Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Is it just me or does that seem like a real waste?
    You need to find the dump that his jar went to! Mix it all together and get a weird and wonderful colour mixture.

Boolit Master
    Is it just me or does that seem like a real waste?
    Not really a waste.
    Most of them were colours that were horrible or did not work.
    A lot of them were less than 10 grams. some had been sitting on the shelf and had been affected by light discolouring the powder.
    Besides......I'm not allowed to give or sell any of the test samples as per the agreement with HITEK.
    If I were to sell or give away, people would drive me crazy wanting this and that mailed here and there...
    I'm a grumpy old coot with a very low tolerance for fools.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Not really a waste.
    Most of them were colours that were horrible or did not work.
    A lot of them were less than 10 grams. some had been sitting on the shelf and had been affected by light discolouring the powder.
    Besides......I'm not allowed to give or sell any of the test samples as per the agreement with HITEK.
    If I were to sell or give away, people would drive me crazy wanting this and that mailed here and there...
    But i wanted the other green, this isn't green enough!

You, a grumpy old coot? no way, i wouldn't believe that

Sadly, there are plenty of idiots out there, as long as you keep them elsewhere, it's all good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    But i wanted the other green, this isn't green enough!

You, a grumpy old coot? no way, i wouldn't believe that

Sadly, there are plenty of idiots out there, as long as you keep them elsewhere, it's all good.
    Tazza
    Which Green are you referring to?
    There is a Zombie Green, Dark Green, which is a bit darker, and there is a Dark Green V-2 which is very dark.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza
    Which Green are you referring to?
    There is a Zombie Green, Dark Green, which is a bit darker, and there is a Dark Green V-2 which is very dark.
    No matter what green i got off him, i'd say it was wrong Not sure why my wife calls me a butt head, but this may have something to do it with.....

I never knew there was a green V2, one day we need to make up a colour chart of all your colours with a picture of our cast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    No matter what green i got off him, i'd say it was wrong Not sure why my wife calls me a butt head, but this may have something to do it with.....

I never knew there was a green V2, one day we need to make up a colour chart of all your colours with a picture of our cast.
    Tazza
    Sent you a PM.

Not really a waste.
    I figured that would probably be the case with the stuff Joe gives you. I just hate seeing things being wasted, how I was brought up I suppose (I don't throw things out until they're absolutely beyond repair).
    As for the colours being horrible you just need to keep mixing them and eventually you're bound to come up with something usable.

Boolit Master
    I figured that would probably be the case with the stuff Joe gives you. I just hate seeing things being wasted, how I was brought up I suppose (I don't throw things out until they're absolutely beyond repair).
    As for the colours being horrible you just need to keep mixing them and eventually you're bound to come up with something usable.
    Not always just the colours not being right, it could have been samples that the chemistry was not yet sorted out for that colour, hense the testing and no point keeping them.

An interesting thing would be to test a known good sample that is as old as possible and see if it still works to prove it is shelf stable, being powder i'd suspect it would be. After it has been dissolved in Acetone, then it all changes. I don't store my left overs in the fridge, and it will only last a few months before it starts to clump up, but i try not to over mix too much for batches, so making it fresh every time is not an issue and i know it's good.

Joe
    Do you know how long the powder stays usable for it's intended use of keeping lead out of my barrel? I know from experience that the two part liquid coating darkens over time. How about the powder?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I had a sample of the gold 1035 that was around 5 years old.
    I coated some 44 240gnRNFP with it a few months ago.
    worked perfectly.
    Even the colour was right.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I had a sample of the gold 1035 that was around 5 years old.
    I coated some 44 240gnRNFP with it a few months ago.
    worked perfectly.
    Even the colour was right.
    That was the powder version?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Zipstar
    These Hi-Tek coatings over years, have been blended and mixed in all proportions and colours by people who want an individual finish.
    This mixing, has not affected performance of final coating if applied correctly.
    There should not be any ill effects by mixing, but I am just curious, as to why you would want to consider mixing colours?
    People had produced a Cammo finish with these coatings. I will try to get the picture uploaded so you can see how they finished up.
    Thank you. Ordered some gold and red copper along with some lube. Looking forward to trying them out. Don't have a real reason for mixing other than having something that approaches a copper jacket color. I'll experiment and mix a little of each just to see what I get.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    That was the powder version?
    Yes Sir.
    I still have the very first bottle of red copper liquid coating Joe sent me back in 2013. It's been living in the fridge in the shed.
    Might get it out one day and mix & coat with it just for S&Gs to see how it goes..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Thanks for the input Ausglock.

