my fridge in the shed.
    Mixed 5.1.7 with extreme Catalyst that is about 7 years old.

All coated fine. even the colour is spot on.
    It took a fair bit of shaking to get the red copper liquid back into solution as it had settled over the years.
    I put the bottle in a tumble bucket I have that chucks into the lathe. ran it on slow spindle speed for 30 mins and it mixed back in great.

All I can say is WOW That is a totally impressive. I would never have expected that the liquids would be that stable.
    You keeping it in the fridge may have helped a lot.
    A couple of colors had changed to darker shades over some time, but they were just sitting on the shelf in a shed.
    Even household paints don't stay as stable with storage, they just gel and become useless.
    Happy days....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    All I can say is WOW That is a totally impressive. I would never have expected that the liquids would be that stable.
    You keeping it in the fridge may have helped a lot.
    A couple of colors had changed to darker shades over some time, but they were just sitting on the shelf in a shed.
    Even household paints don't stay as stable with storage, they just gel and become useless.
    Happy days....
    My coating, purchased from Donnie Miceluk at Bayou Bullets in late 2013, is also working fine. It has been kept indoors (at temps between 65 and 75) but has not been refrigerated. I mix it 5-1-10 and coat and bake twice with 1 ml per pound of bullets for each coat. Color is the original Gold (not Gold 1035 or Old Gold) as it and Red Copper were the only colors Donnie offered for sale at the time.

Still works as well as when it was new!

Boolit Buddy
    Mine from Donnie has been stored since 2014 in a non-climate control garage (32˚F - 110˚F) and still works fine using the original recipe. Takes a lot of shaking with a couple of lead balls in the bottle to mix the base.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Mine from Donnie has been stored since 2014 in a non-climate control garage (32˚F - 110˚F) and still works fine using the original recipe. Takes a lot of shaking with a couple of lead balls in the bottle to mix the base.
    Hi DDriller
    Aside from longevity of the liquid coatings, what seems to happening is that these coatings go a very long way and produce many coated casts with small amounts of coating.
    The main problems with Solvent based systems was that transport costs are very high both shipping and road freight.
    That was the main driving force to produce the powdered versions. Colour matching the original liquids was also a major challenge.
    Now, all user has to do is mix powder with Acetone, and all good to go, with every thing built into the coating to make it work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Now, all user has to do is mix powder with Acetone, and all good to go, with every thing built into the coating to make it work.
    That takes some of the fun out of it . As to using small amount that is correct. Like an idiot I ordered 4 bottles of each of the 2 colors way back when. Still love this product.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    That takes some of the fun out of it . As to using small amount that is correct. Like an idiot I ordered 4 bottles of each of the 2 colors way back when. Still love this product.
    I am glad that you are happy with the coatings.
    In rough terms, about 1 pound of powder, coating twice, should cover about 50,000, plus or minus.
    Most hobbyists would not use that amount of coating for quite a while.

May be you can call a few mates over for a cook out and a few beers and have a coating fest party.....

Page 728 of 728 FirstFirst ... 228628678718719720721722723724725726727728