Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reloading press that catches ALL the primers?

Boolit Master

Reloading press that catches ALL the primers?

I want to size brass on a pedestal stand on my Porch while the weather is nice. SWMBO probably would not like a lot of spent primers on the Porch.

I need a recommendation.

CDD

Boolit Master
    The older Hornady Pro-Jector progressive presses feed all of the primers down the center of the ram into a brass tube. They came with a little film can sized container on the end of the tube which held about 150 primers, but you can add some plastic tubing to drop them in a bucket. The newer L&L progressives may be set up the same way.
    BD

In Remebrance

Forster Co-Ax.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Here is what I did to my Lee Turret Press. It is nothing more than a plastic storage bin cut down. My newest is a Red one with a piece of aluminum bent rivited to keep the odd primer from bouncing out the back.

Boolit Buddy
    on my dillon 1050 I used a 223 case cutoff and shove (friction fit) under the plate where the primers get ejected. Some plastic tubing and a bucket then Voila... no spent primers o nthe floor.

Might be able to implement same idea on yours.

Steven

Boolit Grand Master

I use an old Lyman AA and put a little tray under the shell holder. Works like a champ. The New Lee cast iron presses all have a built in catcher.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I use the same five gallon plastic bucket that I store junk brass in. It never misses a primer from either the RCBS RS4 single stage or the Dillon Square Deal progressive. However the "new" Lyman Tru Line Junior is presenting a challenge. I'm thinking #10 washtub! I once had to have a wire haired Fox Terrier X rayed and the vet asked me what the strange image was. It was a small pistol primer, anvil side up! You can't catch all the primers.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    My Lee Classic Turret press catches them all IF I leave the priming arm in place.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    My Lee Classic Turret press catches them all IF I leave the priming arm in place.
    Hmmm, I have never used it and may just have to try that one. What do you do when it fills up that reservoir...just empty it? Now THAT was a dumb question eh? DOH

Tnx,

Dave

Lee Classic Cast press or Classic Cast Turret press, run tube into an empty jar/bucket/whatever and deprime to your hearts content. Same thing can be done with the Redding Big Boss and Foster Co-Ax can havve a length of pvc pipe put on it in place of the jar to do the same thing.
    cw

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Forster Co-Ax or RCBS Pro-2000. Both use the same design where the primer drops through the bottom of the press into a tube into a catch jar. So does any unburned powder or primer residue, it's all caught in the jar.

Boolit Grand Master

I recommend you spread an old sheet under the table and use the press you already have.

Moderator Emeritus
    RCBS Rockchucker after I fitted a strip of square section dowel into the primer arm channel, I prime off press, leaving a gap sufficient at the bottom of the channel for the primer to run out into the primer catcher tray, never had the RC bounce a primer out of the tray after I did that simple mod.

I also use a Co-ax , Redding Ultramag and T7 and a Hornady LnLAP and they all drop the primers through the ram and out a plastic pipe into a gallon plastic can.

My RCBS Ammomaster progressive also catches its primers in plastic bottle via a plastic tube from the deprime/resize station.

All the above work as advertised and I don't get any wayward primers, so I'm a happy chappy.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    I I once had to have a wire haired Fox Terrier X rayed and the vet asked me what the strange image was. It was a small pistol primer, anvil side up! You can't catch all the primers.

Was that primer live or fired?

I have a RC, Lee Classic Turret, Lee Hand press and Lee Challenger and all will catch spent primers. The hand press you have to remove the shellholder and dump it out every 20-25 primers.

Boolit Grand Master

My Lee challenger didn't catch all the primers so I took some sheet metal and built the catcher box up higher and now it catches almost all of them!
    Aim small, miss small!

After years of chasing spent primers around the house, catching them became a major issue in selecting a press. I have two presses that catch 100% of spent primers, routing them to a length of tubing below the press. This tubing can be capped so that a receptical is not needed for a long while.

The presses are a Redding T=7 and a Hornady Lock-n-Load Progressive. What a pleasure to not have to pick up primers anymore.

I have the cheapo Lee "C" press that collects all of the primers in the frame of the press. I cut a hole in my bench under the pressand mounted a peanut butter jar lid with a hole in it. I just screw the jar onto the lid and it catches about 93% of them. My Dillon progressives catch most of them, but I cant easily take them out on my porch. My rockchucker, and my Lyman turret mis about every 3rd primer and they bounce onto the floor. It used to drive me nuts. I love the little lee for depriming and for using a Lee Ram prime. I have another at my camp just for preppin' brass. http://mybulletbarn.com/reloadroom/ you can see the Lee setup. I think it's about the 3rd pic down from the top.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!