I also still have a little of the first coating I bought in 2014. It is the liquid 1035 Gold. It has been stored in the basement all this time. The last time I used it the bullets turned out a little dark but were fine when loaded and shot. No lead. Just ordered some 1035 Gold powder version.

With the liquid being good for that length of time I would expect the powder to be good for 15-20 years just sitting on the shelf. But I thought I would ask Joe what he thought.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input Ausglock.

I also still have a little of the first coating I bought in 2014. It is the liquid 1035 Gold. It has been stored in the basement all this time. The last time I used it the bullets turned out a little dark but were fine when loaded and shot. No lead. Just ordered some 1035 Gold powder version.

With the liquid being good for that length of time I would expect the powder to be good for 15-20 years just sitting on the shelf. But I thought I would ask Joe what he thought.
    Avenger
    Thanks for the question.
    My suggestion is to store the material out of sunlight in a well sealed container. We noticed that in clear jars the powder directly in contact with jar internally, the film on container internal surface became discolored by sunlight after a period . Upon opening the jar, the rest/bulk seems perfectly OK. Shaking sealed jar seems to mix in the discolored material, and seems not to affect final performance.
    I would not go as far as suggesting, that the product as a powder will be stable for years, but I could be wrong, with people supplying information of using powders after a couple of years and working OK.

Understand the caution in you answer Joe.

It looks like we will see how the powder holds up that is stored in my unheated uncooled basement. Do have humidity control. My oldest powder version is 5-6 years old. I think more toward the 6 years. Will have to get it out use it and report back. Think I'll use it to coat the 9mm bullets I am casting. 9mm should be a good test. Would expect no change in keeping the lead out. And as, I remember, this color is the Gun Metal. Will probably see no change in the color since it is already dark. May have a go at the next oldest if I can figure out which color it is.

Al right, have the bonded mold release powder in hand. And just to make sure I mix it right, when it says 5 gm per 150 ml of acetone that is a weighed 5 gm right?
    Just asking the dumb question.

Boolit Master
    Correct.... 5 grams by weight to 150mls of acetone or MEK.
    Also.. the bonded release can be removed with acetone if you need to clean your molds or do maintainance to them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;5201589]Understand the caution in you answer Joe.

Avenger,
    The coatings are made and supplied with users intent to use them.
    I don't understand why any one would need to store the coating for years. It is designed to be used in reasonable timeframe. I understand that some folk don't produce and coat many projectiles.
    The facts are, the Hi-Tek goes a very long way with using small amounts, so, buying quantities needed regularly, to suit volume production needs, is better option. If you have any left over, you can be assured it will work after storing it for a reasonable time. This eliminates questions arising about years of stability and use ability of stored coating .

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=HI-TEK;5204212]
    Understand the caution in you answer Joe.

Avenger,
    The coatings are made and supplied with users intent to use them.
    I don't understand why any one would need to store the coating for years. It is designed to be used in reasonable timeframe. I understand that some folk don't produce and coat many projectiles.
    The facts are, the Hi-Tek goes a very long way with using small amounts, so, buying quantities needed regularly, to suit volume production needs, is better option. If you have any left over, you can be assured it will work after storing it for a reasonable time. This eliminates questions arising about years of stability and use ability of stored coating .
    When i was younger and i thought "smarter" (2 years or so ago) i was unaware that mixed hitek powder does indeed go off if left in the Brisbane heat, even though it was in a shed, it clumped up and did not dissolve once being left for a few months. My idea was to mix up decent sized batches and use what i needed and leave it for next time. I later found out that was not a wise move, after Joe advised me to just mix what i need plus a small buffer to know there was enough. Easy enough to calculate how much you need when you know your application rate per KG.

If it's mixed fresh, you know the colour will be right each and every time. For the amount of waste generated by making new batches if the remaining mixed hi-tek is not used fast enough is really not an issue, it's only a few bucks worth that is disposed of. I'm happy to mix it fresh instead of having to spend hours re-casting if i applied "stale" hitek and it did not work. I only ever seem to dump 30-50ml which i'm ok with.

Page 716 of 742 FirstFirst ... 216616666706707708709710711712713714715716717718719720721722723724725726 ... LastLast